Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Upgrading AV Amp

Tags
upgrading
3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  eugovector 
#1 ·
I am getting rid of my Yamaha RX-V765 and I have short listed potential amps to sit on my rack

Onkyo 807, Yam RX-V2065 and Denon 2310. 3D business isn't important to me. Sound is. So which one will drive my Missions best ladies and gents?

#3 ·
I am in the UK. I am aware this is a Yankee based site. I just want something that will perform well music wise via iPod. I know a stereo amp will perform better. A av amp that will perform well with music and movies. I have only listened to Onkyo 607 wasn't impressed. I am using Mission speakers

#6 ·
Unless you are prepared to spend a pretty good deal of money on your receiver (over $1,000) I would buy the receiver based upon features, NOT specs and surely not power specs. I am not saying everyone needs a $1,000 receiver, most don’t, I am saying that from my experience receivers/amps won’t have much audible difference unless they are pushed into distortion. In fact there has been a $10,000 challenge out there for more than 10 years to anyone who can reliably hear the difference between any two amps of any design as long as they aren’t pushed to distortion. To date thousands of people have taken the challenge including professional reviewers and nobody has even come close to winning the money.

#7 ·
Unless you are prepared to spend a pretty good deal of money on your receiver (over $1,000) I would buy the receiver based upon features, NOT specs and surely not power specs.
Sorry but what is your point there? as features are meaningless if the sound is not up to scratch, surely you would purchase an AVR for the SQ as well, leaving out the $10,000 thing :scratch:

#12 ·
Mike P
Thanks for posting a link to the challenge. I didn't think about how many responses that might make and I certainly didn't mean to send the conversation off track, sorry about that. I was however trying to make a point. I don't mean to be argumentative but I don't think people can really hear a lot of difference "just because of the amplifier", I think there are more factors at work there, that's all I'm saying. Please don't misunderstand me, I am not trying to say people aren't hearing a difference. We all need to take the emotion out of our perceptions. WE all want to hear or see a difference with the new gadget we just used our hard earned money to purchase. If you think you hear a difference and you enjoy it then great, you have made the right choice for you and your situation. Happy listening.

#11 ·
I do think it's pretty tough to really tell the difference between receivers based on sound. I think your best bet is to go on reliability, features, and personal preference. Personal preference normally goes with how the menus work how the back is laid out etc. I think my next receiver I'll probably try out a Denon. But I did really like the Onkyo I had.

A lot of differences people hear can be a difference in volume too.

#13 ·
No, I just think his post did not make much sense that is why I asked what exactly is your point, amps may be difficult to determine which is better but the processing, pre-amp stage and DAC's will all determine the overall sound and especially with music, when I went from an Onkyo 905 to an Arcam AVR600 the difference was massive IMO, with the SQ taking a leap forward for both movies and music, even more so for music.

To say all AVR's or processors sound the same is just not right.

#17 ·
I must note that power does come into play when speaker size, room size and volume are a concern. The circuitry involved in the unit is what factors in the sound quality IMO.

Now i have to say this is based off of personnal experiance: when Class D amps first became available for full range audio i bought one for a car audio system i had and right when i fired it up i could not tolerate the way it sounded, now do to it being a newer tecnology for full range i knew that it was the amp i was hearing the sound differance from. Now days Class D has come such along ways i think it would be hard for one to tell the differance.:T

#18 ·
I'd like to add that, in my opinion, 3 good receivers should all sound the same: they should have low distortion for minimal coloration of the sound. Any receiver that does anything other than present the source material flat from 20-20k and beyond is introducing a flaw, not a feature. The exception to this rule would be room correction filters, but once again, the goal of these should be a flat 20-20k or the perception there of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.