Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Need some help...

Tags
help...
1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bambino 
#1 ·
I've searched these forums over and over and I'm still confused. I can't decide which receiver I need or whether I'll be in good shape just getting a HTIB.

I currently have a Yamaha HTIB and have had no problems with it and it sounds good (in my opinion because I'm not an audiophile). The only problem I have is that I bought this HTIB a few years ago so there are no HDMI inputs and seeing that I have an Xbox 360, a DirecTV HD-DVR, Samsung Blu-Ray Player, and an HTPC that uses HDMI. Needless to say I need some HDMI inputs.

With that being said, I am confused as to which direction to go. I can either spring for a new AVR which the uses will only be for 80% movies, 15% games, 5% music. I will be using this with a Hitachi Plasma and soon in the future will be using with an Optoma HD20. So I would like a AVR that I can run one HDMI cable from the receiver to video source (plasma and/or projector).

The only speakers I have is the mediocre speakers and sub that came with the HTIB. So if I bought a new AVR then it will be a long time probably until I can get some speakers as well. So I'm wondering whether I should get an AVR and run them on the mediocre Yamahas (if so, then some recs please). Or whether I should attempt to sell the entire Yahama HTIB and buy another HTIB (if so, then some recs please). Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I've been having a lot of trouble trying to decide. Some sides notes is that I don't want to spend a lot of money, I don't want any high-end audio equipment and I'm not interested and probably never will be interested in 3D. I also prefer new equipment.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there,

An AVR is the best all round choice, but as you point out you need to also buy speakers. The speakers from your HiTB will probably work with an AVR, but chances are the sub wont. That basically means that if you buy an AVR, you will very likely need to buy a sub as well. An AVR gives masses more flexibility than any HiTB, even a budget one, but if your not going to buy a sub, then I would probably think twice.

My personal recommendation would be to get the AVR, but its ultimately your choice, especially given the subwoofer issue. If you want a new HiTB, the I believe there is a forum section for the best ones to look out for, but they arent really my field of expertise as I dont bother with them generally myself.

#3 ·
Hello,
I agree completely with Dan. Moreover, if you can sell your current HTIB, that would be the ideal solution.
From there, there are truly a plethora of Entry Level AVR's that will provide superior sound quality and flexibility as Dan spoke of.

However, the greatest gains will be from using Speakers and a Subwoofer that do not come from a packaged system. Depending on budget, used Speakers might be a good way to go. I would definitely recommend looking locally for Speakers. Audiogon is a great resource. In addition, Craigslist and Ebay might work for you depending on where you live.

I suppose the direction to go is to find out how much money you can recoup from selling your HTIB and what additional resources you have to put a HT together. I truly think it is a better route to start with a quality AVR and Pair of Speakers if you cannot go for 5 Speakers and a quality Subwoofer all at once.
Cheers,
JJ

#4 ·
I agree with the above posts, do the AVR first according to your budget then save and buy some decent speakers, there are a ton of great deals out there to be had that will put any HTIB to shame even if you have to use your current speakers now you'll still be in better shape just because of the added features.:T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.