onkyo reciever keeps shutting off - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 17671 - Replies: 10  
Old 10-20-10, 02:33 PM   #1
Shackster

william
Since: Feb 2010
hannibal ny
I started this thread.
onkyo reciever keeps shutting off

i have a onkyo ht-r667 reciever that keeps shutting off as soon as you turn it on my waranty is gone im pretty sure its in what onkyo calls protect mode is there anything i can do to fix tried a couple of resets still same problem called onkyo they said it needed to be serviced called the only only service center near me and was absolutly discusted.dont get me wrong i dont have a problem with people making money but when they told me on the phone that theres a flat rate of 150.00 and that dont even cover parts and labor that pretty much covers them telling you whats wrong with it thats just highway robbery. any ideas suggestions would hate just to trash it does anyone know of sombody that could fix it for a reasonable price......please help

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-10, 02:36 PM   #2
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Platinum Supporter

Anthony
Since: Oct 2006
Virginia
Re: onkyo reciever keeps shutting off

Unplug all your speakers from the back. If it still goes into protect mode when you try to turn it on, something is wrong inside and you need to send it in.

If the unit fires up fine with the speakers unplugged, then you have a short somewhere in your speaker wiring and the amp is (rightfully) protecting itself.

Good luck.

Old 10-21-10, 02:42 PM   #3
Shackster

ryan
louisville KY

If it works with the speakers removed, take a Volt Ohm meter and test resistance on each speaker wire pair to narrow down the culprit.

Old 10-21-10, 04:18 PM   #4
Elite Shackster

bambino
Iowa

Quote:
Anthony wrote: View Post
Unplug all your speakers from the back. If it still goes into protect mode when you try to turn it on, something is wrong inside and you need to send it in.

If the unit fires up fine with the speakers unplugged, then you have a short somewhere in your speaker wiring and the amp is (rightfully) protecting itself.

Good luck.

Old 10-21-10, 04:41 PM   #5
Elite Shackster

David
Fontana, CA

Quote:
123loomis wrote: View Post
i have a onkyo ht-r667 reciever that keeps shutting off as soon as you turn it on ...
When did this happen??? Did you make any changes??? Was it working before???

I agree with Anthony, if the AVR works with the speakers disconnected, check all wires to see that they're not touching; maybe a staple or nail cut them and there making a short circuit

Old 10-21-10, 10:22 PM   #6
Shackster

william
hannibal ny
I started this thread.

everthing is unhooked still same problem

Old 10-22-10, 01:05 AM   #7
Banned!

Since: May 2009
London UK

Quote:
123loomis wrote: View Post
everthing is unhooked still same problem
Then it must be the AVR which has developed a fault and that will need to go in for repair, some sound advice from Anthony in the first Instance for fault finding

I hope you get it sorted quickly!

Old 10-22-10, 07:25 AM   #8
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Platinum Supporter

Anthony
Virginia

Some units have a factory reset procedure that usually involves holding down a button for 15 seconds or holding the power while you plug it in. It wipes all the user settings, but puts everything back to the original state.

Not likely to fix it, but worth a shot in case this is an internal "software" glitch. Hopefully someone here knows it for Onkyo products and can help. It may even be in the regular user manual towards the back in the troubleshooting section.

Otherwise, back for repairs. Might be covered under warranty. Sometimes they get extended (due to a known fault) or the CS rep is nice and they honor it anyways. I had my Marantz fixed out of warranty several years ago. Cost me $280 total to replace two output stages (2 channels blew in the amp section). This was local, though, no shipping required.

Good luck.

Old 10-22-10, 04:15 PM   #9
Elite Shackster

bambino
Iowa

The reset procedure should be in the manual, mine is but i've got a Denon. If not in there check the website for resetting. I really hope this will help but i have a good feeling it's an internal problem beyond a glitch. Good luck and let us know how you come out.

Old 10-22-10, 04:50 PM   #10
Elite Shackster

David
Fontana, CA

Did you follow this procedure??? (Is in the manual page 92)

Can't turn on the AV receiver
The amp protection circuit has been activated.
Remove the power cord from the wall outlet immediately.
Disconnect all speaker cables and input sources,
and leave the AV receiver with its power cord disconnected
for 1 hour. After that, reconnect the power cord
and set the volume to maximum. If the AV receiver
stays on, set the volume to minimum, disconnect the
power cord, and reconnect your speakers and input
sources. If the AV receiver turns off when you set the
volume to maximum, disconnect the power cord, and
contact your Onkyo dealer

I also found this to reset AVR...

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...in-my-ht-s6100

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »