Onkyo Receivers....

5K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  recruit 
#1 ·
Ok looking at some referbs at A4L

Onkyo TX-SR608 300$

Onkyo TX-SR707 349$

Onkyo TX-NR708 489$

Onkyo TX-NR807 429$

Which one is the best deal!? Wife said I she'd buy me one under 400$.... well um yeah...

#2 ·
The Onkyo TX-NR807 is the AVR with the biggest discount. Both this AVR and the 708 offer Internet Radio and Firmware Updates via Ethernet. The Models ending in 8 are fully 3D Capable. If 3D is not important, I would get the TX-NR807 as it offers Preamp Outputs, MultEQ, Internet Radio, THX Certification and Post Processing and more. It was over a Thousand Dollar AVR and gives room for growth.
Cheers,
JJ

#4 ·
I just received my 707 today. It looks like brand new for the most part! It sounds awesome as well. It's totally different than the Yamaha I had before. So it will take me (newb) a while to figure out how to get the best sound. I think this model comes with Preamp Outputs?

#5 ·
Newbie here. Could somebody post a link or give a URL to A4L? A quick search did not yield a relevant site.
I am beginning research on a HT setup and have been looking at the Onkyo receivers. I have no problem buying refurbs as long as they have a legit warranty. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#9 ·
The thing that makes me nervous about the Onkyo TX-NR807 are all the negative reviews with network issues, clicking and dialog drop outs. When I went to listen to one at the local store, it went silent for a few seconds. Any one of you HT guys had or know of folks with these issues? The thing that really bugs me out is just about every HT computer/receiver seems to have a lot of these issues.

Thought appreciated,

Dan

#10 ·
I have heard about some issues, but it pales in comparison to Denon's xx10 Series which are now experiencing a raft of Network Card Failures a year later . I have experienced no Network Issues to speak of with the AVR I Own.
JJ

#12 ·
Thanks guys! Just don't know if I should pull the trigger on one of these units. Seems like every company has their plusses and minuses and it seems they all do things I want and don't do things I want. Pretty much every review I read talks about some bizarre issues as well no matter what you buy. Perhaps that's just part of the 'tech' age.:foottap:

Dan

#13 ·
Ok, was looking at the receivers I gave..... Now figuring out cables. Besides speaker cable, I will have a Sony 52xbr9, PS3, and cable box hooked up. So I was figuring I need...
HDMI cables for Cable Box, PS3 to Receiver 1 For receiver to TV
Optical into receiver from PS3 and Tv
..... am I missing anything?

#14 ·
I do not see the need for an Optical Cable. It looks like all that is needed is HDMI, Speaker Cables, and the provided Power Cables.
JJ

#18 ·
Ok, so just so I got this right.....

A) how do I get sound from TV to Receiver?

B) Run PS3 into Receiver which will deliver sound automatically

C) I don't ALWAY have a cable box on that TV.... So if I do, HDMI from Cable Box to Receiver will deliver audio

D) Then I run HDMI from Receiver to TV which will send video signal

This is the first time I have used a receiver like this so it is totally greek to me! Thanks for the help and understanding LOL

#19 ·
If not using a Cable Box on your TV, you will need to run a Optical Digital Cable or other Audio Cable for Sound when watching TV without an HDMI Source. However, I think it might be possible to set the TV's HDMI Audio Output to on and get Sound. It is rare to read of Setups where a Sat or Cable Box is not used.

It would be best and easier to keep a Cable Box in the HT as it would make it far easier to setup and use. If using all HDMI, all that is needed is to run Monitor Out from the AVR to one of the TV's HDMI Inputs and be done.
JJ

#20 ·
#24 ·
Thanks guys. Yea, I just couldn't pass it up. I only wish they had the 876--the measurements on that are insane! Anyway, I may well need some help from you guys before too long getting this up and running. This is my first HT receiver and I have to admit it's hard to keep my mouth closed while reading about this thing. It's crazy what they can do. I'm hoping to set it all up tomorrow! I also got a 42" Panasonic plasma and TV stand for it. Should make for a good weekend I hope--and a lot more time to come.

Dan

#26 ·
I got a 3 year warranty. Problem is they will only replace it with something that costs a similar amount. However, they will repair it if possible.

Holy bleep! This thing has POWER! I've never owned anything like this before. This could be fun.

OK, I have a problem however. It doesn't have the calibration mic. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks again gents,

Dan

#29 ·
First off, you should have Onkyo's 2 year Warranty for the first 2. Second, the Mic should cost under 40.00 and is available by Onkyo. Also, you should Register the AVR then and hopefully, you will have 2 years of Factory Warranty Coverage. This means during this time a full MSRP should be given.
Cheers,
JJ

#30 ·
Excellent! I'll register it today. They told me Onkyo's warranty was only like 90 days or something. That's why I bought the additional warranty. I contacted Onkyo about the mic, but no reply yet. Never thought to contact audyssey--thanks for the idea. I also contacted Frys and they said they had it in the store and I could come pick it up today. This is very cool. They just forgot to pack it up. It was in their theater demonstration room. Hopefully it hasn't been too abused. Everything seems to be working so far.

Thanks again guys,

Dan

#31 ·
Actually, Onkyo is where the Microphone needs to be ordered from. When I have Purchased Open Box Equipment, I have always gotten the full Coverage. When Registering I have not been asked if it was Open Box. Unless asked to disclose this, do not mention it.

If the receipt said Open Box, then perhaps the 90 Day Terms apply, but even then I have gotten the Manufacturers Coverage.
Cheers,
JJ

#33 ·
Well I got the Onkyo TX-SR707 and boy can't be happier! That thing is fantastic! Starting to learn all the in's and out's of it (WOW didn't know there could be so much!) and enjoy it very much! Actually inspired me to hook my other receiver up the "proper" way.

Got a question for someone. Watching TV last night receiver had been on for like 3 hrs on volume like 50ish and got near receiver and noticed it was very warm! Is this normal? My cheaper Sony never gets that hot.

I'll be back with more questions for you HT experts I'm sure! Thanks all for the help so far!

#35 ·
To tell you the truth I haven't turned it up past like 60-65, lol how far does it go? Noticed on TV that mid 50's is way to the left, how high does volume go?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.