Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

DAC info in the Onkyo tx-sr608

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  bushy007 
#1 ·
Hey is there anyone out there that knows how the DAC works in the mentioned receiver? I'm mostly inputting 44.1/16 music from an airport express via toslink and i know that the Burr Brown DAC in this unit is 'spec'd' for 192/24 my question is i guess does it convert it automatically or is there some other process that happens. I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting from my system but i really just want to know if its outputting at the higher rate or not.. thank you in advance.

#2 ·
Hi Bushy and welcome to the Home Theatre Shack :T

IIRC it upsamples the incoming signal so that it outputs at the DAC's ability, obviously there would be some other DSP input if using a xover for the speakers and maybe a surround codec, but I stand to be corrected if this is not the case but that is my understanding of it.

#3 ·
hi and thanks recruit,
OK so if I'm inputting the 44.1/16 signal into the receiver the DAC automatically outputs it at something closer to 192/24? Thanks, I've been trying to find some info on this question since i got the new AVR. The theater is the main use for it but I'm becoming more obsessed with high quality music and knowing how it actually works and eventually working out how to get more out of it is my main worry. Awesome thanks.

#5 ·
Hello,
It is with SACD, DVD-A, and Blu Rays where the AVR will see higher Bit Length Material and the AVR will output above 16 bit/44.1 Output.

And indeed this can sound quite good especially compared to poorly Encoded MP3 Files. 24/192 DAC's originally showed up around the time of SACD/DVD-A.
Cheers,
JJ

#7 ·
Hello,
Unless you are playing a Disc that contains Material above 16/44, the AVR will not Upsample CD's, DVD's or, TV to 24/192.
Cheers,
JJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.