Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Replacement for Onkyo TX-SR805???

5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  robsong 
#1 ·
I just sold my Onkyo SR805 and I'm looking for a new receiver. I'm using NHT speakers in a 7.1 set up. The NHT speakers I have are the VT-1.2 towers, VS-2a center and 2 VS1.2 for Surr-back and 2 super zero for Surr-rears. These are soft dome tweeters with a sensitivity of 86bd if that matters. :help:

#2 ·
Hello,
If you don't mind me asking, why led you to decide to sell your 805? In truth, it had an Amplifier Section far more powerful than anything approaching its price.

Especially with NHT Speakers not being very efficient, it is going to require a pretty expensive and powerful AVR to equal what the 805 offered. It might be best to purchase a cheaper AVR with Preamp Outputs and add an outboard Amplifier to get the best from your Speakers.
Cheers,
JJ

#5 ·
Hello,
That actually changes things a great bit as it is an excellent Amplifier and means the AVR just needs to drive the Surrounds.

What is your budget? Something like Pioneer's 1120 or Onkyo's TX-NR708 would work well for you. If 3D is not something you are interested in, there are some great values out there on HDMI 1.3 AVR's and you could get a great deal more AVR for your money.
JJ

#7 ·
What is the preferred amount you wish to spend and how many HDMI Inputs are you wanting?

#11 ·
#14 ·
Hello,
A B-Stock TX-NR3007 would fit your budget with room to spare and give you tons of HDMI Inputs (7), Audyssey MultEQ XT, Internet Radio and Firmware Updates , THX Ultra 2 Plus, and much more
Here is a link:http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...s-channel-9.2-Channel-Network-Receiver/1.html

I am also quite impressed with Yamaha's new Avantage AVR's like the A2000 that was recommended by John. If 3D is not in the cards, the 3007 would work well. The 3008 is quite nice as well, but slightly over your stated budget.
Cheers,
JJ

#16 · (Edited)
When the broadcast source information changes , Such as commercials vs the main program , or previews on a Bluray vs the movie itself , Most change that I know of, at least Onkyos , and Kenwood , and Yamaha . it's not really noticeable to me, though some are louder than others. Even if you have a Direct TV HD sat box it is the same, esp noticeable when flipping between different HD channels. Just keep in mind (the clicking is a characteristic) not a defect

#18 ·
Hello,
I have had no issues with the 3007. So long as the Listening Preferences are set to Surround Modes on 2 Channel information like non HD TV, I rarely hear clicks when watching TV and going from 2.0 and 5.1.

There are not any known major issues with the 3007. I purchased mine a few months ago well after its replacement had been announced. I researched it a fair amount and certainly had no trepidation about purchasing one. I have no interest in 3D so getting an HDMI 1.3 AVR with the latest Audyssey, Dolby, and THX Technologies that were not available on the TX-SR875 I used prior made sense to me.

Mind you, I am strictly using the 3007 as a Pre Amp and have not even hooked up a Speaker Cable to the Binding Posts of the 3007, but it has worked quite well in this application.
Cheers,
JJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.