Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

AVR help.

Tags
avr
2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Interspy24 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Long time no see.

Ill be honest. Since completing my living room I havent paid any attention to what is new etc. I have to many hobbies as it is. My wife wont let me have another one. :)

I have a Pio. TSX 82txi elite. All of a sudden my Left output quit working. I am saying it is the left output because I swapped L and R wires and the sound moved to the Left. I dont know what to do about it really. Its not under warranty any more so I may tear it apart. Does anyone have ideas as to what is wrong or how to fix it. I really dont have the money for a new AVR but if thats what I have to do I will as I gotta have sound. :clapper:

I read Hugh's thread on suggestions. Im not sure I would go with another Pio. I have been thinking about a new Yammy 1000 but the price of that is up there. I know I paid a lot for my Pio but I agree with Cujo that the cheaper ones should be almost just as good any more. All I have to have is 5 channel output with sub, hdmi switching as I only have an HDMI cable to the TV. I have to hook up hdmi, component to the receiver to output to HDMI to the TV which is a 1080p set. These are hooked up to X series speakers. LS and CS.

SO..what do I dooooo.

Thanks for the advice.

Dusty

See less See more
#2 ·
AVR Budget / features looking for?

What is your budget?
What capabilities do you need?

I am helping a friend build a HT and he is talking to Jason Turk at AVS about a Denon 4311CI.
Has Audyssey XT32 / DSX and can calibrate two subs.
MRSP $2000, but less from AVS

Discontinued Denon 4310CI is around $1150 at Amazon.

Mike

#3 ·
Hey man welcome back :) Long time no see!!

I'd say pick up a used Onkyo 805 and be done with it. GOBS of power, plenty of HDMI switching and upconversion, and good sound. I've had mine for 3 or so years with zero issues, it just keeps chuggin away all day long. Its really big and heavy and they can get a bit warm so just make sure you have plenty of ventilation and you'll be fine. I really don't think you can beat this AVR for the $500 or so they still go for.

Scott

I was just thinking, your CS and LS are Piano Rosewood aren't they??

#4 ·
One thing before you go out and spend more money in case its unnecessary. I would check to make sure it wasn't just the speaker wire from the left. I'd try using the speaker wire from the right with the left output and either speaker. If it works, then all you need is speaker wire.

As far as receivers go, I've had very good luck with Pioneers. Never a problem with any of them. I've never used anything else.

#5 ·
Mike, My budget would probably bee 1200 or less. I would really like to stay around the 500 mark as all the new receivers seem to do all I need it to.

All i need is to convert any video source to HDMI and play the latest suround codecs. I have a Wii, PS3 and cable box. I sometimes hook up the laptop or ipod to stream music. I am looking at an apple TV though for that and only cuz it integrates with Itunes really well.

I have been looking at the onkyo tx-sr806 or the marantz 6003 on AFL website. An HK would be good to if I can make sure its all Black and not silver and comes with the features I need.

Skeeter- Wazzzup.. :) Been a long time for sure. My X's yes they are PR. I wouldnt get rid of them for anything anymore. If I was loaded I would upgrade them with Ninja parts but since Im not they do just fine anyway.

Any more advice. I have always been a denon fanboy and then I got the pio and it worked well but with this issue Im not sure the quality is there unless something funky happened to this one. I dont like Denons new remotes though and their speaker setup doesnt seem as fine tuned as my Pio was/is. This is compared to a 3805 that my brother has.

#6 ·
One thing before you go out and spend more money in case its unnecessary. I would check to make sure it wasn't just the speaker wire from the left. I'd try using the speaker wire from the right with the left output and either speaker. If it works, then all you need is speaker wire.

As far as receivers go, I've had very good luck with Pioneers. Never a problem with any of them. I've never used anything else.

I did this. First I hooked up another speaker to the same terminal. It didnt work. I then flipped L and R speaker wires and the sound moved to the R speaker like I was expecting. It is either the binding post or something internal. It may be easy to fix but I know nothing about it and I dont have any Pioneer service centers here.

#8 ·
You should be able to find someone locally who can work on th eunit for you.

Another suggestion for a receiver is to take a look at ecost or Dakmart. They are authorized Denon dealers for recertified/refurb/B-stock. I have had great luck with them over the years (11 units of various types between me and some friends).

As an example, ecost has a 3310CI for $555 (originally $1499).

#9 ·
Why not another Pio Elite? The SC series with the ICEpower amp is nice. Since they just come out with the SC-35 you can find the SC-25 at discounted price.

Another alternative would be Marantz SR8002. Marantz also came out with new models, so the SR8002 is also discounted. Check out Amazon for price on the SR8002.

#10 ·
Thanks guys. I will be opening it up tomorrow night. I really hope its fixable but I have my doubts.

Ray thanks for the heads up. I will be looking into them now. :) Im still not sure I want a Denon as that remote they have is useless. But I do like their quality.

I am open to a marantz as well. Im just not sure though. :nervous:

#11 ·
Ok. After hours of reading what seems like every thread on every forum. I would like to try an onkyo but honestly everyone says that denon and marantz are better. it seems the older 5 series models are better then the newer models with the AMP and all that. My issue is I need to buy fro a store so I can get my points on my CC for a trip I want to take next year. :)

I was looking at the the 806 but havent seen very many positive reviews. So I began looking at the marantz 6003 and 8002. THey both look good and I can afford both. But which one should I get? I know nothing about marantz but that Dane loves them. :) I just would like to get something ordered today so I can have it before the weekend just in case I cant fix mine.

Thanks a ton guys.

#12 ·
Dusty,

The amp sections in the 805/875/905/876/906 and remarkable. The 806 and 807 were definitely a step down in the terms of the amp section. If you dont mind picking up a used receiver, Id definitely consider one of the onkyos. Customer support isnt so great, but they truly bang for the buck when it comes to big power.

For a new receiver, the new Pioneer 1120 is available for under $500 and is packed with features. It has good video processing found in the new oppo bluray players and is definitely worth a look.

The ice amps in the higher Pioneer Elite models are great as well. Check out the sc-35 or the previous model the sc25.

If you want the power and are willing to spend around $1k, Id definitely get the 1120 and adding an external amp. That combo will be the best of both worlds, the additional cost being the external amp vs its improvement to your setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.