Are Sherwood receivers good? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 11-05-11, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Are Sherwood receivers good?

I am new to home theater. I have finally decided to take the plunge on a 2.0 setup. I will work my way up from there. But my question is are Sherwood receivers any good? What is the difference in Sherwood and Sherwood Newcastle? My budget is less than $400 and it seems like there are some in my price range. I welcome any direction and comments. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-05-11, 04:19 PM
Generic
Inactive

Re: Are Sherwood receivers good?

I'm sure others will jump in as well, but for $400, you could do so much better. Sherwood claims to make products for many brands, but I don't know what they are.

Check out these guys. http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html

Onkyo seems to be really big, and maybe their AVRs have some better EQ software, but I like Marantz myself. You couldn't really go wrong with Marantz, Denon, or Onkyo for 2.0 sound.

I couldn't find what I was looking for, about 4 years ago when I started looking to build a 2.1 system, but double check and see if anyone is offering a low level RCA sub out with a adjustable crossover, just in case you want to add a sub later. Of, if you are going with full range monkey coffins, then that may or may not matter to you.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-05-11, 06:30 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
Sherwood is indeed the OEM for an amazing number of Brands almost entirely in the <$500 AVR Range. I agree with the myriad of choices you have through AC4L. Also, Newegg is selling the RX-V867 for $400 (800 MSRP) and they also have many sales during the Weekend in that range. However, AC4L is the place for values.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #4 of 19 Old 11-05-11, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked and was wondering which is better between the Onkyo HT-RC360 or the Denon 1612?
post #5 of 19 Old 11-05-11, 11:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
The 360 is a whole lot more AVR. The 609 would also be a solid choice and even better, the 709.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #6 of 19 Old 11-06-11, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

The more I look the more I become confused. I'm looking at the HT-R360, the 708 and the Pioneer Elite vsx-32. Is it possible to go wrong with any one of these?
post #7 of 19 Old 11-06-11, 02:02 PM
Senior Shackster

Sherwood does OEM for quite a few manufacturers and the AVR's they put out under their own name are actually quite good for the price, that said there are a ton of options in that price range so go put your hands and ears on as many receivers as you can find.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ISF Certified, HAA Trained, THX Installer I, Crestron Level II programmer, URC and RTI trained.
And various others but too much to list.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-06-11, 06:11 PM
Senior Shackster

I have read reviews of the Sherwood Newcastle line and they are quite good. Amongst the Sherwood product lineup I'd consider the upscale Newcastle version of Sherwood products. Good luck on your search.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-06-11, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I have heard the amplifier section in the Newcastle line is robust. Is this true? I don't want a receiver that is rated at 100 watts per channel but is actually 20 watts.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-07-11, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Ok one last question. I have narrowed my search to the Sherwood Newcastle r-772, the Onkyo HT-R360 and the Pioneer Elite vsx-31. The speakers are 6 ohm by the way and the space is 17 by 21. Mostly movies and everyday tv watching. Some gaming and I hope to enjoy music more finally. I don't have a lot of cash to spend and this will have to last for a few years until I finish school. Thanks for any replies.