Need recommendations for Amp - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 1958 - Replies: 19  
Old 12-12-11, 12:21 PM   #11
Shackster

Since: Nov 2011
My System
I started this thread.
Re: Need recommendations for Amp

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

The generally-accepted solution is to use a wall wart with the correct voltage plugged into the receiverís switched outlet.

Regards,
Wayne
So this opens up a new arena. Any 12V wall wart will do I take it? Sounds like there is no one specific item to look for. Also, I think the Emotiva has a female end for the trigger which means these wall warts (also with female) would need a little male to male adapter.

This definitely seems more authoritative than relying on zone trigger methods in the Onkyo.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-11, 02:32 PM   #12
Elite Shackster

Since: Apr 2006
Katy, Texas

Quote:
Any 12V wall wart will do I take it? Sounds like there is no one specific item to look for.
Naturally, you have to use one with the correct voltage output and amperage capability.

Quote:
Also, I think the Emotiva has a female end for the trigger which means these wall warts (also with female) would need a little male to male adapter.
Where are you shopping? I’ve never seen a wall ward with a female plug on it.

Regards,
Wayne

Old 12-12-11, 03:32 PM   #13
Shackster

My System
I started this thread.

Quote:

Naturally, you have to use one with the correct voltage output and amperage capability.

Where are you shopping? Iíve never seen a wall ward with a female plug on it.

Regards,
Wayne
Okay maybe I should just ask if there are any recommended wall warts for the XPA-3/5. It's a little embarrassing to think I can't get the sexes right with these things maybe I should be laughing.

Old 12-12-11, 07:26 PM   #14
Senior Shackster

Kalani
Since: Dec 2008
Studio City, CA, USA
My System

Why not just use a Smart power strip to trigger the outboard Amp?

(I'm not clear on why you have problems with simple 12v triggers, however)

Old 12-12-11, 09:27 PM   #15
Shackster

My System
I started this thread.

Quote:
KalaniP wrote: View Post
Why not just use a Smart power strip to trigger the outboard Amp?

(I'm not clear on why you have problems with simple 12v triggers, however)
I've got 2 dedicated 20amp circuits with 20amp power strips.

Old 12-13-11, 09:49 AM   #16
Elite Shackster

Since: Apr 2006
Katy, Texas

Quote:
azaze1 wrote: View Post
Okay maybe I should just ask if there are any recommended wall warts for the XPA-3/5.
The XPA manual should say what voltage/amperage is needed for the trigger.

Regards,
Wayne

Old 12-13-11, 11:22 AM   #17
Shackster

My System
I started this thread.

Quote:

The XPA manual should say what voltage/amperage is needed for the trigger.

Regards,
Wayne
Oh well, I just took a look at the manual for my receiver (TX-NR5008) and it appears there's no switched AC power in the back so wall warts are off the table. My only choice is a zone2/zone3 trigger connection.

Ugg.. Oh well.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 12-13-11, 06:27 PM   #18
Senior Shackster

Since: May 2011

Quote:
azaze1 wrote:

Oh well, I just took a look at the manual for my receiver (TX-NR5008) and it appears there's no switched AC power in the back so wall warts are off the table. My only choice is a zone2/zone3 trigger connection.

Ugg.. Oh well.

Thanks for all the help.
I use my onkyo triggers with no problems for both my bryston and outlaw amps in my home theater. I set the delays so that neither of my 2 20 amp circuits overload.

The preamp is on third circuit .

Old 02-29-12, 05:55 PM   #19
Senior Shackster

Since: Aug 2010
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

Quote:
phreak wrote:
The Anthem PVA2 or PVA5 can be set to Auto, Trigger, or Manual on/off. I use the auto setting and it works great. My Onkyo powers on at -55dB, the Anthem powers on before I get the volume up near -30dB. It's a race between the PVA2 and the Sub 12's to see which comes on first, they run about 50/50.
Your other option, if you went with trigger switch, is pro amps such as QSC or Crown.
I thought I should put in an update here. I had only ran the Anthem PVA2 for a few days when I first posted in this thread. Now that I have spent a few months with it my perception of the auto on feature has degraded. My subs always turn on within seconds, but the amp sometimes lags behind, so that I have only center channel dialogue for up to a minute before L/R powers up. Is there an elegant way to trigger from an Onkyo 3008, or maybe I should trigger from my projector ?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
People think I'm strange, does it make me a stranger?

Old 02-29-12, 08:25 PM   #20
Senior Shackster

Since: May 2011

Quote:
phreak wrote:

I thought I should put in an update here. I had only ran the Anthem PVA2 for a few days when I first posted in this thread. Now that I have spent a few months with it my perception of the auto on feature has degraded. My subs always turn on within seconds, but the amp sometimes lags behind, so that I have only center channel dialogue for up to a minute before L/R powers up. Is there an elegant way to trigger from an Onkyo 3008, or maybe I should trigger from my projector ?
I use the triggers from my integra 80.2 to turn on the high power section of my panamax 5100for my Bryston and to switch on my 5 channel out law amp 3 sec for the Bryston and 10 sec for the outlaw.

Hopefully the 3008 will let do the same.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »