Need Help...Is Something Wrong With Pioneer Elite SC-25? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 2342 - Replies: 10  
Old 02-16-12, 06:39 AM   #1
Shackster

Since: Feb 2012
I started this thread.
Need Help...Is Something Wrong With Pioneer Elite SC-25?

I just purchased a used Pioneer SC25.

I am upgrading from an older Yamaha RX-V795. My front speakers are Paradigm 11seMkiii towers. This old set up sounded amazing but I wanted to upgrade to get the newest DTS/Dolby decoding.

Anyhow, so I set the SC25 up and it sounds very thin and tinny. Also the max volume on the SC25 is +12 and I need to put it up to at least 0 or +2 to have it sound loud (and it still sounds like garbage)! My old Yamaha was extremely loud at half volume, I couldn't even imagine going 3/4th to max volume on the Yamaha.

I ran the MACCAC and everything and it was no help. It sounded bad and thin and "quiet" in all modes including plain stereo (which is plain old 2 channel) and stream direct (which applies no processing and is only 2 channel). I did a master reset to get rid of the previous owners settings, and that did not make a difference.

I tried it with a Dave Matthews live in Radio City Blu-Ray, the FM Tuner, an iPod and all inputs sounded like garbage.

Is it possible that the receiver I bought is bad? Can a receiver be blown?

Thanks so much everyone!

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-12, 06:45 AM   #2
SAC
Banned!

SAC
Since: Dec 2009
CST
Re: Need Help...Is Something Wrong With Pioneer Elite SC-25?

Quote:
cjm8232 wrote: View Post
Is it possible that the receiver I bought is bad? Can a receiver be blown?
Is it possible that a used receiver can have performance issues?

ahhhhhhhh....yeah... (And I will be generous and not comment on how one can tell using DMB as an indicator, seeing as how the vocals are nasal and almost indistinguishable on a Good day...)

That is why it is normally best practice to test and examine used devices before purchasing or to have a good return policy in writing.

Old 02-16-12, 06:57 AM   #3
Shackster

I started this thread.

Yeah DMB is not ideal...I tried it with Stanley Clarke, Eric Clapton, and other inputs too.

Using it to watch Star Trek (movie) it sounded pretty good. It's mainly in 2 channel stereo listening that it really sounds like garbage.

Old 02-16-12, 07:17 AM   #4
SAC
Banned!

SAC
CST

The real problem is that with the use of such objective technical language that no one determine exactly what you are talking about except that you don't like it based upon the assessment that "it sounds like garbage".

With luck you can return it; but I suspect the seller is long gone and glad to be rid of the unit if it is indeed as you describe! Maybe next time you will test the equipment before purchasing what I am sure was probably assumed to be a 'steal' of a deal....

Old 02-16-12, 07:38 AM   #5
Shackster

I started this thread.

I described the sound as "thin" and "tinny" and lacking bass. To add further adjectives, I would say overly bright and harsh treble. I messed with the X-Curve which is supposed to quell some of the really high frequencies.

Actually I purchased it from Amazon so a return will not be any problem to return it, I am just not 100% sure that something is wrong with it.

Is possible that something is wrong with it, that it's putting out the above described sound? I am not trying to argue with you, I am just trying to determine if there is in fact something wrong.

Old 02-16-12, 08:08 AM   #6
SAC
Banned!

SAC
CST

All you have done is provide us with your subjective opinions, and you want us to evaluate the unit based on that.

Is the unit OK? Who knows.

Thus far you have defined that something is wrong.

That's all we have to go on.

So you are welcome to argue with me if you like - as based upon a lack of objective data, I have no idea as to if something is actually wrong or not, and if there is something wrong, what it might be. Perhaps it is a problem with my antenna, but my psychic abilities are ebbing today...

Good luck.

...As far as reasonable measures that YOU might do:
You might first obtain the user manual and make sure everything is configured as the Manufacturer intended and not simply as you assume...And if you suspect a problem, it might also be worth the minimal service fee for a local repair center to do a cursory once over on it.

Also, if there are any local dealers, it might be worthwhile to see if you can audition one with a source you are familiar with to see if the behavior is typical of the unit...

Noting that you mention that you got it from Amazon from a reputable dealer who offers returns, if you are not satisfied with it, I would definitely consider returning it, as there is no reason that you should settle for sub par response if you have the option...

Last edited by SAC; 02-16-12 at 08:36 AM..

Old 02-16-12, 08:09 AM   #7
Inactive

Ty
Since: Aug 2010
Panama City Fl

Welcome to Home Theater Shack .

Glad you got it off Amazon and have a good return policy, you know roughly what it should sound like and it sounds like you got a defective unit.

Old 02-16-12, 08:45 AM   #8
Shackster

I started this thread.

Thank you gentlemen for your input and time.

Old 02-16-12, 11:42 AM   #9
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Since: Jul 2009
Siesta Key, Florida

Hello,
I would be surprised if it was the AVR. The 11SEMKIII's are beasts and are not the easiest speakers to drive. In addition, 0db is considered Reference Level and is what your AVR is calibrated (via MCACC) to be and is the level that DVD's and Blu-rays are Mastered to be played back at. Also, with earlier AVR's, up to 75% of the gain was between 6 and 12 O'Clock. This was done for Customers to be blown away at how loud it was at say 30-40% of how high the Volume Knob went. The corollary being that past 12, most had little if any additional power.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer) Martin Logan Depth (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93, OPPO BDP-83 Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-51FD, OPPO DV-980H, Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS3 60 gb, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

Old 02-16-12, 11:51 AM   #10
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System

I would as usually have to agree with Jack, Are you following the proper instructions as to how you go about running the MMAC room correction? The mic needs to be placed on a tripod and be placed at ear height on the spot where you sit and you should be reading several positions not just one spot.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »