Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 11 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #101 of 944 Old 03-01-12, 04:03 PM
Shackster

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Got the 972 installed and everything seems to work OK. Initial problems w/no sound from DVD player, but found I had the audio output turned off in the setup of the player. Will try the Trinnov soon.

Update: Went a round with the Trinnov, then listened to "Master and Commander" on BluRay. Wow! I really like what this did to my surrounds...puts me right in the middle of the action. Much more airy and open sound. Played some tunes, too. Highs MUCH more open. Tom Petty's 12 string Rickenbacher on, "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better," is glorius! Was able to play tunes in both stereo and Dolby Pro Logic, but now just getting stereo. Any ideas?

Jim

Last edited by jaymz; 03-02-12 at 07:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 944 Old 03-01-12, 10:03 PM
Shackster
Ben

My System

False alarm. It appears the HDMI is more sensitive. I swapped out my SA 8300 DVR and the channels lock right in during resolution changes no snow now.

Ascend Sierra Towers RAAL | Ascend Sierra Horizon RAAL | Ascend HTM-200SE | Rythmik F15HP | Anthem MRX-520 | Sony PS3 | NEC PX-50XR5A | Meridian Explorer | OpenELEC Chromebox | Roku 3 | Samsung BDP-2550 | CalMAN HomeTheater | CalMAN C3 | HCFR | i1Display2 | MobileForge | REW | Cross Spectrum calibrated UMIK-1
post #103 of 944 Old 03-01-12, 10:22 PM
Shackster
Ben

My System

Initial measurement position 1 using rew and a calibrated mic from the listening position spatial was none and remapping none. Red is without room eq at none and blue is with it on Flat.
Attached Thumbnails
Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread-trinnov.jpg  

Ascend Sierra Towers RAAL | Ascend Sierra Horizon RAAL | Ascend HTM-200SE | Rythmik F15HP | Anthem MRX-520 | Sony PS3 | NEC PX-50XR5A | Meridian Explorer | OpenELEC Chromebox | Roku 3 | Samsung BDP-2550 | CalMAN HomeTheater | CalMAN C3 | HCFR | i1Display2 | MobileForge | REW | Cross Spectrum calibrated UMIK-1
post #104 of 944 Old 03-03-12, 08:44 AM
Shackster

My System

Problems....
Anyone have a situation where one of your speakers does not show up during Trinnov calibration?

Clarification: the speaker (rt front) shows up, but registers zilch after calibration.

Help!!!

Jim
post #105 of 944 Old 03-03-12, 09:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Jim,
That is a new one for me and I use Electrostats which are pretty unconventional. I will try to find out more about this and hopefully someone else here might have come across this.
J

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #106 of 944 Old 03-03-12, 09:24 AM
Shackster

My System

More to the story:

I use DT BP 2002 bipolar speakers. A call to Sherwood support (Jin) asked if I used Bi-polar speakers. Apparently there have been some problems with this type of speaker. I moved a piece of wifey's furniture and swapped speakers (subs now face inward), and finally managed to get a setup. My support call also revealed a possible firmware problem where you cannot manually delete the sub.
Tried several more times to get a setup, and now BOTH fronts seem to be missing. Jin said to keep moving the cal mic around and see what happens. He says he'll be back to me next week after the factory further investigates the sub issue. That issue is neither here nor there for me, but will keep trying to obtain another Trinnov calibration. At least I have ONE now.

How do you "lock" the setups so they can't be deleted?

Jim

Last edited by jaymz; 03-03-12 at 09:58 AM.
post #107 of 944 Old 03-03-12, 10:11 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
The Calibrations are locked in after doing them and you have access to 3 different ones. Each one is locked in unless you run another calibration. As for Firmware, if you got yours from AC4L, it has the 1.47 Firmware which is the latest.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #108 of 944 Old 03-03-12, 10:17 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Hello,
The Calibrations are locked in after doing them and you have access to 3 different ones. Each one is locked in unless you run another calibration. As for Firmware, if you got yours from AC4L, it has the 1.47 Firmware which is the latest.
OK, thanks. On the firmware, I think Jin meant that if the problem with the subwoofer item is confirmed, they will issue another update.

Update: I moved the Trinnov mic forward a couple feet and managed to get another good calibration. So, apparently either Trinnov doesn't like my room OR the Def Tech bi-polars are causing a problem. I read somewhere that someone has Def Tech BP 3000 fronts that have worked OK.

Jim

Last edited by jaymz; 03-03-12 at 11:29 AM.
post #109 of 944 Old 03-03-12, 07:08 PM
Shackster

My System

After several more hours of playing around with the Trinnov calibration system, it now appears now that my right front speaker was in some sort of twilight zone, where Trinnov could not "see" it correctly. After trying several other mic placements, I was able to get a distance recognition for that speaker, but both angle settings were zilch. So, I tried "toeing in" (ratherly severely @ 30 degrees) the right front speaker, and that seemed to do it! Getting good readings now. So, if any of you run into this sort of problem, you might try fooling with speaker placement as a solution.

I'm really impressed with this receiver and happy I don't have a faulty unit.

Jim
post #110 of 944 Old 03-03-12, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Ok finally had time to get REW to work correctly, ended up being an incorrect cable I was using.

Red: Without Trinnov

Green: With Trinnov

My living room has hardwood floors and my RPTV vibrates like crazy during the lower frequencies so Im sure that does not help with the readings but you can see it smooths out the room response a bit.

You can see where the Galaxy CM140 really starts to loose its accuracy above 6Khz

Below is the graph with the subwoofer. Trinnov seems to like it at this level, It sounds really good to me.

Now I need to play with the Hex files as the graph above is with the +6db file thats probably why there is such a big boost on the sub. Frankly I like it because I tend to listen to my music at lower levels and the boost helps it still sound full.

I also got rid of my lousy Yamaha sub and moved the extra A/D/S sub I had from the theater room for the time being as it is way better quality.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 03-03-12 at 10:58 PM.