Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #111 of 944 Old 03-03-12, 10:59 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
jaymz wrote: View Post
After several more hours of playing around with the Trinnov calibration system, it now appears now that my right front speaker was in some sort of twilight zone, where Trinnov could not "see" it correctly. After trying several other mic placements, I was able to get a distance recognition for that speaker, but both angle settings were zilch. So, I tried "toeing in" (ratherly severely @ 30 degrees) the right front speaker, and that seemed to do it! Getting good readings now. So, if any of you run into this sort of problem, you might try fooling with speaker placement as a solution.

I'm really impressed with this receiver and happy I don't have a faulty unit.

Jim
Thanks for the tip Jim - glad to hear you got it figured out!
Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Ok finally had time to get REW to work correctly, ended up being an incorrect cable I was using.

Red: Without Trinnov

Green: With Trinnov

My living room has hardwood floors and my RPTV vibrates like crazy during the lower frequencies so Im sure that does not help with the readings but you can see it smooths out the room response a bit.

You can see where the Galaxy CM140 really starts to loose its accuracy above 6Khz

Below is the graph with the subwoofer. Trinnov seems to like it at this level, It sounds really good to me.

Now I need to play with the Hex files as the graph above is with the +6db file thats probably why there is such a big boost on the sub. Frankly I like it because I tend to listen to my music at lower levels and the boost helps it still sound full.
Wow - that looks pretty good Tony - thanks for taking the time to post your results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 944 Old 03-03-12, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Thanks Joe, I was getting really frustrated with the strange readings I was getting so I tried it on my desktop and got the exact same bad readings so I knew it had to be my cables.
Its interesting to see how close to flat it got the readings after running Trinnov. That null at 50Hz (without sub) must be the correction its applying to the sub because it disappears once the sub is turned on.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #113 of 944 Old 03-05-12, 12:39 PM
mdp
Shackster

SherwoodUSA has an updated website and they have removed the R-972 from it. There is a new model R-977 there now. May be that's the reason on R-972 sale?

Anyway, A4L now has R-972 back in stock. Get it while it lasts.
post #114 of 944 Old 03-05-12, 12:45 PM
Shackster

My System

Interesting. Doesn't say whether it has Trinnov or not, just: One Touch Automatic Speaker Setup
post #115 of 944 Old 03-05-12, 12:54 PM
mdp
Shackster

Yep. But if they had Trinnov, they would sure like to advertize it as one of their big feature. Looks like its their own speaker setup solution that they used on other models.
post #116 of 944 Old 03-05-12, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I think that Trinnov licensing is very costly, the 972 may very well be the only receiver to ever use it.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #117 of 944 Old 03-07-12, 12:53 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
Here are some Application Notes from Trinnov:http://www.cahoyt.com/Trinnov/R972Trinnov.pdf
I looked through it and I really think it is quite useful.
J

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #118 of 944 Old 03-07-12, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I find this statement interesting:

Multiple subs:
Trinnov finds the acoustical center, level, and response of multiple subs and compensates for that. Multiple subs are typically used to smooth out room modes. If you use multiple subs, start with equal level on each. Room mode nulls can result in very dramatic level swings as high up as 200Hz. As a result, it can be very effective to counteract the modes from a main large sub with a smaller sub of limited capacity ideally placed, set to a lower level. We use measurements to find this; you can do it by listening.

Kind of goes against what some have been saying that using the same subs in a room not different ones.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #119 of 944 Old 03-08-12, 06:16 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

This great deal from our friends at Accessories4less almost got me to give up my Denon, until I saw the HT Labs bench test results. I've seen a lot of interesting conversation on the Trinnov Optimizer but not much about the rest of it. How does this unit handle say, 4 Ohms, 84dB (2.83V @ 1 Meter) speakers at reference levels?

Mark
post #120 of 944 Old 03-08-12, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Hi Mark, My Missions are 4ohm and 87db efficient and it handles them just fine without any heat issues. Ive run them loud (at least 80db) for an hour without issues. Personally I think the 972 is very under rated as far as it real power output.

Home theater:

Living room system: