Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 14 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #131 of 944 Old 03-11-12, 01:51 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Hello,
I certainly did not consider it bashing in terms of what you wrote. On the Thread where I disclosed that I purchased one, I talked about how the Remote was a disappointment for an $1800 AVR and other remarks.
Check out the "I Just Got a New Toy" Thread as it predates this Owners Thread. Also, I said this AVR was not for everyone as well.

As I stated a few Posts prior, I am sorry it did not work out for you and hope the next one is more to your liking. We both want and need users impressions. Good and bad. Please do not think you are being singled out due to deciding to return it. Rather, I was personally curious as to why you decided to return it as I feel given the savings the juice is worth the squeeze. That's all.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 944 Old 03-13-12, 03:17 AM
Shackster

[QUOTE=tonyvdb;505641]I find this statement interesting:

Multiple subs:
Trinnov finds the acoustical center, level, and response of multiple subs and compensates for that. Multiple subs are typically used to smooth out room modes. If you use multiple subs, start with equal level on each. Room mode nulls can result in very dramatic level swings as high up as 200Hz. As a result, it can be very effective to counteract the modes from a main large sub with a smaller sub of limited capacity ideally placed, set to a lower level. We use measurements to find this; you can do it by listening.

Kind of goes against what some have been saying that using the same subs in a room not different ones.[/QUOTE

A past girlfriend had terrible bass modal problems in her room. She had a JBL Sub 10 that had a 10" woofer. It was rear ported and only about 150W at best. Bass sounded pretty bad no matter where you put the sub. I brought over one of my Polk Micropro 4000's: 12" speaker, 1200w, 12x12 passive radiator on the bottom, and used a Y cable to hook up both subs. I re-ran her room eq on her HK254. The result was nothing short dramatic....very impressive for a square room with hardwood floors. I think there might be something in using subs of different sizes. Using two different subs where speaker cones are of different sizes, materials, having different transient response times may actually have some superior benefit in taming a room. Would be worth investigating I think.
post #133 of 944 Old 03-13-12, 09:00 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
Big props to your ex Girlfriend owning a Subwoofer. That statement is food for thought as the Descent i is a good bit more powerful than my Depth Subwoofer.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #134 of 944 Old 03-18-12, 10:29 AM
Senior Shackster
TK

Hey guys , I just got my 972 from AC4L yesterday . I cant get the OSD to show on my 55 LED . I have tried HDMI and component cables. Also , on the front panel of the unit I dont get any response when I push the monitor output or the setup buttons.
Any suggestions?
post #135 of 944 Old 03-18-12, 10:47 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Rightbrained wrote: View Post
Hey guys , I just got my 972 from AC4L yesterday . I cant get the OSD to show on my 55 LED . I have tried HDMI and component cables. Also , on the front panel of the unit I dont get any response when I push the monitor output or the setup buttons.
Any suggestions?
There is a menu item that allows you to specify which output (HDMI, Component or Composite) to look at for "monitor out" function. I don't recall what the default is, but you might try the composite connection, too.

On my setup, I also have to switch the TV input to look at the correct HDMI input, then press the setup button on the 972 remote. It takes a few seconds for the menu to appear.

Good luck.

Jim
post #136 of 944 Old 03-18-12, 10:52 AM
Senior Shackster
TK

Thanks for the reply Jim.
I havent been able to locate the sub menu for selecting which output type to use on monitor out and that might be the problem.
My tv doesnt have s-video or composite so I am limited to HDMI or component for the OSD.
post #137 of 944 Old 03-18-12, 11:09 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Rightbrained wrote: View Post
Thanks for the reply Jim.
I havent been able to locate the sub menu for selecting which output type to use on monitor out and that might be the problem.
My tv doesnt have s-video or composite so I am limited to HDMI or component for the OSD.
The menu setting is in the "System Setup" / "Monitor Output" submenu. Then just toggle thru the choices. Are you sure you have the HDMI cable running from the HDMI OUTPUT to a TV HDMI input? Supposedly you can run the setup menu from the receiver display. Then switch the TV so it's looking at the correct HDMI input, press the 972 remote setup button, and wait. It should pop-up.

Jim
post #138 of 944 Old 03-18-12, 11:15 AM
Senior Shackster
TK

Yes , I am certain the HDMI monitor output on the 972 is connected to an HDMI input on my tv.
The thing is ,I dont get any response on the receiver display with using the setup or monitor button on the remote or on the receiver itself.
post #139 of 944 Old 03-18-12, 11:17 AM
Shackster

My System

Yes, that is strange; the 972 display should read "Setup Menu" or something similar. Try a hard reset (described somewhere here, I think), and see if that fixes it.

Jim
post #140 of 944 Old 03-18-12, 11:18 AM
Senior Shackster
TK

Jim ,
I tried the hard reset before I made my original post. I am beginning to think I have a defective unit.