Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 20 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #191 of 944 Old 04-18-12, 05:28 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Checked mine just now - I have version 1.47i as well. I did not get the big thump.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 944 Old 04-18-12, 10:11 PM
Shackster

Quote:
StephenR0 wrote: View Post
Could you please report back what your version is so we can begin to get an idea what versions have what problems? Thanks.
Checked the firmware. Got the thump when doing that like another poster mentioned. I have the 1.47I version. I switched the blu-ray player to a Panasonic BP87 from my Samsung 5500. Seems to be behaving a bit better, with quicker HDMI syncing. I need to get the Three Musketeers disc from Redbox that seemed to have the most issues.

Another question - is the onscreen menu supposed to be in 480P? It seems to take a while to load up and sometimes the screen stays blank.
post #193 of 944 Old 04-18-12, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
kriskk wrote: View Post
Another question - is the onscreen menu supposed to be in 480P? It seems to take a while to load up and sometimes the screen stays blank.
Yup, thats fairly normal with the OSD of most receivers. Have not had it stay blank for me yet.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #194 of 944 Old 04-18-12, 10:54 PM
Shackster

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm willing to accept that there is no good firmware version later than 1.47i. I guess we can quit looking for 1.47v, since I currently believe that was just a rumor. Thanks for the help with the firmware versions.
post #195 of 944 Old 04-19-12, 08:21 AM
Shackster

Here are a couple of replys from someone representing Sherwood. The original email to Jin (who has apparently left) got rerouted to a Ray Casillas at RMC Sales.

About the 3db and 6db sub boost file:
"A new version of Trinnov 3dB and 6 dB is currently being tested and should be ready with in the next couple of weeks at which time will will have an announcement on the website."

About the HDMI syncing issues:
"I am researching that and from what I am being told is that all new updates will be posted on the website."
post #196 of 944 Old 04-19-12, 08:45 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

I would love to believe that they are going to fix some of the very annoying problems with this receiver but considering that 1.47I is from 2010 I am not getting my hopes up.
post #197 of 944 Old 04-19-12, 08:59 AM
Shackster

Can you list the problems that you find very annoying? I'm still trying to decide whether to buy this thing or not. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I'm trying to figure out if I can live with it.
post #198 of 944 Old 04-19-12, 09:21 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
Can you list the problems that you find very annoying? I'm still trying to decide whether to buy this thing or not. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I'm trying to figure out if I can live with it.
The receiver seems to have problems when the audio or video format changes so if you are watching TV and one commercial is dolby digital and the next is not, the audio cuts out for about 4 seconds, this same thing happens when going through the different menus on a movie.
I am also having a problem when watching recorded tv shows, once the show is over and I return back to live TV sometimes (not always) the video blanks out and the only way to get it back is to change the video input (say from video 3 to video 2 then go back to video 3) and the picture will reappear.
These seem like they would be simple to fix with a firmware update but the fact that the product was released like this and has not been fixed makes me believe that they are either not fixable or Sherwood lacks the technical skills to solve these problems.
These problems would not be acceptable in a $300 receiver let alone a $1,800 flagship receiver.

Having said that I am trying to decide if I want to keep it and just live with the problems or return it and take the loss on shipping (I would be out close to $100, more if they charge a restocking fee) I think this would be a perfect receiver for a home theater that was only used to watch movies on, which I hope to have someday soon.
I will say that the receiver is very well made (thought not nearly as heavy as my Onkyo 805) audio quality is excellent and the trinnov system really is amazing. I just watched MI Ghost Protocol last night and was blown away by the sound.
post #199 of 944 Old 04-19-12, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
These are my issues:
1) The remote control is all but useless in the dark and the layout is very poorly done. I use my Harmony 880 instead.
2) The button layout on the front panel is a bid odd and not in the traditional format.
3) As mentioned above it has issues with the handshake and sometimes drops out when resolutions change.
4) You cant edit the Trinnov settings once run without bypassing it completely and doing it manually defeating the purpose of having Trinnov.
5) the jack for the trinnov mic is on the back of the receiver making it difficult to plug in and unplug.

Dont get me wrong, this receiver sounds fantastic and once you get used to it it is very easy to navigate and use. Im keeping mine for my livingroom system and my 805 will remain as my Theater system

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #200 of 944 Old 04-19-12, 10:11 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
These are my issues:
1) The remote control is all but useless in the dark and the layout is very poorly done. I use my Harmony 880 instead.
2) The button layout on the front panel is a bid odd and not in the traditional format.
3) As mentioned above it has issues with the handshake and sometimes drops out when resolutions change.
4) You cant edit the Trinnov settings once run without bypassing it completely and doing it manually defeating the purpose of having Trinnov.
5) the jack for the trinnov mic is on the back of the receiver making it difficult to plug in and unplug.

Dont get me wrong, this receiver sounds fantastic and once you get used to it it is very easy to navigate and use. Im keeping mine for my livingroom system and my 805 will remain as my Theater system
Spot on with Tony's assessment - I too am using it in my living room system. Unfortunately, I do not have a Harmony remote and have to live with the Sherwood one....