Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 21 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #201 of 944 Old 04-19-12, 10:19 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

and just to add to this, I agree with everyone else that the remote is rather horrible but I use a harmony so that was not an issue.
I just listed the issues that I had with it that have me thinking that I might return it, things that annoy me every single time I use it. Everything else to me is minor and can be overlooked, replaced (remote) or is not used often enough to make me not want the receiver (mic jack placement)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 944 Old 04-19-12, 10:33 AM
Shackster

Quote:
typ44q wrote: View Post
and just to add to this, I agree with everyone else that the remote is rather horrible but I use a harmony so that was not an issue.
I just listed the issues that I had with it that have me thinking that I might return it, things that annoy me every single time I use it. Everything else to me is minor and can be overlooked, replaced (remote) or is not used often enough to make me not want the receiver (mic jack placement)
And that is the spirit in which I meant the question. While I appreciate the rest of the answers, I'm mainly interesting in things that annoy every time you use it. The remote isn't really an issue because I'm kind of addicted to the JP1 remotes. That's why I needed the discrete IR remote codes. I'm sure they're not as easy to program as the Harmony remotes, but they're cheap and flexible. I guess I'm between the R-972 and the Onkyo TX-NR809, although I could wait for the TX-NR818. I guess I could look at the Denon 1712, but I like the fatter amplifiers of the other receivers. I'm still deciding...
post #203 of 944 Old 04-19-12, 10:47 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Well, I have both the 809 and the 972. Of the two, I prefer the 809 as it is 1.4 compatible, has a network connection, and I dont have any of those issues that have been previously discussed.

However, trinnov seems to be able to handle the dynamics of my living room with it's vaulted ceiling and open floor plan better than Audessey does as the Sherwood seems to provide better sound.

If it were me, I would wait to see how the 818 measures out - XT32 (from other comments) sounds like it is worth the wait........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #204 of 944 Old 04-19-12, 06:23 PM
Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
These are my issues:
1) The remote control is all but useless in the dark and the layout is very poorly done. I use my Harmony 880 instead.
2) The button layout on the front panel is a bid odd and not in the traditional format.
3) As mentioned above it has issues with the handshake and sometimes drops out when resolutions change.
4) You cant edit the Trinnov settings once run without bypassing it completely and doing it manually defeating the purpose of having Trinnov.
5) the jack for the trinnov mic is on the back of the receiver making it difficult to plug in and unplug.

Dont get me wrong, this receiver sounds fantastic and once you get used to it it is very easy to navigate and use. Im keeping mine for my livingroom system and my 805 will remain as my Theater system
From what I've read tweaking settings post Trinnov will defeat it's purpose, so that is not a feature. From your list I would only hold #3 against this receiver for the price it is selling for now.
post #205 of 944 Old 04-20-12, 01:00 PM
Shackster

Got the Onkyo 709 and set up Audessey on it in Music mode. Alas, I am underwhelmed with the sound when compared to the R972 with Trinnov. I have a feeling the pre amp section in the 972 is also just plain better. Not sure if there are any good settings for the 709 that I should be targeting to improve the sound. Now I am not so sure about sending the 972 back. If the HDMI sync improves with my new blu-ray player, that might help the cause.
post #206 of 944 Old 04-20-12, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Did you run Audessey correctly, meaning putting the mic at ear level on a tripod and measuring at least 4 positions? Dont use any of the music modes, run it in stereo to get a better idea what it will sound like.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #207 of 944 Old 04-20-12, 01:16 PM
Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Did you run Audessey correctly, meaning putting the mic at ear level on a tripod and measuring at least 4 positions? Dont use any of the music modes, run it in stereo to get a better idea what it will sound like.
I put the mic on tripod at ear level in my sitting position like I have done with Trinnov. I did not move the mic for each of the four positions, since I rarely move from that position. Should I still move the mic in that case? I'll try stereo this evening and see what happens. To me the sound did not seem as airy, clear and seamless across my speakers like the 972.
post #208 of 944 Old 04-20-12, 01:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
kriskk wrote:

I put the mic on tripod at ear level in my sitting position like I have done with Trinnov. I did not move the mic for each of the four positions, since I rarely move from that position. Should I still move the mic in that case? I'll try stereo this evening and see what happens. To me the sound did not seem as airy, clear and seamless across my speakers like the 972.
Yes, you want to measure as many positions as allowed. Part of what it's doing is getting a reading of your room. Think of it as mapping your room. I also only have 2 main listening positions but when the kids or guests come over sometimes more. I would do the full 8 positions if I were you.
post #209 of 944 Old 04-20-12, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Agreed^^

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #210 of 944 Old 04-20-12, 01:59 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

^^^ Agreed +1 - it really helps. I did the same thing on my 809 and noticed better sound when I ran the full process.