Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 24 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #231 of 944 Old 04-21-12, 08:35 PM
Shackster

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

You guys are making me want one! I wish it didn't have the sync issues. I'm such a wimp...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 944 Old 04-21-12, 08:51 PM
Shackster

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
LVL+DLY is on, the imaging is fantastic. Cranked up the gain on the sub amp, still not enough bass.

Cannot get the distorted output at higher levels, I think you are right about the amp output issues, cschang.
Great, but weird about the sub output.

Your angles are on the narrow side. With only two speakers, Trinnov 2D/3D correction won't do anything...there are no other channels to work with to create virtual angles.
post #233 of 944 Old 04-21-12, 08:58 PM

Hello all,
Just joined the forum after seeing a link from another R-972 thread. I have seen all the issues that others have noticed and can add:
- Sherwood sent me beta 1.48 which fixed nothing and added audio issues so I reverted to 1.47
- My Comcast box connects slowly but 2 different Sony Blu-ray players and an Apple TV connect almost instantly. I did notice changing the hdmi connection setting for the Comcast cable box to hdmi for audio and video (from auto) seemed to speed hdmi connection times a bit.
- The handshake to my tv is by far the slowest sometimes taking 15 seconds - thought his is only an issue when I turn on the unit.
- I have heard the sub thumb on one sub I own but not another. Unfortunately, the sub that does not thump with the R-972 is grounded and I had bad ground loop issues - so I stuck with the sub that "thumps". (this same sub also has a low rumble when volume is being changed)

Despite all the issue the R-972 sounds great and I LOVE how the Trinnov 3D remapping sounds - so I am sticking with it - at least until another company releases a Trinnov enabled device I can afford...

post #234 of 944 Old 04-21-12, 09:02 PM

What resolution is passed for native 1080p 3D content? (I was thinking of moving my R-972 to a room with a 3D tv but maybe I now I won't...)

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote:
It will pass 3D but at a lower resolution. Its better to run the HDMI directly to the display for 3D
post #235 of 944 Old 04-21-12, 09:03 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
cschang wrote: View Post
Great, but weird about the sub output.

Your angles are on the narrow side. With only two speakers, Trinnov 2D/3D correction won't do anything...there are no other channels to work with to create virtual angles.
I'll get some velcro and rerun Trinnov with the boom tomorrow. Good thing you asked for my parms, I now have them documented here and can compare against what I get tomorrow.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #236 of 944 Old 04-21-12, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
TempTag wrote: View Post
What resolution is passed for native 1080p 3D content? (I was thinking of moving my R-972 to a room with a 3D tv but maybe I now I won't...)
720p if I remember correctly.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #237 of 944 Old 04-21-12, 09:17 PM

Thanks, with my Passive LG already (I think) showing all 3D in 1080i anyway I think I won't move this receiver...

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote:

720p if I remember correctly.
post #238 of 944 Old 04-21-12, 09:27 PM
Shackster

Quote:
I'll get some velcro and rerun Trinnov with the boom tomorrow. Good thing you asked for my parms, I now have them documented here and can compare against what I get tomorrow.
Your -6dB points are pretty high...that's where it is crossing to the sub.
post #239 of 944 Old 04-22-12, 12:43 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
cschang wrote: View Post
Your -6dB points are pretty high...that's where it is crossing to the sub.
Yes, I noticed that, too. Probably contributing to the thin sound, although the subs should roll at that point and are comfortable up to 300 Hz. Audyssey normally sets the SHO-10's for 80-90 Hz, perhaps the pillow mic stand has something to do with this.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #240 of 944 Old 04-22-12, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Running 2.1. Parameters are:

Front Left - H Angle 18 degrees, V Angle 89 degrees, 3.36 meters
Front Left - -6 dB point 126 Hz, Level -17 dB, Delay 9 ms

Front Right - H Angle -17 degrees, V Angle 89 degrees, 3.43 meters
Front Right - -6 dB point 126 Hz, Level -17 dB, Delay 10 ms

Subwoofer - H angle 0 degrees, V angle 0 degrees, 4.03 meters
Subwoofer - -6 dB point 19 Hz, Level -5 db, Delay 11 ms
I'm setting up my system with a new R-972, too. From what I've read, you want to set the subwoofer gain to match the other speakers as closely as possible before running the Trinnov Optimizer. As you have it now, your subwoofer is 12 dB louder than your other speakers. The Optimizer is losing some of its ability to room correct because it has to first lower the volume of your subwoofer (This is an oversimplification, but the general idea is correct.). If you want more bass, raise the gain after running the Optimizer.

Last edited by ograma; 04-22-12 at 06:01 PM. Reason: plural of dB is dB; I think.