Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 25 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #241 of 944 Old 04-22-12, 08:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

That is interesting that you do not prefer 3D Remapping and any sort of Spatial Mode. I have run the 972 to Reference, but cannot use the internal amplification due to my Speakers. I did not have issues with my Subwoofer when doing so. I usually playback BD/DVD's between 10 to 15db's below Reference.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 944 Old 04-23-12, 08:14 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
cschang wrote: View Post
For those of you that have Bluray handshake issues, try using the HDMI1 connection.

I participate on a couple of R972 threads on another forum (a former Sherwood rep participates, as well as a Trinnov rep who's notes have been referenced here on HTS), and that has seem to do the trick with HDMI issues and BluRay players. Incidentally, I use a Oppo BDP-83, and it worked for me.

I use a FiOS HD DVR on HDMI1 with no issues except for sync'ing the sound codec during some channel changes and commercial breaks...really depends on what is happening with the codec stream, and can be a 2-3 sec delay.

The notes that have been referenced are excellent, and the Trinnov rep is constantly adding to it.

Sherwood has been known to have a pretty good pre/amp section, it holds true with the R-972 (I use external amps). I had a P-965 for a long time, and needed to get on HDMI. I almost went with an Onkyo pre/pro, but this deal came up and I am glad I took the gamble. The unit has its quirks, but none of them have bitten me....or been annoying.

I am VERY pleased with its sound capabilities, Trinnov EQ is very nice, but it is the spatial correction that I think sets it apart. I would not openly recommend the unit because if its quirks/issues...but the cohesiveness of the soundstage/surrounds is pretty amazing.
I wish my problem was this simple, mine is doing that using component video and HDMI. The video drops out while watching TV from a HD DVR. This sometimes happens when changing channels, switching from recorded content to live TV and has even happened while watching TV without me doing anything.
When this happens the sound continues to play but the TV does not display anything (gives me a weak or no signal message) which does seem like a HDMI issue to the TV.
So far I have only experienced this while watching TV and not for bluray movies or ROKU content but that could just be because I have not watched enough for it to happen.

As of right now my thought is that I have to return it but I am going to experiment a little longer before I do
post #243 of 944 Old 04-23-12, 12:02 PM
Shackster

Quote:
They apply when Trinnov EQ is on for the input.
Hi I did turn on the Spatial modes with Trinnov on the input (Video 1, Position 1). I noticed very slightly better bass with LVL+DLY than the 2D or 3D Remapping modes. But still a far cry from when Spatial Mode is None and Trinnov EQ is turned on. Results look like those that "tesseract" posted. Ran Trinnov multiple times with similar results. I will try to play with my Subwoofer levels a bit more, and then try loading the +6db file. Any other tactics I should try, please let me know.
post #244 of 944 Old 04-23-12, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Try moving the mic forward or to the left or right of your listening position. Particularly if your listening position is in a corner or against a rear wall.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #245 of 944 Old 04-23-12, 12:19 PM
Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Try moving the mic forward or to the left or right of your listening position. Particularly if your listening position is in a corner or against a rear wall.
Listening position is pretty open on all sides. I have the mic on a short tripod in the middle of a sofa at ear height. I'll try these suggestions. So should the red dot on the mic always point towards the middle of my projection screen, regardless of angle?
post #246 of 944 Old 04-23-12, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I would point the red line at the location that centre to your mains.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #247 of 944 Old 04-23-12, 12:38 PM
Shackster

Most seem to like the +3 or +6dB files over the flat.
post #248 of 944 Old 04-23-12, 03:19 PM

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 impressions

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Please open the attached zip file and uncompress. Please copy all of the factory.hex files to USB drive root position. (ex. E:\factory.hex)
Tony, thanks very much for the files and instructions.

If all of the bass targets are put on the flash drive, how will the 972 know which one we want?

Anything the matter with putting only the one we want on the flash drive?
post #249 of 944 Old 04-23-12, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I just put the one I wanted on the flash drive. Im actually not sure how the receiver reacts to all of them on the flash drive at the same time?

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #250 of 944 Old 04-23-12, 04:30 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Most seem to like the +3 or +6dB files over the flat.
Will these curves only apply to the Spatial modes? Reason I ask is in my case the bass is very good when Spatial is not engaged.