Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 28 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #271 of 944 Old 04-25-12, 05:31 PM
Shackster

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

For me....I got the gain on the sub amp so it was detected when Trinnov sent its tone. Any less, and Trinnov would not get a good reading.

Incidentally, if Trinnov sends more than three tones to a channel during calibration, then it is having some sort of trouble with that channel...it may still be fine...but if it only sends three, then you know you are good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 944 Old 04-25-12, 05:35 PM
Shackster

Quote:
cschang wrote: View Post
For me....I got the gain on the sub amp so it was detected when Trinnov sent its tone. Any less, and Trinnov would not get a good reading.

Incidentally, if Trinnov sends more than three tones to a channel during calibration, then it is having some sort of trouble with that channel...it may still be fine...but if it only sends three, then you know you are good to go.
Actually 3 chirps is the minimum. 10 chirps means that the Trinnov module could not accurately locate the speaker. Anything less than 10 and you should be good to go. You can determine if you have the data you need to re-map by looking at the results table. If each speaker (except the subwoofer) has a horizontal and vertical angle then you have sufficient data for remapping. In the rare instance where the Trinnov module could not locate every speaker all is not lost. You can still engage Trininov's very power IR + FIR EQ and get huge improvement in the sound of your system.

Jeff
post #273 of 944 Old 04-25-12, 05:39 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Stereojeff wrote: View Post
Actually 3 chirps is the minimum. 10 chirps means that the Trinnov module could not accurately locate the speaker. Anything less than 10 and you should be good to go. You can determine if you have the data you need to re-map by looking at the results table. If each speaker (except the subwoofer) has a horizontal and vertical angle then you have sufficient data for remapping. In the rare instance where the Trinnov module could not locate every speaker all is not lost. You can still engage Trininov's very power IR + FIR EQ and get huge improvement in the sound of your system.
Thanks Jeff!

post #274 of 944 Old 04-25-12, 06:01 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
cschang wrote: View Post
Ahh! There is another potential issue....on the other forum, someone had a problem with a 4.1 configuration and could not get it to work properly. You should research that.
Thanks, cschang. I did a little reading before the purchase, I believe the workaround is to place a center when running calibration, then remove it.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #275 of 944 Old 04-25-12, 06:13 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
kriskk wrote: View Post
"Success! I finally had to keep the subwoofer level just barely high enough that it would register on the Trinnov mic. This brought the sub level on par with the rest of the speakers.
Good job. I managed the same thing last night, although it did keep pinging the sub. Parameters show the sub at +3 dB over the mains, I kicked it up a bit more on the sub amp for a fuller sound.

Quote:
Stereojeff wrote: View Post

Jeff
Useful information, thank you. Lots of pings to the sub last calibration, I didn't count them but it did concern me. No H or V angle readings, and it sounds good.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #276 of 944 Old 04-25-12, 06:33 PM
Shackster

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
Thanks, cschang. I did a little reading before the purchase, I believe the workaround is to place a center when running calibration, then remove it.
It was to place a rear center when calibrating, but it was also pointed out that it will cause problems when it is removed.

Just trying to caution you before you decide to keep it, and it turns out not to work correctly for you. You will have a "fringe" test case on a pretty complicated correction system, so I recommend proceeding with a high amount of skepticism.

Last edited by cschang; 04-25-12 at 07:17 PM.
post #277 of 944 Old 04-27-12, 08:20 PM
Shackster
RTPBob

Need some trouble shooting ideas..

Posted this on the other forum and thought you folks might be able to provide some thoughts.

I wanted some extra watts for my speakers so bought an external amplifier to add to my system. Everything seemed to be working fine for one bright shining moment...then the problems started.

I can run the system and its fine. Then the next day I have no center channel. So I start trouble shooting and the sound comes back when I swap the interconnect between the Sherwood and amp. Working fine...next day...no center channel. Swap the old interconnect back..working fine...next day no center channel. Seems to be the center channel output connector on the Sherwood..but don't know how to check that.

Next issue is I think I'm smart so I connect the center channel speaker directly to the Sherwood. Center channel works fine...but no sound from the side or surround speakers.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, insights would be appreciated.

But, I do LOVE the sound field when its working right.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by RTPBob; 04-27-12 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Need to add title
post #278 of 944 Old 04-27-12, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

What mode are you running it in when you have no centre channel sound? is this during movies?

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #279 of 944 Old 04-27-12, 08:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
typ44q wrote: View Post
I have a question about the video scaling on this receiver. If I have it set to upconvert everything to 1080p, such as the cable box but I also have a 1080p source (bluray player) is it doing anything with that signal?

I really wish you could set the scaling per input.
As Tony said. The HQV Reon Processor is actually quite good and was used in Onkyo's 2 most expensive AVR's until the current x09 Series where starting with the 809, Onkyo is using the HQV Vida alongside the Marvell Qdeo.
So anything that is native 1080p, it will not be touched and the same goes for any Sources that Upsample to 1080p.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #280 of 944 Old 04-27-12, 08:30 PM
Shackster

Quote:
RTPBob wrote: View Post
Posted this on the other forum and thought you folks might be able to provide some thoughts.

I wanted some extra watts for my speakers so bought an external amplifier to add to my system. Everything seemed to be working fine for one bright shining moment...then the problems started.

I can run the system and its fine. Then the next day I have no center channel. So I start trouble shooting and the sound comes back when I swap the interconnect between the Sherwood and amp. Working fine...next day...no center channel. Swap the old interconnect back..working fine...next day no center channel. Seems to be the center channel output connector on the Sherwood..but don't know how to check that.

Next issue is I think I'm smart so I connect the center channel speaker directly to the Sherwood. Center channel works fine...but no sound from the side or surround speakers.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, insights would be appreciated.

But, I do LOVE the sound field when its working right.

Thanks for any help.
In the System Setup, make sure the HDMI Audio Output is set to OFF.

I would also consider a reset.

Last edited by cschang; 04-27-12 at 08:49 PM.