Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 29 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #281 of 944 Old 04-28-12, 12:36 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
cschang wrote: View Post
It was to place a rear center when calibrating, but it was also pointed out that it will cause problems when it is removed.

Just trying to caution you before you decide to keep it, and it turns out not to work correctly for you. You will have a "fringe" test case on a pretty complicated correction system, so I recommend proceeding with a high amount of skepticism.
I'm gonna keep it. While the Sherwood is not quite as transparent as my Exposure integrated, the Sherwood's bass management system and active high pass crossovers give it other advantages that makes the comparison a wash. Turned Trinnov off and played with the Speaker/Listening Setup. Put on some SACD and DVD-A. This is the first time I have found myself drawn into the Sherwood's "sound", and I don't even have my best pair of speakers hooked up.

Also, I feel that if I am going to have a surround system, this is the receiver to base it on. I want a seamless surround experience for Hi Rez surround music playback, and Trinnov is the way to do it. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the Optimizer than I did with 2.1 channel.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 944 Old 04-28-12, 01:17 PM
Shackster

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
I'm gonna keep it. While the Sherwood is not quite as transparent as my Exposure integrated, the Sherwood's bass management system and active high pass crossovers give it other advantages that makes the comparison a wash. Turned Trinnov off and played with the Speaker/Listening Setup. Put on some SACD and DVD-A. This is the first time I have found myself drawn into the Sherwood's "sound", and I don't even have my best pair of speakers hooked up.

Also, I feel that if I am going to have a surround system, this is the receiver to base it on. I want a seamless surround experience for Hi Rez surround music playback, and Trinnov is the way to do it. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the Optimizer than I did with 2.1 channel.
Great...just do 5.1 and not 4.1.

Just to reiterate, the Optimizer is of no real use, other than EQ, in a 2.1 configuration, sp I'm not sure why you considered yourself to have bad luck with it.

Last edited by cschang; 04-29-12 at 11:16 AM.
post #283 of 944 Old 04-30-12, 11:10 AM
Shackster
RTPBob

Problem solved...I think

Ok, I think I got this one fixed..hopefully.

Next time I went down to use it I had lost both back channels. Frustrated, I pulled out the interconnects. I had used an couple of sets of middle level (gold plugs, thicker wire) that I had used in an earlier installation. Replaced them with sets of the cheap, comes with normal electronics (tin plugs, skinny wire) I had laying around and everything worked fine. Still working after two days. If it works for a week this way, I'll order new sets from Monoprice and install some good ones.

Part of me says this can't be the real problem, but I'll just have to play it by ear and see if it keeps working.

Hopefully, I can get back to just enjoying listening to it.

Bob

post #284 of 944 Old 05-03-12, 08:40 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Is anyone actually using the video scaling feature of this receiver? It seems most people have it set to bypass but I was wondering if anyone is using it and with what type of equipment.
My time warner cable box when connected with HDMI or component cables and with the receiver set to auto or 1080p output will only display a picture for a few minutes before I get a half black half snow screen or the signal totally cuts out and I get a signal lost error on the tv.

I have tried to contact sherwood tech support but they have never called me back so I am guessing we are on our own with this thing.

I still have about a week before I can send it back and I keep going back and forth on if I should keep it or not.
post #285 of 944 Old 05-03-12, 08:45 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

I am not using it - hope you get a solution as I have been pleased with the unit so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #286 of 944 Old 05-03-12, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I have mine set to upscale everything and so far its worked good. I use my WDTV media player with it all the time and its never dropped the signal yet. I did have my bluray player drop out but Im convinced its the player not the receiver as I had it do it on my other receiver as well. (Its an old Samsung 1400)

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #287 of 944 Old 05-03-12, 09:52 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

I am going to change the output on my ROKU from 1080p to 720p and then try to upscale that using the receiver and see what happens. Maybe it is just something about the cable box it does not like.
post #288 of 944 Old 05-05-12, 01:21 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
Great...just do 5.1 and not 4.1.

Just to reiterate, the Optimizer is of no real use, other than EQ, in a 2.1 configuration, sp I'm not sure why you considered yourself to have bad luck with it.
EQ flattened the sound, it sounds much better without it.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #289 of 944 Old 05-05-12, 02:40 PM
Shackster

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
EQ flattened the sound, it sounds much better without it.
Ahhh....interesting.

Must be the speakers.

Try Audiophile.2 and see how you like it. That setting only EQ's 300hz and below.
post #290 of 944 Old 05-05-12, 04:29 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
Ahhh....interesting.

Must be the speakers.

Try Audiophile.2 and see how you like it. That setting only EQ's 300hz and below.
What is interesting is the lines the Sherwood puts on my HDTV screen after I exit the setup menu.

The WAF-1's are pretty good speakers, while not as good as the SHO-10's, I don't know why you would assume they are the problem.

I did try the Audiophile 2 setting to avoid eq'ing much above the Schroeder frequency. It is better than flat, not as good as off. Dynamics seem a bit squashed.