Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

230K views 950 replies 79 participants last post by  Linkage2010 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I got my R-972 today from accessories4less (that shipped to me from Florida to Edmonton Canada in just 2 days!) and had an hour to hook it up and play with it just a little.
First impressions are is that it was probably one of the best investments I could have made :)

Out of the box this receiver is huge! the weight is about 45lbs although Ive red conflicting reports that it weighs as much as 60lbs. No matter how you look at it its a beast for size and covers the top shelf of my AV rack completely and its very tall for a receiver.
I hooked all my gear up to it and the main speakers (I plan only using this as a two channel setup) I then powered it up and it came to life without any issues (First sigh of releaf given the distance it traveled). Without even having time to do any of the settings or even running Trinnov I played my iPod and could not believe the clarity of the sound, It brought my Missions to life it seems. they were clean and like my EV sentrys downstairs sounded much more dynamic and the separation was outstanding!

Im going to spend some more time playing tomorrow but for now I am thrilled by what its done even without any room eq applied :T

To check the version of your R-972 firmware:
hold Display and Enter/Memo

To reset the R-972 to factory settings:
Once in Standby Mode, press and hold down the STANDBY & MEMO/ENTER buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds. This will reset the unit and it will turn on automatically. If the reset was successful, you should notice that the receiver powers up at 87.5 FM . If not, repeat the reset process.

Information on installing the bass boost Hex files here

See less See more
#71 ·
XT32 is better for the sub channel if you have 2 subs however my thoughts are that because Trinnov measures the room in 3D it may have better results on the mains. Over all I think XT32 and even XT is very similar and not worth changing to Trinnov

#72 · (Edited)
I should be getting my 972 tomorrow, I'll follow up soon with my impressions. I've personally owned setup measured with mcacc, ypao, xt, xt32 and now i'll have trinnov. I could even measure with rew and plot some graphs of xt32 and trinnov using my cross spectrum calibrated mic.

#73 ·
Hi Jack, now that you have played with your 972 what are your thoughts? I am having issues with REW so my readings are wrong. I am sure its my soundcard cal file thats not working right.

Have you tried your Hex files yet?

#75 ·
Uploaded +6db hex file to my receiver. There are no new menu options & after calibration the calculated trim levels are the same as before but music sounds fuller with better bottom end therefore I am assuming that +6db curve was automatically added. Would be interesting to know other users experience with +3db/+6db hex files.

#76 ·
Yes, I also get the same as you. The lower frequencies are richer and it sounds much better. I also did not get any new menu options so I am assuming that it adds the curve to all settings evenly.

#77 ·
My apologies for posting this question here, but I figure I have a lot of Sherwood Newcastle owners here that might give me a wider audience than if I posted in a separate thread.

Recently purchased a new R-772; already have a R-771 and a new R-972 on the way!

When setting up the R-772, I am experiencing a strange anomaly:

When I route my HDMI source (Dish Network #622 DVR) into the HDMI #1 input, the 772 locks onto Dolby Digital 5.1 mode (which is what I want it to do).

However, when I route the DVR HDMI directly into the TV and use the TV's optical out, routed into the #1 optical in on the 772, it won't lock onto the DD 5.1 mode; best I get is Dolby Prologic modes, which don't sound as good as pure DD 5.1.

Any idea what is going on here? I really want to set up the 772 using the optical mode for the audio source.

Jim

#80 ·
I seem to think it applies a curve to everything below 200Hz

#79 ·
Are you certian that you have the DVR outputting Surround Or Bitstream If its in stereo that could be why its only giving you Dolby Pro Logic.

#81 · (Edited)
I'll check, but it must be because I get DD 5.1 when I run the HDMI directly into the receiver's HDMI #1 input.

Edit: Yes, it is set to output DD/PCM.

Like I say, when I run the DVR's HDMI cable (same one as above) to the TV, and use the TV's optical out into the 772, all I can get is DD pro logic (and a bunch of Neo, stereo, Effects, etc.) Just so strange. I suppose I can buy a splitter and run one branch to the TV and one into the 772. The real cause of all this is that the 772 doesn't allow HDMI pass thru, so I can't operate TV w/o receiver on. Also, if I hook it up w/HDMI directly into the 772, I get the DD 5.1 I want, but no sound output to the TV; must have the 772 on all the time. If I turn the HDMI to send sound out, then the TV has sound, but this cuts off all the speakers connected to the 772. Nice, huh? This is all to accomodate the Wifey.

Jim

#82 ·
Oh, Ok I understand. If your going back out from the TV to the receiver you will only get 2.1 sound as that is a restriction put on the manufacturers by the "powers that be"

#83 · (Edited)
Am sending inquiry to LG on this issue.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...well, at least that would make sense out of what I'm experiencing. The TV manual implies DD 5.1, but doesn't actually say it is ("if you want to listen to an audio source thru a 5.1 system...use the TV's audio out"). On the other hand, my LG TV downstairs (different model than the Wife's LG) outputs a DD 5.1 signal from its optical audio out to the optical in on my Marantz SR 7300, and does DD 5.1 just fine (this was only after hacking into the service menu and switching AC3 on). It looks like running the little splitter would solve the problem:

DVR HDMI/out into the splitter.
One branch of splitter directly into TV (maintains picture and TV sound). No need to turn on 772 to just watch TV.
Other branch of splitter into HDMI#1/in on 772. Will output DD 5.1 to speakers and show video on TV screen.

All the Wife has to do is turn on the 772 or switch TV HDMI inputs to watch DVD.

We'll see what happens on the R-992 when it comes tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jim

#84 ·
If your using the TVs built in tuner then you will get 5.1 output but if your sending a signal from another source to the TV then back to the receiver it is restricted to 2.1 only.

#87 ·
972 has sold out on a4l thanks to us

#88 ·
I wonder how many were purchased by Shack members?

#89 ·
Hello,
I definitely think we were out ahead of purchasing them. Compared to even larger AV Forums. Just an awesome deal. 3 Year Warranty, $1200 off MSRP, Trinnov, Reon, Preamp Outputs, and a solid Amplifier Stage. I hope Mark gets more 972's, but I am not sure if AC4L will be able to.
Cheers,
J

#90 · (Edited)
Anyone know how to display the firmware level on the 972? I'm having some issues with HDMI handshake when I change channels on my cable box where the resolution changes, - i'll get snow. I have the upscale set to bypass and tried configuring the video and audio from auto to hdmi and vice versa. I've periodically has issues in the past with some avr's and my display but the 3008 has been the best so far, it always sync's up and I get picture. Its particularly bad with the 972. The audio delay is bad enough but tolerable, I almost don't mind the clicking now fromt he 3008. Its so fast, I'm a channel surfer. I'm not sure I could use it if I can't resolve this hdmi sync. It sounds totally different than audyssey, I just got it all setup last night, so I need some more time with it before I report on the sound. Anyone experience video issues?

#98 ·
Yup, its a monster for size only my Carver receiver 6250 was even close to this in size. Looking forward to your impressions Jim.

#99 ·
Hello,
All of the AC4L 972's have the 1.47 FW. There is a way to check that yourself, but the process is eluding me.
I will find out how to do it again, but for sure if yours is from AC4L it is the most current FW. Really sorry you are having Handshaking Issues. Do note the slight pause when switching Inputs is normal.
Cheers,
J

#100 · (Edited)
I found you can display firmware level by having the unit off in standby, then press and hold Display and Enter/Memo buttons, you can use the left dial to scroll through the levels. Who has 1.47v? The latest seems to be a 1.47i 08/12/2010 version.

I'm working on the handshake, seems the delay is a little quicker when I turned the Trinnov Spatial to none. It stinks the when I dim the display it doesn't remember when I turn the unit off and back on.

#101 · (Edited)
Got the 972 installed and everything seems to work OK. Initial problems w/no sound from DVD player, but found I had the audio output turned off in the setup of the player. Will try the Trinnov soon.

Update: Went a round with the Trinnov, then listened to "Master and Commander" on BluRay. Wow! I really like what this did to my surrounds...puts me right in the middle of the action. Much more airy and open sound. Played some tunes, too. Highs MUCH more open. Tom Petty's 12 string Rickenbacher on, "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better," is glorius! Was able to play tunes in both stereo and Dolby Pro Logic, but now just getting stereo. Any ideas?

Jim

#102 ·
False alarm. It appears the HDMI is more sensitive. I swapped out my SA 8300 DVR and the channels lock right in during resolution changes no snow now.

#103 ·
Initial measurement position 1 using rew and a calibrated mic from the listening position spatial was none and remapping none. Red is without room eq at none and blue is with it on Flat.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.