Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 31 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #301 of 944 Old 05-06-12, 04:19 PM
Shackster

Quote:
tesseract wrote:

I'm not using 2D or 3D, LVL+DLY is not difficult to understand and I did try it a week or two ago. Trying it again, I get the same results, greatly reduced bass levels. I shut Trinnov off and set distance and sub level manually.

I'll try it again when I am setup for 5.1. There are people that are satisfied with Trinnov 4.1, I may try that as well.
Are you getting a good sub measurement during the Trinnov setup? What does it say for the sub measurement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 944 Old 05-06-12, 06:38 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Anyone compare the R-972 to a Onkyo with Audyssey XT32?

I have been reading up on Trinnov and at the current price of the 972 it might be worth a comparison.
post #303 of 944 Old 05-06-12, 07:06 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 impressions

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Tony,
I am so glad you are pleased with the 972. The longer I have it, the more I am convinced it is one the greatest values for an AVR I have ever come across and truly feel blessed to have one.
Cheers,
J
J,

So you replaced your 3008 with the 972?

post #304 of 944 Old 05-07-12, 01:53 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

OK, what the .

I went ahead and ordered a 972 as the Trinnov processing was too intriguing to pass up at the price.

Probably wont have a chance to try it out for at least a week after it gets here but at least my curiosity will eventually be quenched.

You guys are bad influences
post #305 of 944 Old 05-07-12, 06:11 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

If I wouldn't have ordered the R-972, there would always be the question "what if".

I am mostly interested in surround music reproduction, the Sherwood is said to to have seamless transition from speaker to speaker. It also helps compensate for less than optimal placement, which is important for rooms which are not dedicated theaters.

Hope you enjoy, sub_crazy!

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #306 of 944 Old 05-07-12, 09:08 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Good point, I wanted to answer the "what if" question as well.

Did you get your 972 already tesseract?

I hope you enjoy it as well.
post #307 of 944 Old 05-07-12, 09:40 AM
Shackster

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote:
OK, what the .

I went ahead and ordered a 972 as the Trinnov processing was too intriguing to pass up at the price.

Probably wont have a chance to try it out for at least a week after it gets here but at least my curiosity will eventually be quenched.

You guys are bad influences
Read this thread and threads on other forums to get a good idea of the problems and issues that might arise. It will give you a good understanding of the unit and how to deal with it.

The R972 sounds great, you just to be willing to deal with its quirks and give it what it needs.
post #308 of 944 Old 05-07-12, 12:23 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I haven't had a chance to look over this thread yet except for the first 2 pages, I did flip through the other thread a bit more.

I gathered that if the 972 is going into a movie only type system that most of the quirks won't be so bad, is that a fair assessment?
post #309 of 944 Old 05-07-12, 01:11 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I haven't had a chance to look over this thread yet except for the first 2 pages, I did flip through the other thread a bit more.

I gathered that if the 972 is going into a movie only type system that most of the quirks won't be so bad, is that a fair assessment?
I would say that is a very fair assessment. Turn the unit on, watch your movie and turn it off and you will think it is just a regular ARV with amazing sound. Watch TV with it where the audio stream is constantly changing and it might drive you crazy. The big exception to this is if you watch everything recorded or buffered through a DVR because then you are skipping the commercials and avoiding the changing audio feeds.
And there is the added annoyance of the excessively long start up time but that is not so bad as you only have to sit through it once each time you turn the AVR on.

And then there is my problem of the video scaler not working but if you are feeding it a 1080p signal all should be fine.

Last edited by typ44q; 05-07-12 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added more info
post #310 of 944 Old 05-07-12, 01:16 PM
Shackster

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post

Quote:
typ44q wrote: View Post
I would say that is a very fair assessment. Turn the unit on, watch your movie and turn it off and you will think it is just a regular ARV with amazing sound. Watch TV with it where the audio stream is constantly changing and it might drive you crazy. The big exception to this is if you watch everything recorded or buffered through a DVR because then you are skipping the commercials and avoiding the changing audio feeds.

And then there is my problem of the video scaler not working but if you are feeding it a 1080p signal all should be fine.
I'm in agreement with typ44q.

Even on a Bluray disc, when there are breaks in the CODEC, such as in between previews or other ads, it may take time to resync.

The same goes when watching TV. Some channels are worse than others. My kids have not complained, so that seems to be a good indication that it isn't a big deal.