Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 32 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #311 of 944 Old 05-07-12, 04:46 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 impressions

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
J,

So you replaced your 3008 with the 972?
Sort of. I have been going back and forth between the 2 as I do think XT32/SubEQ HT does a better job of integrating the 2 Subwoofers I am using. While the design on the 2 Subwoofers is quite similar, one uses (3) 10 Inch Woofers and the other uses 8 Inch Woofers. In addition, the Descent i uses an Amplifier for each Woofer and the Depth uses a single Amplifier to drive all 3 Woofers.

So with this being the case, SubEQ HT does a simply fantastic job of making the 2 Subwoofers sound seamless. If I owned 2 Descent i's or 2 Depth's, I would most likely use the 972 exclusively as I do think Trinnov does a better job on the Loudspeakers and I have a PS3 and OPPO for steaming Music from my PC and Pandora. The only real loss when using the 972 is not having vTuner. And truth be told, I have used the Net/USB part on my Onkyo at most 5-10% of the time so it is not a major deal to me.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #312 of 944 Old 05-07-12, 05:28 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Thanks for all the replies.

The 972 is in transit and I should get it by Friday. I won't have a chance to try it out until next week though as the weekend is full.

Once I have a chance to compare it to my Onkyo 5508 or 3008 in my downstairs system I will report back.

I do find it doubtful the Trinnov will do as good as XT32 for the subs, it almost looks like a joke when I look at how flat the response is with my subs. I really just want to hear what it does with the rest of the system and Trinnov is really intriguing.

Thanks again for the responses.
post #313 of 944 Old 05-07-12, 05:50 PM
Shackster

Also keep in mind that the Trinnov setup in the R972 only optimizes for one position, not an average of positions like Audessey.

The expensive, standalone Trinnov systems allow you to take measurements from multiple positions, weight them to importance, and then calculate a correction.

IMO, the key to Trinnov is the spatial correction, not EQ...although it is quite good.
post #314 of 944 Old 05-07-12, 08:31 PM
Shackster

The sub setup was a little finicky. But, once I dialed it in, it sounds seamless. You will get so much more with the EQ and spatial correction IMO, that the Audyssey comparison will be moot.

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.

The 972 is in transit and I should get it by Friday. I won't have a chance to try it out until next week though as the weekend is full.

Once I have a chance to compare it to my Onkyo 5508 or 3008 in my downstairs system I will report back.

I do find it doubtful the Trinnov will do as good as XT32 for the subs, it almost looks like a joke when I look at how flat the response is with my subs. I really just want to hear what it does with the rest of the system and Trinnov is really intriguing.

Thanks again for the responses.
post #315 of 944 Old 05-10-12, 11:25 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Fed-Ex Ground rocks

The R-972 arrived a day early so it gave me time to install it today as it was the only day that wasn't swamped for about a week. Put it first into the 2.1 channel system to make sure it works and it sounded fine. Even ran Trinnov but I don't think 2.1 channel is what will make Trinnov shine I guess because it didn't sound much different but it still sounded good.

Took it into the 6.1 channel system, usually 7.1 with wides but I decided to skip the wides and add a single back surround instead. I should have run a reset before running Trinnov but I forgot. Ran through the whole Trinnov set-up 3 times until I finally got 0 degrees for the center and hit compute. Thought I was done so I started listening to my usual test tracks and it sounded off. Looked at the front panel display and it read 2 channel down convert or something like that but I could hear information coming out of the surrounds. Remembered about the reset so I did that and ran Trinnov again and hit 0 degrees on the first shot this time and computed. This time it came out correct and it sounds pretty good, the speakers blend together nicely and you can't really pinpoint the location of the speakers.

It is a finicky receiver though and I can see how others would give up easily based on it's quibbles.

Jack had mentioned before that XT32 does a better job on the subs and that I can second. The subs did sound good though but the measured response was not close to what XT32 comes up with. I do like what I hear so far though but I had to stop as I think I had the volume up too loud and now my head is asking for a break. I am hoping it is just a headache from the hassles of setting up the 972 and not listener fatigue which I have gotten with a descent # of audio equipment over the years. I still need to listen to some music in the 6.1 channel system but I may have had enough for tonight and I may not have a chance to listen again until Tuesday night when I get some more free time.

I do want to try out the 6db sub boost file but I had read on another forum that you do not need to re-run Trinnov, anyone know about this? I am up to about page 21 on this thread but haven't read that yet.

I need some some aspirin, my head is pounding from trying to figure out why I lose video on my SMS-1 sometimes when I am trying to set my sub levels
post #316 of 944 Old 05-10-12, 11:45 PM
Shackster

Quote:
I do want to try out the 6db sub boost file but I had read on another forum that you do not need to re-run Trinnov, anyone know about this? I am up to about page 21 on this thread but haven't read that yet.
No...you do not need to rerun Trinnov. There are also instruction floating around that say to do a reset after loading the file...don't do that either.
post #317 of 944 Old 05-11-12, 12:23 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
cschang wrote: View Post
No...you do not need to rerun Trinnov. There are also instruction floating around that say to do a reset after loading the file...don't do that either.
Phew, what a relief.

So I just load the desired bass target onto a USB drive, select the USB input and connect the USB drive and remove once it says install completed or something?

I would try it tonight but of course I left all my USB drives at the office.
post #318 of 944 Old 05-11-12, 01:03 AM
Shackster

Quote:
Phew, what a relief.

So I just load the desired bass target onto a USB drive, select the USB input and connect the USB drive and remove once it says install completed or something?

I would try it tonight but of course I left all my USB drives at the office.
Yup...that's pretty much it.

Here's what I got for instructions:

"Please copy any of those factory.hex files to USB drive root position. (ex. E:\factory.hex)
To update this firmware, turn ON the 972 and wait for relay click. Once you hear the relay click, change the input to USB. When NO DEVICE displayed, please insert the USB drive to the front USB slot.

Update will automatically start."
I forget what it says when it's finished, but you will know. Just turn unit off and on.
post #319 of 944 Old 05-11-12, 01:13 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Thank you
post #320 of 944 Old 05-11-12, 01:28 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I did listen to some other tracks tonight including music. The music sounded good but I wouldn't say as good as the Onkyo 5508 it replaced. I seamed to notice that the music lost a little detail compared to the 5508 but that could just be in my head as I can't a/b them. My earlier headache also might have contributed to what I was hearing but it was gone and I was in good spirit's when I decided to give it another shot. It does sound good though but I didn't find my-self getting lost in the music which is when I know I have something I like.

I put on the Dolby TrueHD demo and I had to turn on Cinema EQ, I actually never use it on anything else but I was starting to get another headache from excess treble. I actually decided to turn off the spatial EQ and that really does make a difference but there are also volume changes that I noticed when running SMS-1 tests. It's much lower in volume with spatial EQ on 3-d than without, I should have marked down the difference but I would say it was in the 3db range. One thing that was really apparent with spatial EQ off was the subs, they were bloated and boomy which wasn't what I was expecting at all. All around turning off the spatial EQ was not good.

There still is that way it makes all the speakers disappear, last time I heard that was with the Halcro SSP-200. I also don't miss the DSX wides at all but to be fair they didn't add much in this room anyway.

I really want to like this as the way all the speakers blend together is really cool. It would have to be the dedicated movie system though as the audio drop-out's when it changes codecs would drive me crazy while watching TV.