Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 33 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #321 of 944 Old 05-11-12, 09:24 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Mike,
Going from something like the XT32 equipped 5508 might make for a difficult matchup for the 972. In addition, the 5508 retails for hundreds more than the 972 so I can see why you might not be as pleased with the 972.
However, in a challenging Acoustic Space, I really think Trinnov can work some magic and compared to up to $1000 AVR's, I really think it holds its own.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 944 Old 05-11-12, 10:02 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Your right Jack, the 5508 to 972 is not a fair comparison but it's close considering the 972's intended $1,800 retail price.

I really just need more time to listen to the 972 but there were some things I thought it did better than the 5508. I was a bit rushed yesterday as I knew if I didn't get it going that I wouldn't have the time until next week.

The 972 definitely has a more enveloping sound to it with 3-D Trinnov engaged than the 5508 in DSX wide mode. It might be fair to say that I like the 5508 more for music and the 972 more for movies but I need to put in some more time listening.
post #323 of 944 Old 05-11-12, 08:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
Your right Jack, the 5508 to 972 is not a fair comparison but it's close considering the 972's intended $1,800 retail price.

I really just need more time to listen to the 972 but there were some things I thought it did better than the 5508. I was a bit rushed yesterday as I knew if I didn't get it going that I wouldn't have the time until next week.

The 972 definitely has a more enveloping sound to it with 3-D Trinnov engaged than the 5508 in DSX wide mode. It might be fair to say that I like the 5508 more for music and the 972 more for movies but I need to put in some more time listening.
FWIW I was factoring in the MSRP of the 972 as otherwise it would be a difference in the thousands! While Trinnov has met every expectation, I still have my 3008 as XT32/SubEQ HT is special indeed.
Cheers,
J

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
post #324 of 944 Old 05-11-12, 10:56 PM
Shackster

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I did listen to some other tracks tonight including music. The music sounded good but I wouldn't say as good as the Onkyo 5508 it replaced. I seamed to notice that the music lost a little detail compared to the 5508 but that could just be in my head as I can't a/b them. My earlier headache also might have contributed to what I was hearing but it was gone and I was in good spirit's when I decided to give it another shot. It does sound good though but I didn't find my-self getting lost in the music which is when I know I have something I like.

I put on the Dolby TrueHD demo and I had to turn on Cinema EQ, I actually never use it on anything else but I was starting to get another headache from excess treble. I actually decided to turn off the spatial EQ and that really does make a difference but there are also volume changes that I noticed when running SMS-1 tests. It's much lower in volume with spatial EQ on 3-d than without, I should have marked down the difference but I would say it was in the 3db range. One thing that was really apparent with spatial EQ off was the subs, they were bloated and boomy which wasn't what I was expecting at all. All around turning off the spatial EQ was not good.

There still is that way it makes all the speakers disappear, last time I heard that was with the Halcro SSP-200. I also don't miss the DSX wides at all but to be fair they didn't add much in this room anyway.

I really want to like this as the way all the speakers blend together is really cool. It would have to be the dedicated movie system though as the audio drop-out's when it changes codecs would drive me crazy while watching TV.
The music losing some detail with spatial correction is understandable. For music, if your front speakers are narrower than 30 degrees from the listening position, Trinnov pulls some of that info and put it in the surrounds to try and widen the space. This puts some of that detail into the surrounds, and since those surrounds are at different angles and possibly a bit behind you, the perception of that detail changes. Kal Rubinson, in his review, felt he lost some treble energy with 2d/3d correction engaged. I notice the same in my setup...still not sure what I prefer.

Don't turn spatial EQ off...set it to LVL+DLY. That preserves the channel levels and delays, and shuts off the speaker angle corrections.

By setting spatial to none, you might have thrown off the sub level.

Last edited by cschang; 05-11-12 at 11:28 PM.
post #325 of 944 Old 05-12-12, 09:08 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Thanks for the tips cschang, they made a very nice difference.

I only had about an hour of free time today at the house so I loaded the 6db sub file which went along easy enough. I also used video 2 as my music setting for Trinnov, video 1 is set for movies. I changed the Trinnov parameters to music and LVL+DLY, forgot what the EQ was set to but either it was Natural or Flat. Now music sounded a lot better than it did the other day. I went back to video 1 which is set-up for movies with 3-D and cinema setting and there was a big difference.

Only had a chance to try a couple of movie clips so I put on Cloverfield to test out the added bass boost I just loaded and the subs were jumping.

I have to admit that even though the 5508 produces a much flatter response when measured in actual listening the bass sounds really good with the 972.

The more I listen to the 972 and get accustom to all the different settings the more I like it.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited by sub_crazy; 05-14-12 at 11:38 AM.
post #326 of 944 Old 05-13-12, 07:17 PM

I'm thinking getting this receiver for Trinnov. From HTM's measurement, the amp section looks "not that impressive" (Cannot post URL but it's on HTM). $1000 Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer have better numbers.

What software did you use the measure room responses? REW?
post #327 of 944 Old 05-13-12, 09:59 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
68 Watts into 5/7 Channels is really not that bad. For instance, here is the Bench Test of the $1100 Yamaha Aventage A1010:http://www.hometheater.com/content/y...-labs-measures
Cheers,
JJ

HT
post #328 of 944 Old 05-14-12, 11:14 AM
Shackster
RTPBob

Troubleshooting question

I'm still having problems with my unit dropping channels. Runs fine then the next day 2 channels are out. After moving a lot of interconnects around, it works again. Wife told me that last night lost a channel in the middle of a movie then it came back after a few minutes. This is driving a power amp out of the preamp outs. Have tried multiple different interconnects with same results. After working fine, it drops out and in without anyone touching of the system.

Is it possible to put a meter on the preamp and power amp outputs to determine which one of them is dropping? If so, what sort of reading am I looking for?

Thanks
post #329 of 944 Old 05-14-12, 11:27 AM
Shackster

^^^
I would contact Sherwood support, or exchange the unit.
post #330 of 944 Old 05-15-12, 09:42 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Well after much deliberation I decided to keep the R972. I have learned to live with it's quirks and the sound quality for the money just keeps impressing me more and more. I do have some hope for future firmware updates but even if they never happen I will still be happy with it as it is.