Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 35 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #341 of 944 Old 06-14-12, 02:31 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

There is not that I am aware of - I was able to plug and play my Crown XLS1500 just as Jack said. I second Tony's suggestion - that is one I did as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 944 Old 06-14-12, 03:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

There is not an Amp Assign. When I setup my 972 I simply connected my amps like I do with every AVR and just like that they was Sound. Just to make double sure, is there any chance you might have connected the RCA's from the amp accidentally into the Mutichannel Input? I have been guilty of doing this in the past and would neatly explain the issues you are having.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #343 of 944 Old 06-14-12, 04:23 PM
Shackster
Rich Morrison

JJ,
There may be something to the 12V trigger issue. I had always used a mono 1/8" plug on the B&Ks and noticed the 972 called for a stereo plug. On close scrutiny of the diagram on the back of the B&K I now see that is shows a stereo plug also. I switched to a stereo cable last night and found the amp came on with the 972 when the trigger cable was plugged into the amps output rather than input. With the trigger cable disconnected the amp didn't want to turn on.

I thought maybe I had plugged into the 972's inputs instead of outputs last night. Double checking revealed the surprising result that it did it right!

Tonyvdb,
I did notice that if the audio signal was sent out on HDMI that the amplifier section was turned off. I think I set that correctly as confirmed by connecting one speaker up to the 972 amp and getting sound output.

hjones4841,
That is what I was wondering, if there was some sort of assignment between preamp or power amp outputs that I had missed. I appears that there is no such assignment. The preamp should be on all the time. That is what I intend to find out tonight with a volt meter on the preamp outputs. If there is output there I've isolated it to the trigger or some other problem in the amp. If that is the case I'll hook the speakers up to the 972 untill I can diagnose the B&K amps problem.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but am wondering if my system is going to give the Trinnov fits. I set my theatre up more like a commercial THX one with 10 surround speakers, 3 surround on each side (3 rows of 4 seats) and 4 across the back (2 for each surround back channel). Therefor the Trinnov may be confused by the 2 or 3 distances to each surround channel. The three front speakers are dipole ribbons (Apogee Stage L&R, BG 42" center). I've pretty well turned them into monopoles with heavy absorption behind them so they may not be a problem. I don't have any other speakers with the center ribbon so it has a protective 250 Hz high pass filter, so it crosses ove quite a bit higher than the surrounds and the Apogees are full range.

Thanks for al your ideas. I'll report results tonight or tomorrow.
Rich
post #344 of 944 Old 06-14-12, 05:42 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Wow Rich - that sounds like an impressive set-up. Any chance we could get you to post up some pics in the Photos subforum?

post #345 of 944 Old 06-14-12, 06:49 PM
Shackster
Rich Morrison

I'd be happy to but it will be a couple weeks as I'll be traveling all next week and am busy getting things done before I leave. In some ways it is not too impressive as all speakers are hidden behind curtains in the front and stretched fabric walls on the side. I used double knit grill cloth from Parts Express and snap-tex moldings to hold it on the sides. The surround back speakers are exposed on a shelf. The fabric also hides absorbers at first reflection areas and diffusers above and below.
Rich
post #346 of 944 Old 06-14-12, 07:49 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

If you have a 1/8 plug to RCA cable or adapter you can use a MP3 player (iPod, etc.) to check the amp. Just plug it into the amp, but remember to have the volume turned down on the player first.

Hug your pet today!
post #347 of 944 Old 06-15-12, 01:09 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
richard7948 wrote: View Post
I'd be happy to but it will be a couple weeks as I'll be traveling all next week and am busy getting things done before I leave. In some ways it is not too impressive as all speakers are hidden behind curtains in the front and stretched fabric walls on the side. I used double knit grill cloth from Parts Express and snap-tex moldings to hold it on the sides. The surround back speakers are exposed on a shelf. The fabric also hides absorbers at first reflection areas and diffusers above and below.
Rich
Hope you find resolution with the amp issues. I am curious, how do you determine dipole first reflection points?

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #348 of 944 Old 06-15-12, 11:41 AM
Inactive
Ty

Ordered one of these units today from A4L, looking forward to checking out Trinnov
post #349 of 944 Old 06-15-12, 01:16 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
TypeA wrote: View Post
Ordered one of these units today from A4L, looking forward to checking out Trinnov
Ty,
You are amassing quite an array of AVR's. I know the feeling. I really do look forward to reading your impressions on the 972 as you have so recently have experiences with Onkyo and Marantz to compare the S/N to.

I remain quite impressed with Trinnov. Moreover, I am quite fond of the Industrial Design on the 972, My biggest gripe about the 972 is the Remote Control. I ended up using the Remote Control from my former TX-NR3007 as when Onkyo USA replaced it with a brand new 3008, I did not bring the RC to the local Service Center where it was first attempted to be repaired. It was actually quite easy to make the Onkyo RC learn all of the important commands from the S/N Remote. For $600, it truly is a stellar deal and all the better with a 3 Year Warranty. Congrats amigo.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #350 of 944 Old 06-15-12, 02:37 PM
Inactive
Ty

Thanks Jack, its already shipped so might be here as early as tomorrow.

As luck would have it I still have a brand new 3007 remote I purchased as a back-up when I owned the 3007. It's a fine remote that I was very pleased with when I was using the 3007. For some strange reason the guy who purchased the receiver didnt want it for a zone 2, or even just as a backup remote, so I still have it laying around somewhere in a box. I figure Ill continue to use the Home Theater Master 9000 for zone 1 like I currently do with the Marantz, the Onkyo remote will likely be relegated to zone 2 operations.

The Marantz 8002 which, ironically enough has an awesome zone 2 remote, has been up for sale for a few weeks now. Sadly no takers even at $550 shipped and it being listed on four sites. Hopefully I dont have to drop in price too much to get it sold, its an excellent receiver that has served me very well, simply no room in my signature for dual-AVRs tho.

I plan to follow Curt's instructions for dual-room calibration and use the surround back pre-outs to drive a Trinnov-calibrated stereo pair of Martin Logan LX-16s and VTF2 MK3 sub Ive got running in zone two (via the UPA-2 amp). Its awesome that Hsu has high-level inputs on their subs, helps me avoid having to split the 972's sub out and power off the sub Im not using every time I switch zones. Personally I think high-level inputs on subs should be mandatory, but I digress. The video for the zone 2 will be component to a 720p Mitsubishi HC-3000 projector in the master bedroom, hopefully the HDMI connected Sanyo I have in zone 1 will play nice with the finicky 972 HDMI control. Only question I have, and that my research has not revealed, is if the saved Trinnov calibrations have discrete remote control codes. Obviously that will make a big difference in how easy it will be to go from a 5.1 hdmi connection in zone 1 to a component 2.1 connection in zone 2 by just selecting between two Trinnov calibrations.