Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 36 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #351 of 944 Old 06-15-12, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Ty, looking forward as well to your impressions of the 972. One thing you will notice out of the box is the shear size of the receiver. Its bigger in every way than my Onkyo 805 and I thought it was a big unit.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 944 Old 06-15-12, 01:48 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Ty, looking forward as well to your impressions of the 972. One thing you will notice out of the box is the shear size of the receiver. Its bigger in every way than my Onkyo 805 and I thought it was a big unit.
+1 - welcome to the 972 club Ty. And, she is a beast - I had to make new holes in my living room TV stand / rack just to get it to fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #353 of 944 Old 06-15-12, 02:04 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Have you guys tried setting up the remote for RF operation? I had to do it for mine as the receiver is situated in a way for my Harmony RF extender to work but to use the 972 remote I had to walk back to it as I had no line of sight from the LP. The remote works much better in RF mode so when I want to make changes in the set-up menu I can do it easily from my LP.

post #354 of 944 Old 06-15-12, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Hey Mike, no I have not but I should give it a try.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #355 of 944 Old 06-15-12, 02:19 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Congrats TypeA.

I remember when I first got it I was advised to do a reset first thing then do the trinnov calibration. Tony has it in the first post but I will repeat it here:

Quote:

To check the version of your R-972 firmware:
hold Display and Enter/Memo

To reset the R-972 to factory settings:
Once in Standby Mode, press and hold down the STANDBY & MEMO/ENTER buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds. This will reset the unit and it will turn on automatically. If the reset was successful, you should notice that the receiver powers up at 87.5 FM . If not, repeat the reset process.

Information on installing the bass boost Hex files here
Adding the 6db bass boost really helped as well, if not the bass was a little anemic for me.

Here is the advice cschang gave me about doing the bass boost update and it worked perfectly for me:

Quote:
cschang wrote: View Post
Here's what I got for instructions:

"Please copy any of those factory.hex files to USB drive root position. (ex. E:\factory.hex)
To update this firmware, turn ON the 972 and wait for relay click. Once you hear the relay click, change the input to USB. When NO DEVICE displayed, please insert the USB drive to the front USB slot.

Update will automatically start."
I forget what it says when it's finished, but you will know. Just turn unit off and on.
Overall I really like it and the dialog clarity is one of the biggest improvements. XT32 does do a better job on the subs but I still have my SMS-1 around to take care of that but the 3D mapping is what really makes it special. For movies I really enjoy 3D mapping but for music I took cschang's advice and set spatial EQ from 3D to LVL+DLY and music really improved for me. I actually have Video 1 set up for movies from my Oppo BD Player and Video 2 set up for music using the same Oppo and HDMI input so I don't have to go into the service menu each time and change it.
post #356 of 944 Old 06-15-12, 02:22 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
Hey Mike, no I have not but I should give it a try.
It makes a huge difference, even standing in front of the 972 with the remote in IR mode it sometimes took 4 button pushes to get it to take the command as the remote has such a small IR window. You had to have the aim of a sharp shooter. With RF it is 2 button pushes max most times, not perfect but a lot better and the 972 will still take IR commands from my Harmony.
post #357 of 944 Old 06-15-12, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I use only my Harmony for general use. If Im setting up the unit or adjusting it sometimes I will switch to the 972s remote. Its just a badly designed remote in my opinion.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #358 of 944 Old 06-15-12, 02:28 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I have a question for you guys.

I recently did another Trinnov calibration and just figured the 6db bass boost would still be in the firmware. After the calibration I went to make adjustments with my SMS-1 and noticed that my bass levels were back to normal, I no longer had the 6db bass boost. I went ahead and re-loaded the 6db bass file but when I went into the SMS-1 it was still the same. I then decided I would load the flat file, turn off the 972 and check with the SMS-1 and it was the same. I then re-loaded the 6db boost and after power recycling it was the same, nothing changed like it did when I first applied the 6db boost. I just went ahead and turned up the volume on my SMS-1 until I had the same levels as before.

I am thinking I probably should have reset the 972 before doing another calibration, then add in the 6db boost, does that sound right?
post #359 of 944 Old 06-15-12, 02:33 PM
Inactive
Ty

Much appreciated Mike. Its amazing the number of pro reviews on the 972, I suppose we have the first ever consumer-level Trinnov implementation in a receiver to thank for that. So having read all the reviews I figure I have a good grasp on the base-line settings I will being using to start; music, natural, 3D...and then tweak from there. I think I will especially benefit as my mains are really tall and the center is pretty low below my screen, so I should greatly benefit from the 3D settings. To say nothing of the acoustically-terrible install I have in zone 2 and setting up a calibration in that zone as well...

Will certainly install the new curve, will likely try the +6 to start. Again, appreciate the advice.
post #360 of 944 Old 06-15-12, 03:05 PM
Inactive
Ty

Thanks Tony and Joe, looking forward to doing some comparisons myself. Will probably take me a little while to get it all set up and calibrated as my system is a little complicated, had to order a 50' cable extension for the calibration mic today as the included length wont be enough with my remote installs and all, should be fun tho...