Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 39 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #381 of 944 Old 07-01-12, 09:18 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Great review Ty - appreciate all the thought and effort you put into it. The component issue is intriguing.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 944 Old 07-01-12, 12:34 PM
Inactive
Ty

Thanks for the compliments guys. I have high hopes that the cables to go matrix switch will work with no loss in picture quality. From all the reviews Ive read most owners are really happy with it, despite it being hundreds of dollars less than any other matrix with dual outputs. Since the Sherwood doesnt offer video support in zone 2 using a matrix switch will also allow me to keep zone 1 powered off instead of muting it as Ive been doing recently whenever using my zone 2 system, so if it works it will actually solve two problems. I guess muting zone 1 when only using zone 2 isnt technically a problem but it does make the system a little more complicated to do it that way...
post #383 of 944 Old 07-02-12, 07:57 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
TypeA wrote: View Post
It's all about the sound
This is, if youll forgive the expression, an audiophile's receiver.
I am a dyed in the wool subjectivist audiophile, and am having a ball with this amp using only the manual settings for 2.1 music playback. The bass management system helped greatly with sub/mains integration. Can't wait to get surround and Trinnov going for my 5.1 SACD's and DVD-A's.

I also had a bit of trouble with the initial HDMI handshake to my HDTV, but all is good now.

Nice review, TypeA, thanks for taking the time.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks

post #384 of 944 Old 07-05-12, 10:42 PM
Shackster
RTPBob

Ty, loved the review. As for the 50' calibration issue......I have a suggestion that might work. For calibration purposes only, use longer speaker wires (or interconnects to the amp) and move the receiver. I did that with mine (only needed to move it a few extra feet, so I didn't need different wires) and then I moved it back to it's normal spot after it was calibrated.

Bob
post #385 of 944 Old 07-06-12, 01:10 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I am a little late but enjoyed reading your review Ty

It does have a lot of quirks but the sound quality is the only reason it is still around. I am not sure I could take the quirks in my living room system but I am going to have to try it out soon to see if ordering a second one is in order.

I really hope Trinnov makes another appearance in a future product that doesn't cost anywhere from $10K to $40K. I would gladly pay a surcharge to have Onkyo/Integra integrate Trinnov into one of there pre-pro's. As much as I like Audyssey XT32 and maybe even prefer it for music what Trinnov does for movies is magic.
post #386 of 944 Old 07-06-12, 11:09 AM
Inactive
Ty

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I am a little late but enjoyed reading your review Ty

It does have a lot of quirks but the sound quality is the only reason it is still around. I am not sure I could take the quirks in my living room system but I am going to have to try it out soon to see if ordering a second one is in order.

I really hope Trinnov makes another appearance in a future product that doesn't cost anywhere from $10K to $40K. I would gladly pay a surcharge to have Onkyo/Integra integrate Trinnov into one of there pre-pro's. As much as I like Audyssey XT32 and maybe even prefer it for music what Trinnov does for movies is magic.
Certainly makes you one of the only sources Ive found for direct comparisons between Audyssey XT32 and Trinnov. Have you posted more specific insights comparing the two?

And Im happy to report that between the cables to go component video switcher, and monoprice HDMI amp, Ive got the video performance in both zones very solid. I suppose technically those add an extra $150 to the R-972 but it still seems a remarkable bargain even at $750
post #387 of 944 Old 07-06-12, 01:22 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
TypeA wrote: View Post
Certainly makes you one of the only sources Ive found for direct comparisons between Audyssey XT32 and Trinnov. Have you posted more specific insights comparing the two?
Jack also has XT32 and early on in this thread I believe I asked him about the differences before I ordered the 972.

For me the 972 replaced a Onkyo 5508 with XT32 in my theater room. I have been really impressed by the 5508 and XT32 for music and movies and had it set-up for wides using DSX but my conclusion was that wides only added a small amount in my new room. I will add though that wides added a lot in my last home as it bridged the gap between the mains and the surrounds so it was a more seamless blend. I concluded that DSX is room dependent on how effective it will be as the difference was easily noticed between my 2 different room. Trinnov sounds like what a good wides set-up sounds like without using wide channels, it is that immersive.

Now on to the comparison between the 5508 and 972. I still feel that the 5508 is better for music as I get a better separation between vocal and instruments and it has slightly more laid back character. I have found that LVL+DLY is my preferred re-mapping mode for music with the 972, love 3D re-map for movies but even in it's music setting 3D doesn't do it for me for music.

XT32 also does a better job on the subs and as an overall EQ I feel it is more polished. What XT32 and all other EQ's lack though is 3D re-mapping which truly allows the speakers to disappear, it's like audio magic. I also notice with the 972 that dialog is much more intelligible with movies, more so than any other pre-pro I have owned.

I actually un-hooked the 972 from my movie only system last night and will try it out sometime soon in my living room system which is more music oriented. There I will do more of a comparison between the 5508 and 972 or possibly the 3008 which I also have. If I can get a better musical presentation in the living room system with the 972 then I might just order a second.
post #388 of 944 Old 07-06-12, 05:16 PM
Senior Shackster

D

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
One big problem I did not have before. Cranking up music near 0 dB causes the Sherwood to distort it's output to the mains and the sub amp greatly,with all speakers put out a horrible humming sound. If I am clipping the Sherwood's amp (unlikely, my mains are extraordinarily efficient), it should go into protection, not distort. I don't ordinarily listen at this level, just messing around.

Anybody else have this problem?
Quote:
Cannot get the distorted output at higher levels, I think you are right about the amp output issues, cschang.
Quote:
I did dial down the subs to within 1 dB of the mains during calibration, still get the humming at high volumes.
Quote:
Reran calibration, until the subs were 3 dB hotter than the mains. Cranked the gain another 3 dB or so on the sub amp, it does sound much better. No hum even at +5 dB on the AVR, which is much louder than I normally listen.
Hi tesseract,

I've been playing around with one of these.

What exactly did you do to get the humming noise to stop becoming audible when the volume control on the 972 is turned up past +0dB?I'm having the same issue with my unit and it's really annoying And I can't seem to figure out what's causing it.I've had 2 units that have done this so it looks like they all have the potential,but I don't understand why some have the issue and others don't notice it.

Thanks
post #389 of 944 Old 07-07-12, 03:37 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Trying out the 972 right now in the living room system which consists of a 5 channel Von Schweikert system, EAD PM2000 amp and for now dual Audiopulse/TC Sounds Axis 12" which I am testing out.

I like the Trinnov calculation for the crossovers, about 55 to 58 for all 5 channels to the subs which is right about exactly what I found to be the best blend in this room. So far I have only listened to music but here I find re-mapping set to 2D with the EQ set to Natural and the music curve to be the best so far. Still find 3D remapping to be just bad for music as the vocals just get pushed back or sort of lost in the mix. My previous favorite of LVL+DLY for music is too bright in this room so it's an easy switch back to 2D.

I have to go off of memory of the 5508 but it seems to have more detail that I feel is missing with the 972 and a bit better separation. The 5508 is also a little more laid back, the 972 has a more forward character so it just depends on what you like. I think I fall somewhere in between but for some music feel the 972 is too forward so my preference would probably be for the 5508 as it has never been too laid back sounding.
The 972 definitely wins on integrating all the speakers and subs as they feel like they are one cohesive unit instead of 6 separate channels were the Trinnov magic really shines though.

I think I have said it before here but if the 5508 had Trinnov then I would be as happy as a pig in slop To me the 5508 is a more refined sounding unit but Trinnov trumps XT32 ONLY in the added re-mapping, XT32 I still feel is the more powerful EQ.

I only listened to a little TV and no movies yet but will give it a try since today I am free. Now that I look at the clock I spent an hour already listening to music which I would not have if I was hating what I hear.

If I was forced to make a decision right now between the 5508 and 972 for the downstairs system I would pick the 5508. I know it sounds like the 972 would have won based on what I just finished saying but the more refined sound of the 5508 is my preference right now for music. The 5508 also has preformed flawlessly for me, just had that one repair that everyone seemed to have under warranty but after that 0 problems. The 972 is staying in the movie only system, it definitely wins for movies I am just not convinced yet for music.
post #390 of 944 Old 07-07-12, 06:30 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
Drudge wrote: View Post
Hi tesseract,

I've been playing around with one of these.

What exactly did you do to get the humming noise to stop becoming audible when the volume control on the 972 is turned up past +0dB?I'm having the same issue with my unit and it's really annoying And I can't seem to figure out what's causing it.I've had 2 units that have done this so it looks like they all have the potential,but I don't understand why some have the issue and others don't notice it.

Thanks
I probably had the sub gain too low, which Trinnov tried to boost, overloading the sub amp input. I rode the gain on the subwoofer amp, paying attention to the levels Trinnov was setting the L/R speakers, and running calibration several times until I had the subs measuring 3 dB hotter than the mains. This would tell Trinnov to dial back the signal level, and I later boosted it back up with the sub amp gain control.

Also, Trinnov may have been trying to boost down low. The Dayton sub amp has a PEQ, so I dialed in a 4 dB boost around 20-25 Hz on the front panel dial. This would take the load off Trinnov having to boost that area.

Hope this helps, Drudge. Please keep us posted.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks