Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 40 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #391 of 944 Old 07-08-12, 05:02 PM
Senior Shackster

D

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
I probably had the sub gain too low, which Trinnov tried to boost, overloading the sub amp input. I rode the gain on the subwoofer amp, paying attention to the levels Trinnov was setting the L/R speakers, and running calibration several times until I had the subs measuring 3 dB hotter than the mains. This would tell Trinnov to dial back the signal level, and I later boosted it back up with the sub amp gain control.

Also, Trinnov may have been trying to boost down low. The Dayton sub amp has a PEQ, so I dialed in a 4 dB boost around 20-25 Hz on the front panel dial. This would take the load off Trinnov having to boost that area.

Hope this helps, Drudge. Please keep us posted.
My sub level, reported by Trinnov, is even with the other channels.I may try calibrating with the sub level 3dB hotter and see if that helps.I don't really think I can try much else.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 944 Old 07-08-12, 05:15 PM
Senior Shackster

D

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I think I have said it before here but if the 5508 had Trinnov then I would be as happy as a pig in slop To me the 5508 is a more refined sounding unit but Trinnov trumps XT32 ONLY in the added re-mapping, XT32 I still feel is the more powerful EQ.
Subcrazy,

I'm curious do you feel that XT32 is more powerful in the bass region or is it just superior across the whole spectrum?I've noticed many feel that the Trinnov seems better than XT32,but it seems that they are favoring the spatial mapping and I don't know if that means the EQ is necessarily better.I added a my subEQ to the 972 and I heard an immediate improvement in the subwoofer EQ result vs. what the 972 Trinnov EQ could do on it's own.
post #393 of 944 Old 07-08-12, 10:18 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
Drudge wrote: View Post
Subcrazy,

I'm curious do you feel that XT32 is more powerful in the bass region or is it just superior across the whole spectrum?I've noticed many feel that the Trinnov seems better than XT32,but it seems that they are favoring the spatial mapping and I don't know if that means the EQ is necessarily better.I added a my subEQ to the 972 and I heard an immediate improvement in the subwoofer EQ result vs. what the 972 Trinnov EQ could do on it's own.
XT32 includes the SubEQ and it's results are ruler flat in my system, Trinnov does a good job but there are still some peaks that could use some tweaking.

I do feel it might be more of a hardware preference as well since the 972 has a more forward sound without any EQ than the 5508 or 3008 without EQ as well. That is why I would love a 5508 with Trinnov as it would be the best of both worlds, at least in my music system, the theater system might benefit from the more forward 972.

I really like both the 972 and 5508, the former for movies and the latter for music but they both do everything very well. It is the Spatial Mapping with Trinnov that really brings something special to the table for movies tough, for movies it is the clear winner.

post #394 of 944 Old 07-09-12, 05:23 PM
Inactive
Ty

Well I made changes that I think sound better with the av123 speakers Im running, lossless and surround sound processing only and Ive not done much in the way of pure music listening.

Went from "music" to "cinema", that 20 degree spread sounds better than the 30 degree setting. Also changed from "natural" to "audiophile1", blends the speakers together even better. These two changes also, if you can believe this, make the dialog less forward. Never thought I would be dialing back the movie dialog, not with todays hot-mastered movie soundtracks and all

[gush] Truly remarkable the harmony and cohesion this AVR can bring to a speaker package, its like Ive got a whole new theater experience, and thats not just lossless performance but dolby surround sound formats also. The more I listen the more impressed I am. [/gush]
post #395 of 944 Old 07-10-12, 01:17 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I agree Ty, this is pretty good stuff.

Just tonight was catching up on True Blood on the DVR and had a friend over. There was a scene near the end were a sound came from the behind the characters, I paused it as we both thought there was a noise in the kitchen. Rewound the scene and again we thought it couldn't be the speakers must be something in the kitchen, we both turned around each time. Tried it one more time as now I was convinced it was in the soundtrack but she thought no way. Once again the sound came from the kitchen so just to convince her I re-played the scene one more time and she asked, you sure there are no speakers back there? This was all with a 5.1 channel system, no back surrounds. It really creates a wall of sound that encompasses you.

I still have to put one of the XT32 capable units to compare but even after about a couple of months of ownership the 972 continues to impress.
post #396 of 944 Old 07-10-12, 04:14 PM
Shackster
Rich Morrison

I noticed that the indicator light around the power button is blue all the time rather than turning to amber in standby, as stated in the manual. Anyone think this is an issue to be concerned about? my 30 days is getting close if not past with Acessories 4 Less.
Rich Morrison
post #397 of 944 Old 07-10-12, 04:37 PM
Inactive
Ty

Mine remains amber all the time
post #398 of 944 Old 07-10-12, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Hmmm, I dont see why it would be an issue. Mine does change color from amber to blue when powered on. Certainly not going to affect the audio quality of the receiver.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #399 of 944 Old 07-10-12, 10:27 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

IIRC, that happened to me once or twice. I am pretty sure it was because someone had poked the power button on the Zone 2 remote. Once I turned it off, it went back to amber.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #400 of 944 Old 07-11-12, 01:48 PM
Inactive
Ty

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
IIRC, that happened to me once or twice. I am pretty sure it was because someone had poked the power button on the Zone 2 remote. Once I turned it off, it went back to amber.
I guess that was an issue for me as well, after reexamination Ive found that mine operates as it should.

Even if the power light wasnt working right, like staying one color all the time, I would be wayyyyy too lazy to exchange it for something like that. Id rather write it off as having a unique unit with one-of-a-kind operating parameters.