Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 45 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #441 of 944 Old 08-06-12, 03:16 PM
Inactive
Ty

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
Drudge wrote: View Post
Hi,

My current set-up includes a Lexicon MC-12(non HD) combined with both Audyssey standalone EQ boxes.I just get better clarity,dynamics and bass weight with this set-up than I do with the R-972.I was just really interested in try out Trinnov and this is the only obtainable version of it that I can afford.I guess it wasn't really a fair comparison,but I was hoping the R-972 would be pretty close in sound quality to what I already have with the Lex/Audyssey,but it lacks the sonic attributes that I've come to really like with those units.The Trinnov remapping though,is where the Lex/Audyssey can't compete and that's where I lose a little,but it's not enough for me to keep the R-972.
Thats interesting D. I can find very little about stand-alone Audyssey EQ systems, got a model number? Im wondering if they can still be found on the market...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #442 of 944 Old 08-06-12, 03:53 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
TypeA wrote: View Post
Thats interesting D. I can find very little about stand-alone Audyssey EQ systems, got a model number? Im wondering if they can still on the market...
I agree. The only current Audyssey standalone I can think of is the SVS AS-EQ1. SubEQ HT that is bundled with most Audyssey MultEQ XT32 AVR/SSP's with the exception of the new Onkyo TX-NR818 is based off of it.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #443 of 944 Old 08-06-12, 04:42 PM
Senior Shackster

D

The Audyssey standalone units that I have are the Sound Equalizer and the SubEQ.These units have been around since 2007 and are no longer in production and have been dicontinued.You can still find them on the used market.They were designed as statement products for Audyssey and used for high end and studio/post production applications at the time.Audyssey primarily provides their MultEQ product as a software solution now and this is the direction that they were always heading in.The Sound Equalizer had the most powerful version of XT before the advent of XT32.The SubEQ is the same as the SVS unit,but adds an additional zone and requires the Pro kit for calibration and has the same resolution and function as the SubEQ feature in the XT32 equipped AVR's.

post #444 of 944 Old 08-09-12, 12:14 PM
Senior Shackster
bg

Well, this receiver is very tempting for the price. But there's nothing I hate more than a quirk like missing some audio due to a change in format. I remember the first Cirrus Logic decoders were notorious for that, and they plagued HK receivers. I don't understand how something like that still happens on a modern AVR. I'd love to try Trinnov, but I'd kick myself every time I'd miss some audio. But then again, I wonder how ofter I'd encounter this while watching OTA HD. Hmmmm....
post #445 of 944 Old 08-09-12, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

What audio do you think the 972 would miss? It has all the latest decoders including TruHD and DTS MA

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #446 of 944 Old 08-09-12, 12:36 PM
Senior Shackster
bg

I has a delay in locking onto the digital audio though. So anytime the incoming signal is different, it has to re-sync. That's normal, but apparently this receiver is a bit slow to lock-on. So you may miss a second or two of audio. On older HK receivers, users would complain of missing a couple of seconds of digital audio CD's, when they would skip to the next song and such. Not sure if it's that bad on the Sherwood, but you get the idea. I'm guessing anytime the digital audio signal changes or is interrupted, you may lose a bit or two. Maybe someone can comment on their experience as they channel surf on cable or satellite?
post #447 of 944 Old 08-09-12, 12:41 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Yes, it does happen periodically when I change channels - especially when I go from standard to HD. It is somewhat annoying I admit, but that is really the only quirk I have noticed - besides the remote of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #448 of 944 Old 08-09-12, 03:09 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

It doesn't happen when changing tracks on CD's, the 4 second mute only happens when switching from say Dolby Digital to a stereo signal like a HD prime time show then a standard commercial.
post #449 of 944 Old 08-09-12, 03:23 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
It doesn't happen when changing tracks on CD's, the 4 second mute only happens when switching from say Dolby Digital to a stereo signal like a HD prime time show then a standard commercial.
Indeed. The good news is that more and more Commercials aired in Prime Time are actually encoded in 5.1. Moreover, sadly some of the most creative use of Surround Steering is done by Commercial Directors. It is this field where Michael Bay first gained notice. He is still Partners in an Advertising Firm to this day. Many other Film Directors share a similar background to Bay.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #450 of 944 Old 08-09-12, 05:30 PM
Inactive
Ty

Ive developed a new issue (or maybe Im just now noticing it) and Im hoping I can get some input. I have two subs hooked up to the R-972, one is Trinnov calibrated in zone 1 and the other is fed with two channel analog from the zone 2 output. When the receiver is powered off, including zone 2, my subs are making a subtle thumping sound. It seems random but its loud enough, and low enough, that it can be heard throughout the whole house at night. There doesnt seem to be a pattern to the thumps, and theyre not hard but both subs are doing it. When I unplug the power from the Sherwood the subs stop thumping. Anybody have any thoughts?