Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 47 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #461 of 944 Old 08-13-12, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

I read a few posts on AVS that users have had this thump happen. It seem common enough that I think its just another quirk and not a problem with the unit. I only her it if I am using the Trinnov Imaging correction 2D/3D and such if I have it set to none I dont hear it.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #462 of 944 Old 08-13-12, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Not sure if anyone has seen this but I found this very useful PDF on the 972 and how to correctly understand and use Trinnov, located here

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #463 of 944 Old 08-13-12, 03:18 PM
Inactive
Ty

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Not sure if anyone has seen this but I found this very useful PDF on the 972 and how to correctly understand and use Trinnov, located here
Yep but i was bummed i couldnt get the two trinnov calibrated rooms found on page 12 to work for me. This article was linked early on in this thread, i think by jj. Just got new seating in the theater so might give the dual calibrations another shot. Maybe its the folded ribbon martin logans that are high mounted in zone 2 that trinnov just doesnt like...
post #464 of 944 Old 08-16-12, 08:31 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Just got the whole family room system hooked up. Ran the Trinnov and got an interesting result.

Distances and levels seem right, but the -6dB point for the speakers said zero for all of them. Anyone else get this? My fronts are a pair of DIY 2.5" speakers that I know can't play below 80 Hz, and I was putting them at 120Hz manually.

Sadly my cal mic is packed for shipping (calibration), so I can't get an REW reading.

Did I do something wrong? I figure even if it got the fronts wrong, it should have had something for the surrounds (8" in ceiling speakers).

Overall it sounds pretty good with just the position and DLY+LVL spatial mode. 2D and 3D sounded weird.

Still playing around with it. I'm sure some of this is my fault
post #465 of 944 Old 08-16-12, 08:38 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Something doesn't sound right.

I have always found that I get better results if I do a factory reset before running Trinnov, I have only gotten weird results when I have not done this.

I copied this from the first post on this thread:

To reset the R-972 to factory settings:

Once in Standby Mode, press and hold down the STANDBY & MEMO/ENTER buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds. This will reset the unit and it will turn on automatically. If the reset was successful, you should notice that the receiver powers up at 87.5 FM . If not, repeat the reset process.
post #466 of 944 Old 08-16-12, 08:48 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

I set all the speakers to full with no crossover and ran it again.

The volume on the measurement was much louder, and I do remember turning it up while I watched shows to listen to the differences.

I did not pay attention to that last time, but it might be dependent on the system volume. It's calculating now. Might be the levels were too low and the speakers could handle full range at that lower volume

We'll find out . . .
post #467 of 944 Old 08-16-12, 09:05 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

nope, still zero for the -6dB point.

I wonder if this is because I don't have a sub yet. The rears can handle some bass, but the fronts are definitely smalls. I'll try the reset tomorrow night and recal. For now it's not bad, though.
post #468 of 944 Old 08-18-12, 05:41 PM
Senior Shackster

D

Sounds like another Sherwood quirk rearing it's ugly head.

The sub thumping is normal in standby mode and I doubt there will be any fix for it.These units definitely have stability issues.There seems to be no rhyme or reason to some of the results you get from the calibration.
post #469 of 944 Old 08-20-12, 09:37 AM
Shackster

Good Day:

Can anyone please inform me if the 972 can accept dsd over hdmi and decode it as sacd. This is the only issue I find not clear in all the info I find. Thinking of selling my onkyo 3009 for one of these. Love to try Trinnov. Also how is the vid processor. I usuall use direct or through for that anyway.
Thanks in advance.
post #470 of 944 Old 08-20-12, 05:42 PM
Senior Shackster

D

The R-972 doesn't accept DSD direct over HDMI, only DSD to PCM decoded by the player.The video processor works,but most recommend just bypassing it.I don't know how well it would compare to the Onkyo 3009.