Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 48 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #471 of 944 Old 08-20-12, 04:48 PM
Inactive
Ty

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
bobav wrote: View Post
Good Day:

Can anyone please inform me if the 972 can accept dsd over hdmi and decode it as sacd. This is the only issue I find not clear in all the info I find. Thinking of selling my onkyo 3009 for one of these. Love to try Trinnov. Also how is the vid processor. I usuall use direct or through for that anyway.
Thanks in advance.
Im not sure on the DSD decoding but the R972 is extremely disfunctional even just as a video switcher. As a video processor I wouldnt count on it at all. Now many will tout it as having the outstanding "HQV Reon" video processor but my guess is the implementation is terrible and the fact that it has a Reon is actually irrelevant.

That having been said, I wouldnt trade my R972 for anything. Its all about audio processing and, in that regard, the Sherwood delivers in spades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #472 of 944 Old 08-20-12, 05:02 PM
Shackster

Thank you for the reply. Still might give it a try.
post #473 of 944 Old 08-21-12, 04:24 PM
Shackster

The Hunting Lodge Sherwood NC 972 System is taking shape.

The Digital Front End / Server will be MacBook Air running Amarra 2.4
Firestone Audio Redkey will handle USB >Spdif to the 972's DAC's

iRoomie will handle the IR to wifi interface for IPad control.

Still have not solved the dilemma of how to utilize the amplification channels internal to the 972 for 6 Channels over 3 Zones. All creative input appreciated.

post #474 of 944 Old 08-21-12, 05:29 PM
Senior Shackster

D

Quote:
Damon54 wrote: View Post
The Hunting Lodge Sherwood NC 972 System is taking shape.

The Digital Front End / Server will be MacBook Air running Amarra 2.4
Firestone Audio Redkey will handle USB >Spdif to the 972's DAC's

iRoomie will handle the IR to wifi interface for IPad control.

Still have not solved the dilemma of how to utilize the amplification channels internal to the 972 for 6 Channels over 3 Zones. All creative input appreciated.
Just so you know,the R-972 only uses a single DAC chip, the Cirrus CS4382A.I believe it's the same one used on the multichannel output of the Oppo BDP-83.It's performance isn't bad but the analog section after the DAC in the R-972 isn't that great.
post #475 of 944 Old 08-21-12, 05:39 PM
Shackster

Now contemplating a rather large change. I am separated from my manual but seem to recall some kind of
Direct to amp Analog Input or something along those lines or does memory fail me?

That is indeed info of interest & I will switch to an converter w DAC. Thanks.

Last edited by Damon54; 08-21-12 at 08:03 PM.
post #476 of 944 Old 08-22-12, 12:37 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Other than the weird crossover issue, the unit has been pretty good.

The Trinnov seems to be working, as I am not getting buzz or distortion from my small mains, but the sound and low bass appears to be even throughout the room (must be coming from my larger surrounds).

My mic is out for calibration, but once I get it back, I'll run some pink noise through each speaker and see just what kind of shaping I'm getting from the Trinnov.

Can't complain yet. It's sounded pretty good. once I get my sub built, I'll re-cal and see how it does.
post #477 of 944 Old 08-22-12, 04:53 PM
Senior Shackster

D

Quote:
Now contemplating a rather large change. I am separated from my manual but seem to recall some kind of
Direct to amp Analog Input or something along those lines or does memory fail me?

That is indeed info of interest & I will switch to an converter w DAC. Thanks.
The unit does have 7.1 analog input.However there is no ADC involved which means you would not be able to use Trinnov with the 7.1 inputs only the analog 2 ch inputs.I personally wouldn't use the analog inputs at all if I could help it.This is one of the areas where shortcuts were taken in the design.
post #478 of 944 Old 08-22-12, 05:01 PM
Shackster

Now your loosing me, you don't like the DAC but you really hate the analog. Just how are you getting a source into yours?
post #479 of 944 Old 08-23-12, 05:00 PM
Senior Shackster

D

Quote:
Now your loosing me, you don't like the DAC but you really hate the analog. Just how are you getting a source into yours?
I'm not hating on anything,just pointing out the areas of the design that are compromised.I was using only the digital inputs(HDMI,Coax/optical) into the R-972.What I was trying to point out is that the analog inputs are not the best choice but you may or may not notice the difference as much.I did compared to what I currently use.

As far as the DAC section goes,you mentioned using the R-972's 'DAC's',I was just commenting that is only has a single DAC chip instead of a separate DAC for each channel like some higher end designs use.There also has to be analog circuitry after the DAC to output to the internal amps or to the pre-amp outputs.This is also an area where compromises were made.The analog section basically dictates how much of the overall performance you will actually get from the DAC.The Cirrus CS4382A DAC chip in the R-972 gets a real world equivalent dynamic range of at least 17 bits.The actual measured S/N ratio of the R-972 equates to a little more than 15.5 bits.That's due to the compromises made in the analog section by Sherwood.

I thought the R-972 had a good overall sound quality and Trinnov re-mapping did make a difference on my system,but it lacked dynamics,lower level detail,bass weight/impact and it had a much higher noise floor than what I'm used to having,which is mostly due to the analog section after and before the digital section of the unit.The digital section is actually pretty good from measurements and reviews of the unit.
post #480 of 944 Old 08-23-12, 05:27 PM
Shackster

I appreciate the help.
This setup is going in the home of a decidedly non Audiophile type. The main goal here is ease of use & control via his IPad.

New plan is Pioneer Elite N-50 into the 972. To many other "moving parts" & unproven apps. with my first proposed setup. Shame that Sherwood did not do a better job with their design cause there is no reason this shouldn't be a highly competent system.