Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 49 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #481 of 944 Old 08-24-12, 05:22 PM
Senior Shackster

D

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Indeed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 944 Old 09-26-12, 08:33 AM
Shackster

In a receiver dilemma. My trusty Onkyo 805 which has served me well for 5 years has developed HDMI issues. Now only have 1 good HDMI input on that receiver. I've tried recapping the board to no avail. This is for my projector setup, so I really need the extra HDMI inputs since I only have one long Redmere cable feeding it. In reality, my mount downtube probably doesn't have room for any more cables.

So, I've been eying the Sherwood R972 along with some of the refurb Denon offerings at AC4L. I am specifically comparing to the 4310ci.

Anyone here have direct experience with both? I'm afraid with either of those choices I will notice the difference in power compared to the beasty old Onkyo. I am very intrigued by the Trinnov features. I haven't read one complaint about the sound of Trinnov, mostly just quirks with the Sherwood. The Denon may be easier to use, and I'm used to just having the standard Audyssey XT room correction, but I know that Trinnov could improve things.

I guess one real concern is the video upconversion in the Sherwood. Has anyone successfully used the component to HDMI? I read some early criticisms, but I wasn't sure if they were corrected with firmware updates. We are looking at getting a Wii for the kids and I'd like to have the option of using it on this system (even though it will mostly be used on a direct view LCD).

I'm pretty sure the Denon would win in a comparison of how it handles the video side of things. The denon has network features, but I honestly don't need any of them since I have other streaming devices.

Decisions...
post #483 of 944 Old 09-26-12, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

The audio side of the 972 is great, Trinnov does a great job no questions asked. As far as video I havent used component but it upconverts SD video really nicely through HDMI my only grip is the implementation of the HQV Raon processor it has almost no adjustments like you get with the higher end Onkyos
The Denon wont have the HQV chip either so it wont do as good a job.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #484 of 944 Old 09-26-12, 10:22 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I had a Denon 4311 which I eventually replaced with a Onkyo 5508 and was very happy with the change for over a year. I decided to pick up a Sherwood 972 as I was intrigued by Trinnov and after a couple of months of comparison I sold the 5508 and kept the 972. The system the 5508 and 972 is in is only used about once a week for movies only, if it was used everyday then I might have kept the 5508 instead. The 972 has too many quirks if I had to use it everyday but in a simple system it has been fine for me.

I really do prefer Trinnov over XT32 as it envelops you in a bubble of sound which is incredible. XT32 is probably a better EQ as it does a much better job on my speakers and subs but it lacks Spatial Re-mapping which is Trinnov's magic.

As far as up-conversion on the 972 I always bypass the scaler as it is useless IMO. It will still up-convert with the scaler off, I have my SMS-1 connected to it via s-video. Sometimes when I select the SMS-1 input I get no video, I then have to select another input then go back to the SMS-1 input to get video again. It is just little quirks like that which might drive some people crazy over time, not a receiver for someone who doesn't have patience.

I have had my 972 for awhile though and have no plans to get rid of it, I really like the sound for movies. I will admit that I did like the Onkyo 5508 for music more than the 972 though.
post #485 of 944 Old 09-26-12, 10:28 AM
Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
The audio side of the 972 is great, Trinnov does a great job no questions asked. As far as video I havent used component but it upconverts SD video really nicely through HDMI my only grip is the implementation of the HQV Raon processor it has almost no adjustments like you get with the higher end Onkyos
The Denon wont have the HQV chip either so it wont do as good a job.
Actually, the Denon 4310 has the ABT-2010 chip, which most will agree, is every bit as good as the ReonVX. The ABT chips are what made the Oppo DV983 and BDP83 so good. The Denon does a pretty good job of implementing the ABT chip as well and there aren't many complaints about the Denon except for the NIC failing.
post #486 of 944 Old 09-26-12, 10:35 AM
Shackster

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I had a Denon 4311 which I eventually replaced with a Onkyo 5508 and was very happy with the change for over a year. I decided to pick up a Sherwood 972 as I was intrigued by Trinnov and after a couple of months of comparison I sold the 5508 and kept the 972. The system the 5508 and 972 is in is only used about once a week for movies only, if it was used everyday then I might have kept the 5508 instead. The 972 has too many quirks if I had to use it everyday but in a simple system it has been fine for me.

I really do prefer Trinnov over XT32 as it envelops you in a bubble of sound which is incredible. XT32 is probably a better EQ as it does a much better job on my speakers and subs but it lacks Spatial Re-mapping which is Trinnov's magic.

As far as up-conversion on the 972 I always bypass the scaler as it is useless IMO. It will still up-convert with the scaler off, I have my SMS-1 connected to it via s-video. Sometimes when I select the SMS-1 input I get no video, I then have to select another input then go back to the SMS-1 input to get video again. It is just little quirks like that which might drive some people crazy over time, not a receiver for someone who doesn't have patience.

I have had my 972 for awhile though and have no plans to get rid of it, I really like the sound for movies. I will admit that I did like the Onkyo 5508 for music more than the 972 though.
Thanks for the input. This will also be in a basement theater setup. It will probably get more use than just once a week as I like to watch sports down there as well and my wife will put things on for the kids to watch. I don't mind having to deal with a few quirks, but my wife will go nuts if everything doesn't work like its supposed to. If it doesn't come on and show an image with one push of a Harmony button, I'll be getting angry irrational calls at work.
post #487 of 944 Old 09-26-12, 11:43 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
billbillw wrote: View Post
Thanks for the input. This will also be in a basement theater setup. It will probably get more use than just once a week as I like to watch sports down there as well and my wife will put things on for the kids to watch. I don't mind having to deal with a few quirks, but my wife will go nuts if everything doesn't work like its supposed to. If it doesn't come on and show an image with one push of a Harmony button, I'll be getting angry irrational calls at work.
That is were you might run into trouble, the 972 is one of the least user friendly receivers due to the quirks.
post #488 of 944 Old 09-26-12, 12:04 PM
Shackster

Are you gents using the 972 internal amps or external amps. And if you use the video source direct do you avoid many of the quirks?
post #489 of 944 Old 09-26-12, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Im using my internal amps and haven't had any issues driving my Mission 765s, They are 4ohm 93db efficient.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #490 of 944 Old 09-26-12, 12:39 PM
Shackster

Of course, when I was talking to the salesman at AC4L this morning, he tried to steer me in several different directions. He was pushing the Marantz 7005, but I have a problem with an AV receiver that is supposed to be near flagship, but only weighs 29lbs.

Lets see, I've had a Denon 4802 that came in at 45lbs then the Onkyo 805 which is 51lbs and now I'm gonna trust something the weighs 20lbs less to drive my system? Don't think so.