Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 944 Old 02-25-12, 05:46 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 impressions

Yes, Tony, mine is the same. The only thing I can think of is a removeable top to allow better access to clean out the dust?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 944 Old 02-25-12, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Nope, already looked closely. it is solid crate all the way through underneath it just like the rest of the top

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #43 of 944 Old 02-25-12, 06:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I too have that Performance Panel at the top left of the Cover. I do not think there has been a Professional Review where they have not questioned the reason for it. However, for some reason, mine does not seem as prominent. It well could be from the angle of your picture.

Also, I personally purchased the 972 to satiate my curiosity about Trinnov. I was inches away from getting one several years ago, but there were too many issues. To S/N's credit, they really did fix the major issues and the reliability has been excellent. I have followed this AVR for years and have never read of an HDMI Board Failure or other major issue. What is awesome is that thanks to these AVR's being A-Stock, the 3 Year Warranty applies.
Even better that Amazon is still selling the 972 for $1200.
Cheers,
J

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #44 of 944 Old 02-26-12, 11:59 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

$30,000? Where did you see that at? The Trinnov ST2-HiFi loudspeaker/room optimizer cost $6,200. What is included in the receiver is not the full version that cost $6,200... it is a valued down version.

I may have to pick up one of these just so I can do some comparisons, although with its inability to handle multiple subs like Audyssey does with XT32 and Sub HT EQ, I have a hard time believing it can do as well in the low end.

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #45 of 944 Old 02-26-12, 12:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
All of the Professional Reviews said that the standalone Trinnov cost $13,000. Not once did I see $30,000 being mentioned. However, $13,000 was mentioned prominently. In my "I Got a New Toy" Thread, there are multiple links on the first post. It could be that the Processor price has come down...
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
post #46 of 944 Old 02-26-12, 01:45 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Maybe there are different versions, but I believe the standalone unit that most end-users would purchase is the one in the Stereophile review, which is the Trinnov ST2-HiFi loudspeaker/room optimizer. It cost $6,200 as of April 2011.

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #47 of 944 Old 02-26-12, 02:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I am thinking that is a new release. It makes sense as the Sherwood/Newcastle has remained the only HT Component to offer it and it is no spring chicken, It also makes sense as the write up seems to also infer that it is a new product as well meant for the HT Market as opposed to Professional Applications.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
post #48 of 944 Old 02-26-12, 02:40 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Maybe there are different versions, but I believe the standalone unit that most end-users would purchase is the one in the Stereophile review, which is the Trinnov ST2-HiFi loudspeaker/room optimizer. It cost $6,200 as of April 2011.
Not a review but a show report.

Kal Rubinson
post #49 of 944 Old 02-26-12, 03:04 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
Not a review but a show report.
Thank you for the clarification.

I noticed in your "review" you mention the $13,000 "professional" version.

You are familiar with both, how would you compare XT32 vs. the R-972 Trinnov?

post #50 of 944 Old 02-26-12, 03:08 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Kal... you also mentioned the two new EQ curves offering low-frequency increases of +3dB or +6dB. Do you (or any of you that have recently purchased this receiver) know if these curves are now included or can still be acquired?