Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

230K views 950 replies 79 participants last post by  Linkage2010 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I got my R-972 today from accessories4less (that shipped to me from Florida to Edmonton Canada in just 2 days!) and had an hour to hook it up and play with it just a little.
First impressions are is that it was probably one of the best investments I could have made :)

Out of the box this receiver is huge! the weight is about 45lbs although Ive red conflicting reports that it weighs as much as 60lbs. No matter how you look at it its a beast for size and covers the top shelf of my AV rack completely and its very tall for a receiver.
I hooked all my gear up to it and the main speakers (I plan only using this as a two channel setup) I then powered it up and it came to life without any issues (First sigh of releaf given the distance it traveled). Without even having time to do any of the settings or even running Trinnov I played my iPod and could not believe the clarity of the sound, It brought my Missions to life it seems. they were clean and like my EV sentrys downstairs sounded much more dynamic and the separation was outstanding!

Im going to spend some more time playing tomorrow but for now I am thrilled by what its done even without any room eq applied :T

To check the version of your R-972 firmware:
hold Display and Enter/Memo

To reset the R-972 to factory settings:
Once in Standby Mode, press and hold down the STANDBY & MEMO/ENTER buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds. This will reset the unit and it will turn on automatically. If the reset was successful, you should notice that the receiver powers up at 87.5 FM . If not, repeat the reset process.

Information on installing the bass boost Hex files here

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 impressions

Tony,
I am so glad you are pleased with the 972. The longer I have it, the more I am convinced it is one the greatest values for an AVR I have ever come across and truly feel blessed to have one.
Cheers,
J

#303 ·

Tony,
I am so glad you are pleased with the 972. The longer I have it, the more I am convinced it is one the greatest values for an AVR I have ever come across and truly feel blessed to have one.
Cheers,
J
J,

So you replaced your 3008 with the 972?

#3 ·

That is great to hear Tony! I am having delusions of grandeur that mine will arive tomorrow. One downside, I have to hook it up to my Acoutimass 10 for now...... :sob:

On the plus side, the boys and I went down and watched Batman Begins tonight - oh wow I can't wait to finish my room and get that equipment going in a sealed room.....

#4 ·

Thanks Jack and Joe. I am really impressed with it so far. I am again in the mindset that spending the money on a good quality receiver "and" speakers not just speakers is a must in order to really get the sound that the recording artists intended you to hear. I do not believe that a pre-pro is of any real value any more when you can get a unit like this for $600 brand new!

#6 ·

Im not really sure there would be much difference between the two as the 809 is not at all a low end receiver either. My 805 is not going anywhere either, I just believe that the Marantz 6005 that I was using was not in the same liege but it was a step up from the Yamaha RXV995 that I used before it .

#7 ·

Joe,
I would list the Acoustimass on Craigslist tonight or tomorrow. To the unwashed masses, Bose holds a great amount of cachet. Thanks to this, you should be able to get a decent return of your investment to allocate towards vastly superior Speakers. I am quite confident we could help you get a vastly better Speaker Array for not much more than the proceeds from selling the Bose. I would guess you could even sell them to a friend or family member.]JJ

#10 ·

Joe,
I would list the Acoustimass on Craigslist tonight or tomorrow. To the unwashed masses, Bose holds a great amount of cachet. Thanks to this, you should be able to get a decent return of your investment to allocate towards vastly superior Speakers. I am quite confident we could help you get a vastly better Speaker Array for not much more than the proceeds from selling the Bose. I would guess you could even sell them to a friend or family member.]JJ
I have seen several times where you have been able to suggest a very good system for very reasonable cost - challenge accepted! I think I will package my 604 and the Bose system and see if I can move them.....

#8 ·

Well, I ordered this thing yesterday afternoon. I've been lusting after the Marantz SR7005, but I know that at $1300, I would never really be able to afford one. I really can't afford the 972 either, but simply could not resist the opportunity. I already own a couple other Sherwood Newcastle receivers (771 & 772) for bedroom and wifey's living room system; I find them to be a bit odd, but they work). I'm buying the R972 to replace my Marantz SR7300 in the main veiwing room. Does anyone know if the 972 will passthru an HDMI signal to my TV when power is off?

Jim

#15 ·

Well, I ordered this thing yesterday afternoon. I've been lusting after the Marantz SR7005, but I know that at $1300, I would never really be able to afford one. I really can't afford the 972 either, but simply could not resist the opportunity. I already own a couple other Sherwood Newcastle receivers (771 & 772) for bedroom and wifey's living room system; I find them to be a bit odd, but they work). I'm buying the R972 to replace my Marantz SR7300 in the main veiwing room. Does anyone know if the 972 will passthru an HDMI signal to my TV when power is off?

Jim
Jim,
The 972 does not offer HDMI CEC Control so it does not offer Passthrough when the AVR is turned off. You could always run Components to the TV and HDMI to the AVR and just switch TV Inputs when/if you want to watch TV with your HT off.
Cheers,
JJ

#9 ·

Hi Jim, The 972 will easily blow the doors off the Marantz 7005 so you made a very good choice. I dont have a HDMI capable display hooked up to my 972 so I can not confirm if it will pass HDMI video when off however I will see if it passes Component (when I get home tonight) as thats what I use, chances is if it does it will also pass HDMI

#12 ·

Hi Jim, The 972 will easily blow the doors off the Marantz 7005 so you made a very good choice. I dont have a HDMI capable display hooked up to my 972 so I can not confirm if it will pass HDMI video when off however I will see if it passes Component (when I get home tonight) as thats what I use, chances is if it does it will also pass HDMI
Thanks for the reply. It would be nice if you would check this out for me. It wouldn't be a disaster if it didn't pass the HDMI through, it's just that sometimes I don't listen to the TV with the system on. My other concern is about how deep the chassis is: some 19"+. If so, I'm gonna have to figure out how my equipment stand is gonna work.

Jim

#11 ·

Joe, I fully agree with Jacks assessment, you would be doing the 972 a miss justice hooking it up to the Bose speakers LOL JK
Hope you get yours today, I am looking forward to hearing yours and others opinions on it :) But out of the box its an amazing unit.

#17 ·

Regarding the dimensions, the Sherwood web site lists the depth as 17-7/8", so I'm thinking the 19.875" depth must be inclusive of not only the chassis, but also includes the speaker posts in back and the front knobs. If that is the case (can one of you owners verify this theory), then I'm OK and the shelf I want to use.

Jim

#18 ·

I just measured mine and its 20" if you include the power cord as its very ridged and sticks out at least that much before I would even dare to try to bend it. The volume and selector knob stick out of the front another 3/4 of an inch on the front.

#23 · (Edited)

I just measured mine and its 20" if you include the power cord as its very ridged and sticks out at least that much before I would even dare to try to bend it. The volume and selector knob stick out of the front another 3/4 of an inch on the front.
What does the actual chassis box measure, front to back? Looks like mine shipped and is due to arrive on the 29th.

It will also be interesting to find out if Sherwood has fixed some of the odd quirks that are present in my other Sherwood R771 & R772 receivers (one powers a bedroom system; the other my wife's living room system w/47" LG). When switching between sources, there is the screwy flashing and clicking as the receiver switches and locks on. The manuals are terrible. The other thing that throws me is SN's odd way of organizing the various source settings on the front panel (into video and audio); much different than Marantz.

I wonder if they sold out of them. On their eBay posting, it said they were down to one unit.

Jim

#20 ·

LOL, Im just waiting till I put my two daughters to bed before I do some more tinkering and listening. I will not run the receivers Trinnov till tomorrow morning some time as I dont want to do it if they are sleeping :)
I take it your receiver did not arrive today?

#21 ·

No, it did not. All in all, a rather frustrating day as I am struggling with the screen wall design at the moment. Hope to see it tomorrow!

By the way, I did contact several people about an available Acoustimass 10 system. :bigsmile: Let's hope someone is interested!

#22 ·

Thats good you have interest in your Bose speakers. I hope the receiver arrives soon.

#24 ·

Wow - who knew Fed Ex delivered at 8:30AM on a Saturday! The Sherwood is here - too bad I have basketball games for the boys most of the day and really will not get a chance to do anything with it until Monday.

Boy, is it a heavy box! :bigsmile:

#26 ·

Wow - who knew Fed Ex delivered at 8:30AM on a Saturday! The Sherwood is here - too bad I have basketball games for the boys most of the day and really will not get a chance to do anything with it until Monday.

Boy, is it a heavy box! :bigsmile:
Oh, this is going to be a hard day to get through knowing it sitting at home.

#28 ·

Accessories4less says HDMI1.4 upgraded however I wonder if you are correct, The firmware is the "latest available" Ive got my receiver in the rack so i dont want to move it to see the date but so far I haven't had any of the strange issues that many older units have displayed.

#29 ·

Accessories4less says HDMI1.4 upgraded however I wonder if you are correct, The firmware is the "latest available" Ive got my receiver in the rack so i dont want to move it to see the date but so far I haven't had any of the strange issues that many older units have displayed.
Well, it DOES say HDMI 1.4 on the A4L web site.

Jim

#30 ·

I don't think its HDMI 1.4 but the sales rep for A4L I e-mailed last weekend said that it can pass 3D & come with latest firmware 1.47v. Is there a way to check firmware in the unit? Jeff Hipps who used to work for Sherwood stated in AVSForum thread that the unit can pass 3D if the videoprocessor is set in bypass mode. I am guessing that it doesn't to HDMI CEC & ARC like true HDMI 1.4 units but only 3D passthrough.

#31 ·

Well, I did the first run through of Trinnov and I am really impressed :)
I spent last night building some speaker cables and I Bi-Amped my speakers. Its sounds great :clap:
Trinnov nailed my speaker capabilities bang on and set the distance correctly, now I have to play with some of the advanced settings that Trinnov allows......but first I need to fold laundry LOL

#32 ·

Hello,
I do not think calling it HDMI 1.4 is accurate. However, it can Passthrough 3D. So it is somewhat similar to the PS3. 3D was the last upgrade S/N did for the 972.
Cheers,
JJ

#34 ·

LOL, I will see when I can find time this weekend to do it. I haven't used REW in about 3 years so Im a bit rusty :hide:
I can say that I am very happy with the results compared to what Auddyssey did in the Marantz.

#35 ·
tonyvdb said:
LOL, I will see when I can find time this weekend to do it. I haven't used REW in about 3 years so Im a bit rusty :hide:
I can say that I am very happy with the results compared to what Auddyssey did in the Marantz.
Just scanning through the thread hear fellas. Is the consensus that Trinnov is a step up from Audyssey?

#36 ·

Is the consensus that Trinnov is a step up from Audyssey?
I think in some ways yes due to its ability to actually measure the room in 3D Audyssey XT And XT32 are still very good but anything less Trinnov is a huge step up.

#37 ·
tonyvdb said:
I think in some ways yes due to its ability to actually measure the room in 3D Audyssey XT And XT32 are still very good but anything less Trinnov is a huge step up.
It seems this is the first AVR that has offered Trinnov at a price affordable to the average consumer. Pretty amazing technology and that mic looks to be from another planet. :)

#38 · (Edited)

Trinnov was only available in a stand alone unit that sold for $13,000 so getting it in an AVR for $600 is more than a deal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.