Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 53 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #521 of 944 Old 01-28-13, 10:39 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

I only have two inputs (TV and BluRay) and they were both Position 1, LVL+DLY, Cinema

I do have a weird setup that I don't have a center or sub yet (still building them), but the L/R and four surrounds (ceiling, tweeters aimed at couch) are installed. With Trinnov off, I get a good test signal in all of them.

I'll re-mic it tomorrow and put a priority on getting the sub and center built. My odd setup might be confusing the algorithms.

With Trinnov off, I really miss the front sound-stage. It balanced my front speakers (tonally) very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #522 of 944 Old 01-28-13, 10:39 PM
Shackster

Quote:
eyecatcher127 wrote: View Post
The purchase was culminated from all the info gathered from many sources. I've known about trinnov for over 2 years. I've read all the articles on the 972 when they were first published. I tend to do a lot of research. The recent information alludes that the latest firmware was made available resolving issues. I haven't be able to find any sources regarding the details of the firmware updates. No one as provided that info. My point is the latest firmware still seems to be from 2010 and the unit is still not as polished as an $1800 AVR should be. Even at $599 It I wasn't impressed overall to keep it. I simply feel that if they could resolve a few minor issues in another update, this could be an amazing avr. However I"m doubtful any other updates will be made available.

I do agree that the unit has probably the best room eq I've experienced. I've setup and used all the versions of audyssey, mccac and ypao. The xt32 does still see to to the best job in the sub range. It is nice to see that trinnov does observer and equalize the sub output and it did a respectful job.

The unit also does apear to use a similar version of Reon however, the implementation is not the same as it did not perform nor look as good. It could be the specific revision of the chipset or again firmware. If it was truly identical and I did not have video issues, I would have kept the unit.

I'm not bashing this unit. It does have tremendous value and I hope it works out for everyone else. You asked why so, I'm just providing my perspective. Thats all. This unit is all about trinnov and I'm just disappointed that the reon in my 3008 works perfect and the 972 does not. Again it could be defective or could use some more refinement. Thats the bottom line and why the unit was returned. There is really nothing to debate about.
Video: Although I have been fortunate enough to have experienced the same video resolution going through the R-972 vs plugging my PS3 directly into my TV, I think this is why units like the Oppo BDP-103 are so important in that they are able to send video processing directly to your display and let your processor only decode audio.
post #523 of 944 Old 01-28-13, 10:50 PM
Shackster

Quote:
typ44q wrote: View Post
Does anyone know if the owners manual is available online? I would like to read through it before I get the receiver but it looks like Sherwood totally dropped support for this thing including the manual
Also are there any firmware updates available for this receiver?
Online owner's manual:

http://www.prillaman.net/sn2007avr/R...ENG_090225.pdf
post #524 of 944 Old 01-29-13, 02:23 AM
mdp
Shackster

Quote:
Anthony wrote: View Post
That makes sense. Mine is off to the side a bit, so I'm hitting the sensor at about a 15 to 20 degree angle.

I'll try angling the receiver a little bit towards the couch and see if it makes things more reliable.

Just found another nit: I watched a movie I was pretty familiar with and noticed nothing was coming out of my surrounds. I put in an old Avia disc and sure enough, only the fronts came through. Funny thing is, I toyed around with some settings and surround right (5.1) came through at the front left. Weird.

The distances and angles measured right to every speaker in Trinnov. I don't have a way to test a full 7.1, but I seem to remember hearing surround activity in the past. I'll run the Trinnov again tomorrow and see if I can get it remapped.
It happened to me as well when I used Dolby headphone and had turned off the speakers. Afterwards, I turned the unit off. Next day, it was playing in stereo mode. Had to turn off the speakers and back on again.
post #525 of 944 Old 01-29-13, 08:31 AM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

The thing is, it still shows that it is playing in Trinnov Surround mode.

I disabled Trinnov and this morning my wife calls and says the surround speakers are playing, but nothing from the fronts. I had her put it in regular Stereo mode and I'll look at it again tonight. Weird.
post #526 of 944 Old 01-29-13, 12:42 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
I do have a weird setup that I don't have a center or sub yet (still building them), but the L/R and four surrounds (ceiling, tweeters aimed at couch) are installed. With Trinnov off, I get a good test signal in all of them.

I'll re-mic it tomorrow and put a priority on getting the sub and center built. My odd setup might be confusing the algorithms.

With Trinnov off, I really miss the front sound-stage. It balanced my front speakers (tonally) very well.
I had read on another forum that there can be a bug when only running a 4.0 or 4.1 set-up in that it confuses Trinnov. If I remember correctly the Trinnov rep suggested to add a single back surround just temporarily for the Trinnov calibration then remove it after and the calibration should be good.
I am running a 4.1 channel config in my second system and it sounds fine to me, maybe I got lucky?

With Trinnov on my other system which is 7.1 I did run some test signals with the Disney Wow disc and it really shows you how Trinnov actually works. When playing a left surround signal my back surrounds would also put out noise but when in the MLP it sounds like it is just that channel. This happens with a lot of other channels as well as it seems Trinnov uses any channel it feels necessary to achieve the 3D spatial re-mapping. I found it very interesting to try as I really didn't grasp how Trinnov worked but after that I had a little better understanding.
post #527 of 944 Old 01-29-13, 01:22 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

I think I remember that discussion now, because I was researching a 4.1 setup. Now I have a 6.0 setup with no center or sub with fronts that aren't full range.

I'll prioritize building the sub first, just to see if that unconfuses it.
post #528 of 944 Old 01-29-13, 01:38 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I use a Harmony remote with the RF repeater upstairs and sometimes it fails to turn off the 972. I also use a Harmony downstairs and if I am turning on the system on anything other than the last input it was on it will miss the command for the correct input 70% of the time. I can fix the last issue by telling the Harmony to delay the input command a few more seconds but haven't got around to it yet. I have never had either one not turn on though that I recall.
I have the exact same problem with mine, one of these days I will get around to setting a delay.

Can you tell a harmony remote the order you want the signals sent? If you can tell it Receiver 1st then say TV, Cable box etc then go back to the receiver last for the input change you might be able to get everything to work without having to introduce a delay.
post #529 of 944 Old 01-29-13, 01:41 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
I think I remember that discussion now, because I was researching a 4.1 setup. Now I have a 6.0 setup with no center or sub with fronts that aren't full range.

I'll prioritize building the sub first, just to see if that unconfuses it.
With a 6.0 set-up you should be good, at least that's what I figured based on what the Trinnov rep said.
post #530 of 944 Old 01-29-13, 01:45 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
typ44q wrote: View Post
I have the exact same problem with mine, one of these days I will get around to setting a delay.

Can you tell a harmony remote the order you want the signals sent? If you can tell it Receiver 1st then say TV, Cable box etc then go back to the receiver last for the input change you might be able to get everything to work without having to introduce a delay.
You can customize the macros Harmony uses but in my case I only have 3 items and they all seem to turn on very close together. The 972 just takes a few seconds to accept commands once it is turned on, it makes an audible click when it is ready. I noticed that the click coincides with the final command sent from the Harmony so that is why it doesn't take most times. I would think an added second or 2 for the final command would easily correct that and with the Harmony software it is easy to accomplish.