Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 54 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #531 of 944 Old 01-29-13, 12:50 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Re: remote I'll try reordering the macro to see if that fixes it

Re: sub/center I just had an idea. I'm going to run an old full range speaker as my sub in the corner with my external amp and see if that helps. Wont' go as deep as a sub (or loud), but should allow Trinnov to find another data point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #532 of 944 Old 01-29-13, 12:56 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
You can customize the macros Harmony uses but in my case I only have 3 items and they all seem to turn on very close together. The 972 just takes a few seconds to accept commands once it is turned on, it makes an audible click when it is ready. I noticed that the click coincides with the final command sent from the Harmony so that is why it doesn't take most times. I would think an added second or 2 for the final command would easily correct that and with the Harmony software it is easy to accomplish.
I also only have three items turning on at a time. I will play around with it and see what I can get to work but I think you are right, it will probably need more time than what rearranging the commands will give you.
post #533 of 944 Old 01-29-13, 01:45 PM
mdp
Shackster

You can always put a delay or After command in the macro. That's how I did it for switching inputs.

post #534 of 944 Old 01-29-13, 07:26 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

So I added an old speaker as a subwoofer and reran trinnov.

First, sad face, my old NHT SA-2 subwoofer amp is probably dead. Every time it got signal it would pop and huff. You could hear the pink noise in the background, but it was obvious something was wrong. I swapped in another amp (an old monoblock tube amp) and it worked fine, so obviously the sub amp. Guess I'm shopping on Parts Express tonight.

After doing the measurements and such, the results are much better. I can hear it working the surrounds much better and the autoroute or 2D remap works really well. Good center image, music and effects can be heard in the surrounds but not localized.

So I guess the Trinnov was having trouble with my small fronts but no sub and lack of center. Still no center, but the EQ part of it seems to work now.
post #535 of 944 Old 01-30-13, 01:13 AM

Hi,

I recently acquired an R-972 and was wondering if anyone on this list has put together a FAQ? I'm sure there is a ton of info in this thread, but I have to admit it is too long for me to bother with. Or is that what I have to do?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
post #536 of 944 Old 01-30-13, 06:39 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

There is not one Chris. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them up here. I am certain one of us has probably encountered it and can help out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #537 of 944 Old 01-31-13, 02:39 PM
Shackster

My System

All

I have an Arcam AVR-300 with a bad DSP board. I need to make a decision on my next receiver. I'm almost 97% positive I will order the Newcastle R972 but I've been debating about whether or not the Yamaha Aventage line or new Pioneer Elite's could match the R972.

Now I can get out to hear these main stream units but I don't have any option for the Newcastle unit.

I plan to use Blue Jeans Cables HDMI cables with the unit.

Does anyone have any suggestion why I would want to stay away from the Sherwood unit?

Anyone ever compare this unit to the others?

I have a $ limit of around $600 so this is why i'm leaning to the AC4L deal.

Thanks.

Jerry
post #538 of 944 Old 01-31-13, 02:48 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Hi there and welcome to the Shack.

The simple answer is:
If you like tweaking and playing around with your gear and enjoying the sound and video afterwards, then this is a good unit.
If you like to plug things in and have them work flawlessly out of the box, then this is not the unit for you.

In your price range there should also be some refurb Marantz and Onkyo units that are also very good.
post #539 of 944 Old 01-31-13, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Well Trinnov is just amazing and does a great job with even the toughest rooms however the 972 is a bit quirky and needs a little patience. If your comparing the 972 to receivers that cost three times as much its too good a deal to pass up.
If your looking for something thats going to preform better and give you little to no issues. The Onkyo 818 from Accessories4less is probably one of the best deal going.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #540 of 944 Old 01-31-13, 04:16 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

As the others have stated the R-972 is the receiver for those that have patience. As far as the Yamaha or Pioneer Elite matching the R-972 I will say no they can't as no other receiver in this price category has the Trinnov EQ.

The ONLY reason to buy the R-972 is for the Trinnov EQ IMHO, without that I would not even bother with it.