Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 60 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #591 of 944 Old 02-24-13, 02:41 PM
Shackster
cconklin1

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
When you do a reset the receiver goes back to it's original settings so this will erase any previous calibrations and remove any bass target files you may have uploaded. Basically a reset will put the 972 back to it's original state that it came in when new.

What your planning on doing sounds interesting, I would definitely like to hear how it works out for you.
I think this is not correct. I am pretty sure the bass file gets stored in the non resettable part of the software...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #592 of 944 Old 02-24-13, 04:47 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
I do a factory reset everytime I do a new Trinnov calibration. After the calibration is done I check my sub levels with the sms1 then load the 6db bass file and recheck my sub levels and they always increase. With both of my 972's I have to reload the bass files each time I reset the receiver.

I should also mention that I check the sub levels to make sure they increase before and after I load a bass file. The reason for this is it does not always load even though it says it is finished. NEVER reset the unit after loading the bass file as not only will you lose the bass file but your calibration as well and all your settings. I usually just put the 972 into standby, remove the usb drive and turn it back on and verify the 6db bass file was loaded. This is one of the quirks with the 972, it does not always load the bass file.

Edit: typing fast on my phone so excuse any typo's

BeeMan458 wrote:

It's easier for you to prove I'm crazy than it is for me to prove I'm not.
post #593 of 944 Old 02-24-13, 05:25 PM
Shackster
cconklin1

Quote:
I do a factory reset everytime I do a new Trinnov calibration. After the calibration is done I check my sub levels with the sms1 then load the 6db bass file and recheck my sub levels and they always increase. With both of my 972's I have to reload the bass files each time I reset the receiver.

I should also mention that I check the sub levels to make sure they increase before and after I load a bass file. The reason for this is it does not always load even though it says it is finished. NEVER reset the unit after loading the bass file as not only will you lose the bass file but your calibration as well and all your settings. I usually just put the 972 into standby, remove the usb drive and turn it back on and verify the 6db bass file was loaded. This is one of the quirks with the 972, it does not always load the bass file.

Edit: typing fast on my phone so excuse any typo's
Ok, but then I am really confused because the very next thing you are supposed to do AFTER loading the bass file IS DO A RESET!!! Ahhhhhhh this is starting to drive me nuts! Why would Sherwood say that?

post #594 of 944 Old 02-24-13, 05:54 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
The person who said to do a factory reset was mistaken. Was it written in this thread? If it was then someone should send that poster a pm so that they can edit the post to avoid more confusion.

BeeMan458 wrote:

It's easier for you to prove I'm crazy than it is for me to prove I'm not.
post #595 of 944 Old 02-24-13, 06:32 PM
Shackster

bguzman

My System

Quote:
The person who said to do a factory reset was mistaken. Was it written in this thread? If it was then someone should send that poster a pm so that they can edit the post to avoid more confusion.
It is on page seven.

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Its ok I can try and hopefully I dont cause trouble.

Please open the attached zip file and uncompress. Please copy all of the factory.hex files to USB drive root position. (ex. E:\factory.hex)
To update this firmware, turn ON the 972 and wait for relay click. Once you hear the relay click, change the input to USB. When NO DEVICE displayed, please insert the USB drive to the front USB slot.

Update will automatically start.

After finished, please reset the receiver by following the attached instruction.

To successfully reset, you need to start with the unit in the Standby Mode. To put
the unit in the standby mode simply press the standby button when the unit is On or unplug the
power cord from 120V AC and then plug it back in. Once in Standby Mode, press and hold
down the STANDBY & MEMO/ENTER buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds. This
will reset the unit and it will turn on automatically. If the reset was successful, you should notice
that the receiver powers up at 87.5 FM . If not, repeat the reset process

In Both Main HT Living Room HT
SIGHT
Mitsubishi ~ Samsung ~ Panasonic ~ Pioneer ~ Oppo ~ Marantz ~ Toshiba
SOUND
Polk ~ Klipsch ~ Sherwood/Newcastle ~ Pro-Ject ~ Def Tech ~ B&W ~ Klipsch ~ Infinity ~ Yamaha
post #596 of 944 Old 02-24-13, 09:01 PM
Shackster
cconklin1

ok, finally finished reading all sixty pages of this thread as well as the manual and the trinov notes.
heading down to do some tweaking!
top two best things I learned were using the different video inputs to save different trinov calculations and NOT to reset the receiver after loading the bass files..
post #597 of 944 Old 02-24-13, 09:22 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Trinnov does not have any features like Aydysseys dynamic volume or dynamic eq right?
post #598 of 944 Old 02-24-13, 10:08 PM
Shackster

bguzman

My System

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
Trinnov does not have any features like Aydysseys dynamic volume or dynamic eq right?
No, but it does have DRC/Night Mode and Cinema EQ.

SIGHT
SOUND
Polk ~ Klipsch ~ Sherwood/Newcastle ~ Pro-Ject ~ Def Tech ~ B&W ~ Klipsch ~ Infinity ~ Yamaha
post #599 of 944 Old 02-24-13, 10:12 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
bguzman wrote: View Post

No, but it does have DRC/Night Mode and Cinema EQ.
Not the same thing! With Audyssey as you lower the volume you don't lose the bass or dialog.
post #600 of 944 Old 02-24-13, 10:38 PM
Shackster

bguzman

My System

Why are you yelling? True Dynamic EQ is different, but Dynamic Volume is a form of DRC. Where did I say they where the same. "Take it down a notch Scotty"

SIGHT
SOUND