Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 63 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #621 of 944 Old 02-26-13, 07:19 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 1,633
My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
I don't understand you can't hear the surrounds unless you get near them. then what's the point shouldn't you be able to hear the surround without having to get near them?
That is not what I was trying to say.

When I am sitting in the main listening position it sounds like the tones are coming from the side speaker only. It is only when I get out of my seat and walk around that I can hear the back surrounds working as well to make the illusion that my side surround is higher than it actually is. I have my side surrounds a couple of feet lower than they should be but my back surrounds are mounted at the appropriate height so they help the side surrounds to sound as if they were also at the appropriate height. Trinnov's spatial re-mapping helps to make it sound as if all your speakers are mounted in there appropriate locations even if they are not which is the case for most of us.

What you have to understand is Trinnov measures the location of your speakers not only horizontally but vertically as well and if they are not in there proper position then Trinnov compensates for that when you engage the 3D re-mapping. Trinnov can explain this better than I can so if you google them you can read what the Spatial Re-mapping is all about.
sub_crazy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #622 of 944 Old 02-26-13, 07:24 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 1,633
My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
cconklin1 wrote: View Post
hmmmm, I may have some investigation to do. those of you who have rear surrounds, are they active when using a 5.1 HD source such as Dolby true-hd or DTS-MA? mine are not in use. I can walk up to them and they are definitely not outputting sound. I can also not engage any other sound field when Trinovv it's in use...
I will have to try it out and report back later. It could be that your surrounds are positioned correctly and Trinnov does not need to use your back surrounds to compensate?

Do you mean you only when playing TrueHD and DTS-MA that you cannot engage any other sound field like PLIIX? I don't think I have ever tried that so will have to try it out later as well. I know I can engage all the different effects when listening to CD's and SACD's, I personally like Neural for music, my favorite so far.
sub_crazy is offline  
post #623 of 944 Old 02-26-13, 07:52 PM
Elite Shackster
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 2,761
My System
Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post

That is not what I was trying to say.

When I am sitting in the main listening position it sounds like the tones are coming from the side speaker only. It is only when I get out of my seat and walk around that I can hear the back surrounds working as well to make the illusion that my side surround is higher than it actually is. I have my side surrounds a couple of feet lower than they should be but my back surrounds are mounted at the appropriate height so they help the side surrounds to sound as if they were also at the appropriate height. Trinnov's spatial re-mapping helps to make it sound as if all your speakers are mounted in there appropriate locations even if they are not which is the case for most of us.

What you have to understand is Trinnov measures the location of your speakers not only horizontally but vertically as well and if they are not in there proper position then Trinnov compensates for that when you engage the 3D re-mapping. Trinnov can explain this better than I can so if you google them you can read what the Spatial Re-mapping is all about.
Got it now thanks! How will it remap in ceiling speakers?
asere is offline  
 
post #624 of 944 Old 02-26-13, 08:07 PM
Shackster
cconklin1
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 60543
Posts: 78
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I will have to try it out and report back later. It could be that your surrounds are positioned correctly and Trinnov does not need to use your back surrounds to compensate?

Do you mean you only when playing TrueHD and DTS-MA that you cannot engage any other sound field like PLIIX? I don't think I have ever tried that so will have to try it out later as well. I know I can engage all the different effects when listening to CD's and SACD's, I personally like Neural for music, my favorite so far.
correct. I can not engage any other sound mode when playing dts-ma or Dolby truehd whether Trinnov is engaged or not. 5.1 soundtracks use only 5 speakers while 7.1 use all seven..
cconklin1 is offline  
post #625 of 944 Old 02-26-13, 08:35 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 1,633
My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
Got it now thanks! How will it remap in ceiling speakers?
I am only guessing that it would work better than any other EQ since no one else does Spatial re-mapping.
sub_crazy is offline  
post #626 of 944 Old 02-26-13, 08:41 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 1,633
My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
cconklin1 wrote: View Post
correct. I can not engage any other sound mode when playing dts-ma or Dolby truehd whether Trinnov is engaged or not. 5.1 soundtracks use only 5 speakers while 7.1 use all seven..
I just tried it out and in my set-up it outputs sound in the back surrounds with 5.1 DTS-MA and TrueHD soundtracks. I cannot engage any other surround format though, each time I try with the front panel surround mode selector it just says "Trinnov Engaged" or something like that. I will say that the sound that comes from my backs with 5.1 tracks is low in volume but I can get my ear right next to it and hear the sound.

You do have to make sacrifices with the 972 if you are expecting every bell and whistle. I am willing to put up with the quirks and flaws because the sound is so good, if not I would dump it in a heartbeat.
sub_crazy is offline  
post #627 of 944 Old 02-26-13, 08:46 PM
Shackster
cconklin1
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 60543
Posts: 78
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I just tried it out and in my set-up it outputs sound in the back surrounds with 5.1 DTS-MA and TrueHD soundtracks. I cannot engage any other surround format though, each time I try with the front panel surround mode selector it just says "Trinnov Engaged" or something like that. I will say that the sound that comes from my backs with 5.1 tracks is low in volume but I can get my ear right next to it and hear the sound.

You do have to make sacrifices with the 972 if you are expecting every bell and whistle. I am willing to put up with the quirks and flaws because the sound is so good, if not I would dump it in a heartbeat.
Hmm, maybe mine is outputting sound but it might be extremely low compared to the other speakers. I guess I will wait for my WOW disc and play some more this weekend. Thanks for checking on your system! I really like it so far and as long as I don't have to do another 39 calibrations I will be a happy guy! LOVE the way it lifts my center channel to the middle of my screen! That alone is almost enough for me to keep it!
cconklin1 is offline  
post #628 of 944 Old 02-27-13, 08:50 AM
Shackster
 
bguzman's Avatar
bguzman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 53
My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

My R-972 is in the house. Spent last night running Trinnov on my three speaker configurations. I am using a speaker selector to route the Surround Back/Multi to SB, FH, and FW speakers. By the time I had good calibrations for each set up it was to late to stretch out the receiver and see what Trinnov is all about. Tonight can't get here so enough.

In Both Main HT Living Room HT
SIGHT
Mitsubishi ~ Samsung ~ Panasonic ~ Pioneer ~ Oppo ~ Marantz ~ Toshiba
SOUND
Polk ~ Klipsch ~ Sherwood/Newcastle ~ Pro-Ject ~ Def Tech ~ B&W ~ Klipsch ~ Infinity ~ Yamaha
bguzman is offline  
post #629 of 944 Old 02-27-13, 10:32 AM
Shackster
cconklin1
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 60543
Posts: 78
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
bguzman wrote: View Post
My R-972 is in the house. Spent last night running Trinnov on my three speaker configurations. I am using a speaker selector to route the Surround Back/Multi to SB, FH, and FW speakers. By the time I had good calibrations for each set up it was to late to stretch out the receiver and see what Trinnov is all about. Tonight can't get here so enough.
let us know how you make out. I am curious to hear your results with all loudandthose speakers..
cconklin1 is offline  
post #630 of 944 Old 02-27-13, 11:39 AM
Elite Shackster
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 2,761
My System
Quote:
cconklin1 wrote: View Post

let us know how you make out. I am curious to hear your results with all loudandthose speakers..
No 4 k ready right?
asere is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
impressions , r972 , sherwood or newcastle

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome