Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 65 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #641 of 944 Old 02-27-13, 02:31 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 impressions

Quote:
Stereojeff wrote: View Post
As far as I know, the unit failed safety certification for top-panel temperature and the extra screen was added to lower the outer temperature to pass.

Jeff
Thats crazy if it is true, my Onkyo 805 gets MUCH hotter than my 972... much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #642 of 944 Old 02-27-13, 03:05 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post

Depends on the room layout IMO - I can tell you for certain that the 972 is by far the best AVR for my living room due to the vaulted ceiling and open floor plan. Trinnov has really made a huge difference with its 3D mapping.
I also have vaulted ceilings with in ceiling speakers in family room. The family room is open to the kitchen combined its 5100 cf. I currently have Audyssey but might benefit more if I get Trinnov.
post #643 of 944 Old 02-27-13, 03:49 PM
Shackster
cconklin1

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
I also have vaulted ceilings with in ceiling speakers in family room. The family room is open to the kitchen combined its 5100 cf. I currently have Audyssey but might benefit more if I get Trinnov.
totally depends on your speaker layout in the front.. if all three of your speakers areceiling mounted, then I doubt Trinnov will do much for you as it won't have any way of centering and bringing down the front sound field, at least that is how it was explained to me...

in my case my center channel speaker was below my projection screen but my front left and front right speakers were great in their position. Trinnov did a fantastic job of "lifting" the center channel and firmly anchoring it to the center of the screen...but it had the front left and front right to help with that...

Last edited by cconklin1; 02-27-13 at 07:38 PM. Reason: fix spelling..

post #644 of 944 Old 02-27-13, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
cconklin1 wrote: View Post
I am looking at you signature and thinking that I would swap receivers in those systems... I really think the 972 excels in the home theater domain...
the biggest issue for me was the fact the I really like the THX modes that come with my Onkyo 805 and I and very happy with how it sounds just as is so as the saying goes "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #645 of 944 Old 02-27-13, 04:51 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:

totally depends on your speaker layout in the front.. if all three of your speakers address ceiling mounted, then I doubt Trinnov will do much for you as it won't have any way of centering and bringing down the front soundfield, at least that is how out was explained to me...

in my case my center channel speaker was below my projection screen but my front left and front right speakers were great in . their position. Trinnov did a fantastic job of "lifting" the center channel and firmly anchoring it took the center of the screen...but it had the front left and front right to help with that...
the center in ceiling speaker is facing down flat on the flat part of the ceiling that is flat and the left and right are diagonal on the vaulted part of the ceiling.

Last edited by asere; 02-27-13 at 05:08 PM.
post #646 of 944 Old 02-28-13, 01:17 PM
Shackster

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I just tried it out and in my set-up it outputs sound in the back surrounds with 5.1 DTS-MA and TrueHD soundtracks. I cannot engage any other surround format though, each time I try with the front panel surround mode selector it just says "Trinnov Engaged" or something like that. I will say that the sound that comes from my backs with 5.1 tracks is low in volume but I can get my ear right next to it and hear the sound.

You do have to make sacrifices with the 972 if you are expecting every bell and whistle. I am willing to put up with the quirks and flaws because the sound is so good, if not I would dump it in a heartbeat.
Turn off "auto surround" in your input, and you can select sound modes.
post #647 of 944 Old 02-28-13, 01:21 PM
Shackster

Quote:
correct. I can not engage any other sound mode when playing dts-ma or Dolby truehd whether Trinnov is engaged or not. 5.1 soundtracks use only 5 speakers while 7.1 use all seven..
Make sure in system setup you set your amp to Surround Back.

Turn off auto surround under each input as well.
post #648 of 944 Old 02-28-13, 01:32 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
bhazard wrote: View Post
Turn off "auto surround" in your input, and you can select sound modes.
I will have to give that a try tonight. thanks for the tip.
post #649 of 944 Old 02-28-13, 03:03 PM
Shackster
cconklin1

Quote:
bhazard wrote: View Post
Make sure in system setup you set your amp to Surround Back.

Turn off auto surround under each input as well.
I am 99% sure I have auto surround "off" and in the main set up for speakers it has a choice between sb/z2 (or something like this) and sb. I know that I switched it to SB as I only do one zone with this receiver.
post #650 of 944 Old 02-28-13, 03:08 PM
Shackster

bguzman

My System

Watched Skyfall last night . Awesome AQ with glorious LFE action with a fantastic score like a cherry on top, just awesome. The R-972 with Trinnov is pretty amazing. The sound is exceptionally detailed yet can not be localized. It is very much worth the day and a half it took me to get it set up and I have barely scratched the surface. It is as close to being in a theater as I have been able to come thus far in my HT journey. As great as the sound is, this beast is not for the faint of heart. The menu and overall navigation is convoluted and arcane. It takes several seconds to sync onto the video and a little more to get the audio when channel surfing or the codec changes in previews etc. It would never fly in the living room for the wife and kids but for music and movies I'm willing to accept the quirks for the audio heaven it creates. I'll fine tune it over the next few weeks to boot. Plus there is an added benefit, the rest of the family has absolutely no patients when it comes to this stuff so that means they will more than likely leave well enough alone.

In Both Main HT Living Room HT
SIGHT
Mitsubishi ~ Samsung ~ Panasonic ~ Pioneer ~ Oppo ~ Marantz ~ Toshiba
SOUND
Polk ~ Klipsch ~ Sherwood/Newcastle ~ Pro-Ject ~ Def Tech ~ B&W ~ Klipsch ~ Infinity ~ Yamaha