Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 66 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #651 of 944 Old 02-28-13, 07:02 PM
Senior Shackster

D

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Glad you like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #652 of 944 Old 02-28-13, 07:31 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
bguzman wrote: View Post
Watched Skyfall last night . Awesome AQ with glorious LFE action with a fantastic score like a cherry on top, just awesome. The R-972 with Trinnov is pretty amazing. The sound is exceptionally detailed yet can not be localized. It is very much worth the day and a half it took me to get it set up and I have barely scratched the surface. It is as close to being in a theater as I have been able to come thus far in my HT journey. As great as the sound is, this beast is not for the faint of heart. The menu and overall navigation is convoluted and arcane. It takes several seconds to sync onto the video and a little more to get the audio when channel surfing or the codec changes in previews etc. It would never fly in the living room for the wife and kids but for music and movies I'm willing to accept the quirks for the audio heaven it creates. I'll fine tune it over the next few weeks to boot. Plus there is an added benefit, the rest of the family has absolutely no patients when it comes to this stuff so that means they will more than likely leave well enough alone.
So what makes the receiver so hard to keep in the family room? Is it because its too hard to set up system with Trinnov? Once you set up the system is it hard to mistakenly reconfigure like if a family member gets a hold of remote. Someone please explain. This will determine if I buy one or not.
post #653 of 944 Old 02-28-13, 07:43 PM
Shackster
cconklin1

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
So what makes the receiver so hard to keep in the family room? Is it because its too hard to set up system with Trinnov? Once you set up the system is it hard to mistakenly reconfigure like if a family member gets a hold of remote. Someone please explain. This will determine if I buy one or not.
this has been gone over ad nauseum several times. Go back and read the quirks and foibles of this receiver that make the WAF very low...
post #654 of 944 Old 02-28-13, 11:31 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
cconklin1 wrote: View Post

this has been gone over ad nauseum several times. Go back and read the quirks and foibles of this receiver that make the WAF very low...
WAF very low! No Trinnov for me then!

Last edited by asere; 03-01-13 at 12:11 AM.
post #655 of 944 Old 03-01-13, 11:21 AM
Shackster
cconklin1

a Buddy of mine posted this over at AVS and emailed it to me. I am cutting and pasting it and going to try it out as well:

Fellow Masochists! I have yet more info to impart to you to further confuse and astound you:

While holding "display" and "enter/memo" and turning the left knob to the right to view software information:

SYS MICOM 1.47i
XM PART VER 2.16
DSP PART 10/07/15
DSP FLASH 090318/391119 (for 6db boost file) 691119 (for 3db boost file) or 991119 (for FLAT boost file) MORE ON THIS LATER!!!
HDMI PART 1.11
DVP PART VER 09/08/19
972 USA M 50kHz RDS OFF AM 10kHz NTSC
UPGRADE
OR SCALER UPGRADE

Now the funny thing is someone said that doing a factory reset by holding the "standby" and "memo/enter" buttons for 3 seconds will reset to factory. I have tried on all three versions above and that does NOT seem to be the case. If I reset while having 391119, it still reads 391119 after a reset or even two resets. Same with the other two firmwares. I have no way to AUDIBLY confirm that this is the case, but that is what I notice when viewing the software info. I now plan on going back down, reloading the 6db file and rerunning Trinnov. I am still confused as to whether I should run Trinnov FIRST then apply the boost file, or do the boost file, then run Trinnov, but going to do the former.

So what do you guys think????
post #656 of 944 Old 03-01-13, 01:07 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

There is another way to check the firmware without doing a reset:

To check firmware, in Standby mode, press DISPLAY and ENTER/MEMO button on the unit together.
Turn the multi control knob to the right. FW, DSP FLASH, etc will be displayed.

DSP FLASH 090318/991119.
If you see 391119, it means that +6dB is applied. If it shows 691119, it means that +3dB is applied.

I always use my SMS-1 to make sure the boost was applied and sometimes it take 3 or 4 uploads via the USB drive to finally get the boost. Even when my 972 displays 391119 for the +6 the boost is not there all the time which I confirm with my SMS-1. You can really tell a difference just in normal playback if the +6 boost is applied, without it the bass is disappointing.

Maybe it is just a small amount of 972's that does not always apply the bass files properly? The one thing I have noticed is that a lot of people experience different problems with the 972. There are a lot of problems I see people complain about that I have never experienced with either of my 2 972's.
post #657 of 944 Old 03-01-13, 01:16 PM
Shackster
cconklin1

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
There is another way to check the firmware without doing a reset:

To check firmware, in Standby mode, press DISPLAY and ENTER/MEMO button on the unit together.
Turn the multi control knob to the right. FW, DSP FLASH, etc will be displayed.

DSP FLASH 090318/991119.
If you see 391119, it means that +6dB is applied. If it shows 691119, it means that +3dB is applied.

I always use my SMS-1 to make sure the boost was applied and sometimes it take 3 or 4 uploads via the USB drive to finally get the boost. Even when my 972 displays 391119 for the +6 the boost is not there all the time which I confirm with my SMS-1. You can really tell a difference just in normal playback if the +6 boost is applied, without it the bass is disappointing.

Maybe it is just a small amount of 972's that does not always apply the bass files properly? The one thing I have noticed is that a lot of people experience different problems with the 972. There are a lot of problems I see people complain about that I have never experienced with either of my 2 972's.
I wish I had a sms....

And yes, I know that you do not need to do a reset to check the firmware, I was just posting that it seemed that the 6db file "stuck" with a reset...I do agree that it is a noticeable difference. It's too bad the test tones do not work when you have Trinnov engaged...
post #658 of 944 Old 03-01-13, 02:23 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
I think I'll stick to Audyssey lol!
post #659 of 944 Old 03-01-13, 02:35 PM
Shackster
cconklin1

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
I think I'll stick to Audyssey lol!
Audyssey xt32 was great in my Denon, but for movies I am totally sold on Trinnov. I just got all three calibrations locked in. My center channel started a 2 degrees, then I got it at 1 degree, then finally at 0. All other setting within a db of each other. Fired up my Dune player with 2TB's of movies I like to demo for people and ran through a bunch of clips with 3D mapping engaged. Appears my 6db bass file loaded as I had tons of bass where appropriate! Of course I did have to switch from away from the dune input and then back to it after changing movies as the HDMI handshake was quirky (WAF factor=ZERO) A minor annoyance but as I am not normally flipping through movies one I can live with. on DTS-MA 5.1 and Dolby Tru-HD 5.1 tracks my rear surround ARE engaged. However, there is no way to change any sound modes when Trinnov is on, which makes sense as it would defeat the whole purpose of Trinnov. Changing the "auto surround" to on or of makes no difference contrary to some posters advice here. I am also using a Darbee Darblet at the Sherwood HDMI output via a 1 foot monoprice hdmi cable that is about 5 years old which in turn is then hooked up to a 25 foot "bluerigger" HDMI cable I got from Amazon to my Panny 7000 projector. NO issues to report on that front..
Have I mentioned that I lioke 3D mapping?
post #660 of 944 Old 03-01-13, 02:39 PM
Shackster
cconklin1

Quote:
bhazard wrote: View Post
Make sure in system setup you set your amp to Surround Back.

Turn off auto surround under each input as well.
Done and Done. Makes no difference on my 972, Once Trinnov is engaged you can not change any other sound modes while playing a DTS-MA or Dolby TRU-HD disc...Don't care though, because I honestly don't think it could sound much better. But I do like tweaking...
Pushing the surround buttons on the remote does nothing...