Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 70 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #691 of 944 Old 03-14-13, 10:33 PM
Shackster
cconklin1

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
bguzman wrote: View Post
OK here's what I determined after playing around with my system. If you want to have your surround backs active with 5.1 sound tracks you have to decode in the BD player and send LPCM to the R-972 and select the PLIIx surround mode. If you send bitstream there will be no sound in the SBs and the surround mode is fixed. With 7.1 tracks it makes no difference where you decode the surround mode is fixed. It is easy for me to change decoding on my Oppo so I bitstream 7.1 and LPCM 5.1 for audio bliss. YMMV
OK, Here is what I found! When I am playing a 5.1 Dolby Tru-HD or 5.1 DTS-MA bitstreamed to my Sherwood, I DO get activity in my SB speakers! However, I can not change ANY surround modes, it stays locked at "Trinnov active" (or something like that) Will hopefully have some time later to play with decoded pcm out of my oppo 93 this weekend..

I see sub_crazy has the same out put as me as well..

Last edited by cconklin1; 03-15-13 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 944 Old 03-15-13, 12:17 AM
Shackster

bguzman

My System

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
Yeah, it will say DTS-HD or TrueHD, I have a habit of checking whenever it is a rental BD since some will only include the normal DTS for rental discs like the Hunger Games or most Lions Gate films.
Quote:
cconklin1 wrote: View Post
OK, Here is what I found! When I am playing a 5.1 Dolby Tru-HD or 5.1 DTS-MA bitstreamed to my Sherwood, I DO get activity in my SB speakers! However, I can not change ANY surround modes, it stays locked at "Trinnov active" (or something like that) Will hopefully have some time later to play with decoded pcm out of my oppo 93 this weekend..
I see sub_crazy has the same out put as me as well..
I was asking about the surround back speaker indicators that are highlighted when they are called.

After more investigation I stand corrected. Like stated above there is some sound coming from the SB speakers with a fixed surround mode with bitstream. However with LPCM the sound is more pronounced and I can change surround modes. I think sometimes when this AVR is powered up that things are different than the next time it is turned on.

In Both Main HT Living Room HT
SIGHT
Mitsubishi ~ Samsung ~ Panasonic ~ Pioneer ~ Oppo ~ Marantz ~ Toshiba
SOUND
Polk ~ Klipsch ~ Sherwood/Newcastle ~ Pro-Ject ~ Def Tech ~ B&W ~ Klipsch ~ Infinity ~ Yamaha
post #693 of 944 Old 03-15-13, 12:41 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I still have to try the LPCM trick, no time tonight but hopefully tomorrow.

I know the Book of Eli is DTS-HD 5.1 but when I listened to the shoot out scene with the Gatling gun it sure did sound like the back surrounds were on. In fact it sounded like I was listening to a 20.1 system as I have never heard that scene sound so realistic as it circled around you, that is an awesome scene to try out with Trinnov.
post #694 of 944 Old 03-15-13, 12:56 AM
Shackster

bguzman

My System

Quote:

I know the Book of Eli is DTS-HD 5.1 but when I listened to the shoot out scene with the Gatling gun it sure did sound like the back surrounds were on. In fact it sounded like I was listening to a 20.1 system as I have never heard that scene sound so realistic as it circled around you, that is an awesome scene to try out with Trinnov.
I watched that same movie tonight and it did sound amazing indeed.

SIGHT
SOUND
Polk ~ Klipsch ~ Sherwood/Newcastle ~ Pro-Ject ~ Def Tech ~ B&W ~ Klipsch ~ Infinity ~ Yamaha
post #695 of 944 Old 03-16-13, 12:19 AM
Shackster

Quote:

I love that scene! I have to watch it again now.
post #696 of 944 Old 03-17-13, 06:12 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I was just listening to some music on my 5.1 channel system in the living room which I only use for TV and music, movies are always upstairs with the PJ.

Admittedly I wasn't as impressed with the 972 with music but after making some adjustments it really is growing on me. The weird part is in Stereo mode there is still sound coming out of my surrounds and center but it sounds really good and now is my preferred listening mode for music over Neural which was my favorite.

I finally settled on Audiophile 1, 3D Remap and the Music setting when listening to music in Stereo. For movies and TV I still prefer Natural for EQ as I like the added midbass boost. I initially preferred either 2D Remap or DLY+LVL for thee Spatial Mode when listening to music but I changed around my system a little and re-ran a calibration and now 3D sounds a lot better for music. I have always preferred 3D for movies and TV but music used to sound strange.

What settings are others using?
post #697 of 944 Old 03-18-13, 01:38 AM
Shackster

bguzman

My System

Quote:
I was just listening to some music on my 5.1 channel system in the living room which I only use for TV and music, movies are always upstairs with the PJ.
Admittedly I wasn't as impressed with the 972 with music but after making some adjustments it really is growing on me. The weird part is in Stereo mode there is still sound coming out of my surrounds and center but it sounds really good and now is my preferred listening mode for music over Neural which was my favorite.
I finally settled on Audiophile 1, 3D Remap and the Music setting when listening to music in Stereo. For movies and TV I still prefer Natural for EQ as I like the added midbass boost. I initially preferred either 2D Remap or DLY+LVL for thee Spatial Mode when listening to music but I changed around my system a little and re-ran a calibration and now 3D sounds a lot better for music. I have always preferred 3D for movies and TV but music used to sound strange.
What settings are others using?
I am still trying out a few different settings for music. I mainly listen to music multi-channel, don't hate, with position 3, 2D mapping, and natural, which is calibrated sending the surround/multi to my front wide speakers. I also go pure audio for that all natural sound, especially with LPs. Add to that I am also experimenting using the analog outs of my Oppo 83 for DVD-A and SACD. Basically this thing can sound anyway you want it if you're patient enough to check out the fifty bazillion settings.

For movies it's a traditional 7.1, position 1, 3D mapping, an natural. I just watched Life of Pi and the sound scape this AVR can create is scary good.

SIGHT
SOUND

Last edited by ALMFamily; 03-18-13 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Removed language violation
post #698 of 944 Old 03-18-13, 01:55 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

When I was listening today to a CD with my Oppo connected via HDMI I was not able to engage Pure Audio. I thought maybe it was because of Trinnov, do you have to turn Trinnov off to use the Pure Audio function or does it only work with analog sources, not HDMI?
post #699 of 944 Old 03-18-13, 02:17 AM
Shackster

bguzman

My System

Quote:
sub_crazy;[url wrote:
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/umc200599429]When[/url] I was listening today to a CD with my Oppo connected via HDMI I was not able to engage Pure Audio. I thought maybe it was because of Trinnov, do you have to turn Trinnov off to use the Pure Audio function or does it only work with analog sources, not HDMI?
I only use Pure Audio with my turntable or analogs via the Oppo. I also play music from my laptop using optical. I believe you can use Trinnov with two channel analog but not multichannel. Pure Audio works with analog and digital but not HDMI.

SIGHT
SOUND

Last edited by bguzman; 03-18-13 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Update info
post #700 of 944 Old 03-21-13, 09:23 PM

Angry Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

I just purchased an R-972 and have some issues with it. No matter where I place the Trinnov microphone or what position I try and setup the only result it displays is for the Front Right speaker. It always has either 0 degs. or 90 degs for the H. angle. Although the distance might be about right. All other fields are blank. (front left, surrounds, front, and sub).

I've tried placing the microphone 2-3 feet from the Front Left speaker and had no luck, it still only displays info for the front right. I have polk RM6600's and they aren't the best speakers in the world but I wouldn't think they would be the problem are they?

I've read that if it has problems picking up your speakers it will make the SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH noise 9 times for each speaker. If it has no problems then it'll only do it 3x. Every Time I've tried it it has only every made 3 attempts and has never displayed any errors.

I keep searching around to see if I've done something wrong or missread the directions but I get the feeling I just got a bum unit :-\ I've already had to send it back once and I thought they would have fixed this so maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

Any advice?

Last edited by sayguh; 03-21-13 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Edit: Added more info on # of times it makes attempts