Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 72 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #711 of 944 Old 04-06-13, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Just a quick update, I hooked up some cheep surround speakers today in preparation for my SVS SBS-02s that will arrive later this coming week and re ran Trinnov.
All I can say is WOW I turned on 3D remap and was blown away in how it sounds with music! I can literally close my eyes and the sound is all around me with not one direct direction that the sound is coming from. Even with these cheep speakers as the surrounds its just amazing.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #712 of 944 Old 04-06-13, 02:39 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Just a quick update, I hooked up some cheep surround speakers today in preparation for my SVS SBS-02s that will arrive later this coming week and re ran Trinnov.
All I can say is WOW I turned on 3D remap and was blown away in how it sounds with music! I can literally close my eyes and the sound is all around me with not one direct direction that the sound is coming from. Even with these cheep speakers as the surrounds its just amazing.
When Trinnov does it's thing that is my same exact reaction and why I am hooked. It is great to just be surrounded by sound so enveloping, you almost have to get use to it. Just the other day my girl commented that a surround effect she would swear was coming from someplace in the house. She said wow, the effect was so convincing.
post #713 of 944 Old 04-06-13, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

You know what even more interesting? I was in my kitchen and the sound was still coming from the room as if I had speakers in my Kitchen. Its hard to explain if your not there to hear for yourself.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #714 of 944 Old 04-06-13, 02:59 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
You know what even more interesting? I was in my kitchen and the sound was still coming from the room as if I had speakers in my Kitchen. Its hard to explain if your not there to hear for yourself.
My family room is open to the kitchen but if someone is example in a different room is it audible there?
post #715 of 944 Old 04-06-13, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Your guess is as good as mine

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #716 of 944 Old 04-06-13, 03:41 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
My living room system is opened to the kitchen and when I tested out the 972 there I actually paused and replayed a scene from a TV show 4 times. It just did not compute in my head how the sound could appear to be coming from there, it was so clear it sounded like a monopole speaker firing right at you but there were no speakers even close. I honestly thought it had to be a cabinet or something inside the cabinets that was resonating or my neighbor doing something but on the 4th playback we realized it was just from the TV show were a noise was placed in the back of the room. The most realistic placement of a sound that I have ever experienced.
post #717 of 944 Old 04-07-13, 06:03 AM
Senior Shackster

Yoda

My System

if you guys don't stop this, you're going to make me purchase a R-972! and my wife won't buy the "but the guys and gals on HTS said..." excuse!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #718 of 944 Old 04-07-13, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I did have an odd occurrence last night as i was playing with the settings. The picture went green like the red had quit. I had to finally go into the video settings and bypass the video scaling to get it to return to normal even though it was a 1080p signal from bluray so there should not have been any scaling being done.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #719 of 944 Old 04-07-13, 10:34 AM
Shackster

bguzman

My System

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
When Trinnov does it's thing that is my same exact reaction and why I am hooked. It is great to just be surrounded by sound so enveloping, you almost have to get use to it. Just the other day my girl commented that a surround effect she would swear was coming from someplace in the house. She said wow, the effect was so convincing.
Agree 100%, the sound stage on this puppy is amazing.

Quote:
yoda13 wrote: View Post
if you guys don't stop this, you're going to make me purchase a R-972! and my wife won't buy the "but the guys and gals on HTS said..." excuse!
Go for it man, she'll just find something else to bust your chops about.

Quote:
I did have an odd occurrence last night as i was playing with the settings. The picture went green like the red had quit. I had to finally go into the video settings and bypass the video scaling to get it to return to normal even though it was a 1080p signal from bluray so there should not have been any scaling being done.
I've had these types of things happen to every AVR I've had, Sony, Denon, Onkyo, since the advent of the dreaded HDMI connection. Sometimes with all the technology crammed into these AVRs you just have to toggle so that it can try again.

In Both Main HT Living Room HT
SIGHT
Mitsubishi ~ Samsung ~ Panasonic ~ Pioneer ~ Oppo ~ Marantz ~ Toshiba
SOUND
Polk ~ Klipsch ~ Sherwood/Newcastle ~ Pro-Ject ~ Def Tech ~ B&W ~ Klipsch ~ Infinity ~ Yamaha

Last edited by bguzman; 04-08-13 at 01:06 AM.
post #720 of 944 Old 04-08-13, 08:38 PM
Shackster
cconklin1

Quote:
yep, had that once as well, kinda like a "solarized" effect when it was mostly green and you could still kind of see what was going on. toggling inputs cured it for me. I do NOT use the scaling in the 972...