Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 74 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #731 of 944 Old 04-09-13, 09:15 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Hearing so much great stuff you about trinnov I'm tempted more and more to get Sherwood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #732 of 944 Old 04-25-13, 11:10 PM
Shackster
cconklin1

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

no replies in almost two weeks. We must be too busy watching movies!
post #733 of 944 Old 04-25-13, 11:21 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
cconklin1 wrote: View Post
no replies in almost two weeks. We must be too busy watching movies!
Lol, yeah we must be!

post #734 of 944 Old 04-27-13, 12:17 PM
Shackster

It's not like we can expect a firmware update or anything new to pop up. We're just enjoying our systems.
post #735 of 944 Old 05-15-13, 07:16 PM
Shackster

Talking Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

I received my Sherwood Newcastle R972 today from Accessoriesforless. I immediatly ran into an issue. The quick start guide has a big warning that says not to hook up the receiver to speakers less than 6 Ohms. My main speakers are KEF Reference Series 104.2's which are 4 Ohms. My Fluke Multimeter reads them as 4.7 Ohms, but that is still shy of 6 Ohms. The only thing I can think of is to put a large 2 Ohm resister in line, but that is not what i would call a viable choice. Does anyone have a solution or suggestion other than replacing my very expensive speakers or will the R972 be able to handle the Kef speakers?

Another question I have is concerning the HDMI connections on this receiver. I have never had a receiver before that had HDMI connections, so I always connected my HDMI directly to the TV and used optical for the surround sound. I spoke to a guy that told me the HDMI connection is a better quality sound and i should go through the receiver. However, i really only use surround sound when i watch movies and not regular TV. So will this receiver pass the HDMI signal to the TV in standby mode? If not, i will have to stay with optical for the Audio connection to the receiver.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Mike
post #736 of 944 Old 05-15-13, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Ive been running 4 Ohm speakers with my R972 for almost 6 months and had no issues at all. Just dont run it at ear bleeding levels and you will be fine.
The R792 wont pass audio in Standby so you will have to use optical for things like the cable TV receiver but if watching BluRay you defiantly want to run HDMI to the receiver and HDMI out to the TV as the uncompressed audio will only pass over HDMI.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #737 of 944 Old 05-15-13, 09:16 PM
Shackster

I have owned the Sherwood R-972 with Trinnov now for about a year, and I still keep discovering new things about it. I thought I would share a thing or two that might be of interest to us audiophile types, lol. In retrospect, there is no way a reviewer could have this processor for a short while, and know very much about it, especially concerning Trinnov. It’s really not their fault in a way. For one reason, the R-972's manual is not nearly as comprehensive, and explicative as it needs to be. There are things that one will discover the R-972/Trinnov does by accident, or by reading somewhere like in Curt Hoyt’s (from Trinnov) ongoing AVS articles for R-972 owners concerning Trinnov. Secondly, Audyssey is probably the room correction technology that most reviewers are familiar with, but this ain’t Audyssey. I doubt any knowledge of Audyssey will help them understand how Trinnov works in this processor. So, I believe there are many things not mentioned about Trinnov that would have been enlightening about this unit to people, but the reviewers do not have the time they need to find out all about how it works in the time they are allowed for a review.

The one thing that I want to focus on here, and that I don’t remember reading in any of the reviews on this unit, is how that 2 channel stereo works with “Remastering”, “Pure Audio” and Trinnov.

When using two channel RCA stereo L/R “out” from my old Philips CD-50 CD player into RCA L/R “in” on the Sherwood some magic can happen:

1) Remastering - Remastering is a feature that only works with 2 channel stereo. I’ve tried both HDMI and analog, and it definitely works better with analog. When engaged, Remastering upsamples the source material by 2x. If you have a CD that is 16/44.1khz it will be “remastered” or upsampled to 24/88.2. If your source material is 88.2, it will be up-sampled to 176.4. Resolution max’s out at 24/192. The sound is pretty amazing with Remastering engaged. There is a noticeable improvement in sound.

2) Pure Audio - When engaged, it turns off all video circuitry and this supposedly enhances audio quality by eliminating any potential degradation of sound by having video processing circuitry on at the same time . I’ve read mixed reviews on whether Pure Audio mode really affects the sound, but with the R-972 it is definitely unmistakable. This took the audio to another level. Having “Remastering” + “Pure Audio” on at the same time is a game changer. Thinner sounding CD’s got fatter. More high frequency sparkle. More defined bass. Better separation and localization of instruments within the sound stage.

3) Trinnov - Initially, I thought that it only worked using HDMI. But, Trinnov also works in 2 channel analog stereo as well! Not only can you apply a number of Trinnov presets to change to the EQ of your choice, but more importantly to me is that Trinnov takes over total bass management/EQ of your sub(s) as if you were running via HDMI, but again, this is 2 channel analog RCA ins I’m talking about! The sound is already amazing with my 15 year old CD player. I can’t imagine using an Oppo BDP-105‘s dedicated stereo outs with this setup. I’m sure it would be nothing short of amazing. “Remastering” my redbook CD's from 16/44.1 to 24/88.2 + ”Pure Audio” + Trinnov in analog stereo mode is a combination that has an fantastic sound.

I don’t know enough about Audyssey to know if it, or a pre/pro or AVR with Audyssey, does any upsampling plus room correction in 2 channel stereo via RCA? Maybe someone could chime in about that. I would like to know if this is unique to Trinnov?
post #738 of 944 Old 05-15-13, 09:32 PM
Shackster

Quote:
mike in ca wrote: View Post
I received my Sherwood Newcastle R972 today from Accessoriesforless. I immediatly ran into an issue. The quick start guide has a big warning that says not to hook up the receiver to speakers less than 6 Ohms. My main speakers are KEF Reference Series 104.2's which are 4 Ohms. My Fluke Multimeter reads them as 4.7 Ohms, but that is still shy of 6 Ohms. The only thing I can think of is to put a large 2 Ohm resister in line, but that is not what i would call a viable choice. Does anyone have a solution or suggestion other than replacing my very expensive speakers or will the R972 be able to handle the Kef speakers?

Another question I have is concerning the HDMI connections on this receiver. I have never had a receiver before that had HDMI connections, so I always connected my HDMI directly to the TV and used optical for the surround sound. I spoke to a guy that told me the HDMI connection is a better quality sound and i should go through the receiver. However, i really only use surround sound when i watch movies and not regular TV. So will this receiver pass the HDMI signal to the TV in standby mode? If not, i will have to stay with optical for the Audio connection to the receiver.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Mike
I just wanted to let you know that I have been using the R-972 to run 5 x 4ohm Polk Lsi series speakers for a year. No problems whatsoever. Unit gets a little warm, but not hot. I play movies.... LOUD! Been doing it a year. So, you'll be find.

Move to HDMI on sound for movies. I believe that coax and optical can only do surround in Dolby Digital st best. Once you hear Blu ray with DTS-HD, Dolby-HD, etc., that can only be experienced via HDMI, you won't go back. It's that much better. From your disk player go to the R-972 by HDMI, then from the R-972 go to your TV by another HDMI cable. If you have a Blu ray player that has two HDMI outs, use one HDMI out straight to your TV for video. Then use the other HDMI out into the R-972 for audio. This is the best way if you have a disk player with two HDMI outs.
post #739 of 944 Old 05-15-13, 10:58 PM
Shackster

Remastering works on all connections. I have it engaged all the time. It blinks on the receiver while it is on. Pure audio only works on analog though right? It doesn't work from my PC/HDMI connection.

Have you found a way to modify the crossovers with Trinnov on? I have a new pair of full range speakers going in, and I want to be able to run them both full range and crossed with Trinnov.

Last edited by bhazard; 05-15-13 at 11:12 PM.
post #740 of 944 Old 05-16-13, 09:24 AM
Shackster

I am dating myself here, but back in the 70's I was a proffesional sound engineer doing large rock concerts and also recording studio work. When we did concerts, even our smallest system was stereo tri-amped. In the early 1970's this was pretty cutting edge but it still made an amazing difference in the sound quality. We rutinely ran 4 ohm speakers since each individual driver had it's own amp. The thing about amps is that they are usually rated for an 8 ohm speaker. So if your amp is rated at 100 watts per channel, that is usually reffering to an 8 ohm load. When you run 4 ohm speakers, you are essentially doubling the amps power output. It is actually a bit more than double, but for the sake of this conversation, lets keep it simple. The up side is that a 100 watt per channel amp becomes a 200 watt per channel amp at 4 ohms. The down side being that the amp runs much hotter and if it is not rated to handle the additional power, things tend to burn out in the amp. Back then we used yamaha pro series amps that were rated to handle anything between 4 and 8 ohms, so it was not a problem. Although in a rock concert situation, you are usually running them full bore. Our amps used to get so hot, you could fry and egg on the top of them. Since they were made to run that way, we never ever had one fail. Considering we used them at least 5 days a week and traveled all over with them, they took an amazing amount of abuse without any failures. But then they were designed for that kind of usage. I was concerned about the 972 because of the warning in the manual, but I really never run my home theater sound anywhere near full bore, so I had a feeling it really would not be a problem, but thanks to all those that confirmed it. This will be my third Sherwood Newcastle AVR and i ran my 4 ohm Kef's on both of the first two. My R963T took a powder last week which is what prompted buying the R972.

Mike

Last edited by mike in ca; 05-17-13 at 07:27 PM.