Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 78 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #771 of 944 Old 06-01-13, 06:13 PM
Shackster

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

I set it up with it turned off, but after trying everything else, i even tried it with it turned on, but it did not work either way, so i set it back to off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #772 of 944 Old 06-01-13, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Hmmm, And you have each input set to the following?

HDMI Assign: HDMI 1 (or 2,3 and so on)
Video assign: ----
Video mode: HDMI
Audio assign: ----
Audio mode: HDMI

Page 2
Audio Surround and remaster: On
HD audio: On

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #773 of 944 Old 06-01-13, 07:18 PM
Shackster

It really did not like those settings. The display on the receiver kept flashing back and forth every second from the HDMI logo to the remastering logo making a loud click each time it changed and it still did not work. I tried setting remastering back to off which fixed the clicking and switching of logos an then only the HDMI logo flashed but still no sound.
post #774 of 944 Old 06-01-13, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Your getting picture with HDMI right? Did you have a HDMI signal playing when you tried those settings? The other thing is do you have Bitstream audio and HDMI audio out turned on selected in the Players menu?

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #775 of 944 Old 06-01-13, 07:32 PM
Shackster

I put it back to only the audio out HDMI of the DVD player is hooked up to the receiver. The reason is that when my wife watches a DVD without me, she does not want to deal with the surround sound and the receiver. So this way it will send both audio and video directly to the TV without having to turn on the receiver. If it worked, then when I watch it, i can use the receiver getting the audio from the HDMI audio only output from the DVD and just turn down the volume on the TV. The A/V port on the DVD goes directly to the TV. According to the DVD manual it sends output from both jacks without having to change any settings, but i also tried the split the outputs setting on the DVD player as well and it made no difference.

Last edited by mike in ca; 06-01-13 at 07:39 PM.
post #776 of 944 Old 06-01-13, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Ok, so your Player has two HDMI outs? One to the receiver and one to the display?
Sorry Im trying to figure this out because Im not there to see I have to ask so many questions.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #777 of 944 Old 06-01-13, 07:42 PM
Shackster

Correct. The number 1 output of the DVD player is a combo audio/video output. The number 2 output is a audio only output. I have the number 1 going directly to the TV and the number 2 going to the receiver.
post #778 of 944 Old 06-01-13, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

And you have tried going with the #1 HDMI only? Im running out of options here. I am starting to think something is not right with your R972 I might suggest doing a hard reset of your receiver and start over.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #779 of 944 Old 06-02-13, 07:46 AM
Shackster

Ok, I tried one last ditch test. I hooked up only the combo A/V output form the DVD player to the receiver. I used the cable that was being used for the sencond output to go from the HDMI monitor output of the receiver to the TV. I got video pasing through the receiver just fine, but no audio either with the HDMI audio output turned on or off even just through the TV speakers. No audio from anything. The cables are obviously good as they both pass video and if the combo output is connected directly to the TV I get both audio and video to the TV.

So one, how do i do a hard reset as I could not find anything on the setup menu and two, how do I check the firmware version? I think I have done everything else possible to make sure no other component or cable is at fault. So either the hard rest will fix it or it is a defective receiver.

I hope not the latter, but if you ever met someone with the worst luck in the world on pretty much everything, it is me. It seems no matter what i do or buy, something is always either broken or a problem. I can't even find a auto mechanic that in not a total bungler. I take my car in and they either can't fix the problem or they make it worse. So i usually have to take it home and fix it myself, which after 8 back surgeries is not a good time. Funny how an amature back yard mechanic can do not only a better job but figure out how to do things the "professional Mechanics" can't. I can't tell you how many times I have taken my 65' Cobra replica to so called expert mechanics and they haven't got a clue how to work on it. Example. I bought the headers for my model Cobra too late and they no longer made the exact ones for the version of my car, so the drivers side was 1 1/4" too long as they widend the car in the next version. So it stuck out too far and showed the flange and bolts. So I hunted around on the forum for my car and found someone who had a drivers side header that they never used that was the correct one for my car. I took it to the mechanic to swap it out and they said it was impossible to make work, but charged me the full estimate anyway. I took it home and had it swapped in an hour. So much for impossible! That is only one of the nightmares i have had with mechanics on that car for which i now have spent close to $2,000 for work that either was not done, not needed or not done correctly. And a 65 car with a regular old carburated engine should be a piece of cake for a professional, but I guess these days, if it does not have a computer, professonal mechanics are lost. It seems the same lack of effort and pride in workmanship also plagues quality control on electronics as well. I guess since most of the stuff is made in China, we should get used to DOA or faulty electronics from now on.

Last edited by mike in ca; 06-02-13 at 08:07 AM.
post #780 of 944 Old 06-02-13, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

The R972 has its quirks, hopefully a hard reset is all it needs.

To reset the R-972 to factory settings:

Once in Standby Mode, press and hold down the STANDBY & MEMO/ENTER buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds. This will reset the unit and it will turn on automatically. If the reset was successful, you should notice that the receiver powers up at 87.5 FM . If not, repeat the reset process.

Home theater:

Living room system: