Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 79 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #781 of 944 Old 06-02-13, 09:56 AM
Shackster

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

I will try that now to see if it fixes the problem. Do you know how to check the firmware version?

It has been a rough night. My wife who never does this, decided to let our dog out to pee at 1:00 AM. Since my back problems keep me up virtually every night, I am always the one to do this little chore. We live in a forested area, so I always turn on our very bright halogen flood light before I open the door to make sure there are no critters out in the back yard. The one and only time my wife does it, she lets the dog out without turning on the light. So of course there was a skunk out there and the dog got sprayed pretty bad. Then my wife let the dog in the house and let her run all over the house before figuring out that she just spread the stink and skunk oil all over the house. And of course we did not have the necessary supplies to clean both the dog and the carpets, dog beds and everything else the dog came in contact with. So I have been up all night doing what little we could to clean up the dog and other stuff, with minimal success. Since I was way too hyped up to try and go to sleep, I then spent the next hour and a half trying the connections in my last post. So here it is now just about 8:00 am, the house reeks of skunk and I am a walking zombie. See what i mean when I say i am the un-luckyest person you ever met!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 944 Old 06-02-13, 11:16 AM
Shackster

Tony
Well your trick on the hard reset fixed it. Thanks so much for all your help. I did find out why it was not working after the reset fixed it. Since i was not going to pass video through the receiver to the TV, I did not want to spend the bucks on an 8' THX HDMI cable just for the monitor out for the system setup screen to show on the TV. So since I had a really good Component cable, I hooked up the receiver monitor out via the component output. It seems one of the quirks of this receiver is that if you setup the system menu to have component monitor out, it shuts off the HDMI ports for audio. As soon as i changed the factory setup which is for HDMI for the monitor out to component, the audio stopped working with the HDMI connection. When i changed it back just using the receiver display, the audio started working again through the HDMI. Talk about strange! So I guess here goes another $48 for another HDMI cable and since there are only two ports pointing down on my TV and they are already in use, the only other HDMI ports on my TV are on the side and the cable will be sticking out the side. So i guess i will need a 90 degree HDMI adapter as well. But at least the problem has been solved. What a beating! But Thanks again for all the folks that chimed in to help.

Mike

Last edited by mike in ca; 06-02-13 at 11:22 AM.
post #783 of 944 Old 06-02-13, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Thats great news Mike! Im glad it was as simple as that to fix the issue.
Dont spend $48 on a HDMI cable a $10 HDMI cable from an outlet store will work just as well.

To check the version of your R-972 firmware:
hold Display and Enter/Memo

The latest "known" firmware is version 1.4

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #784 of 944 Old 06-02-13, 01:02 PM
Shackster

Thanks again. You are a wealth of knowledge on these receivers, and like you said, it does have it's quirks.

Any idea why the TRINNOV setup put all the center channel information to my right main and put the right main information to the center channel? Like I said, when i set it up manually it worked as it should, so my connections are not the problem. I made sure to face the TRINNOV mic in the correct direction as well. Once I get the new HDMI cable and get the OSD back up, I will give it another shot, but I found that another anomaly that I so far, can not figure out.

Also, a minor weird thing happaned. When i sent in the warranty card, it came back stamped undeliverable address. I guess Sherwood has closed up it's office in Cerritos, CA., so I just registered it online.

This is my third Sherwood Newcastle A/V Receiver and they just seem to get more and more complicated to setup; but once they are set, they sound great. I have always had a preferance to British audio gear including speakers. Since I could never afford the B&W speakers I would want, I chose to go with KEF speakers; since they have a similar sound and are considerably less expensive than many of the other top end British speakers. Even still, I have almost $5,000 invested in speakers and I still want to change out my side surround speakers to a better KEF model. That will have to wait a while though after buying this new receiver. The Dipole KEF's I want are like $800 to $900 a pair, so it will be a while before I can spring that upgrade on my wife. Especially since she is hearing impared and can not really tell the difference. My ears, being a retired sound and recording engineer are quite a bit more sensitive and I can really tell the difference between all my other KEF's; as they were all top of the line series speakers and the Dipoles I have now were their bottom of their line series. That has always been my problem, my taste is always way more expensive than my income.

I even prefer British cars and have owned most of the older models at one time or another, but I can tell you; after owning about 25 different British cars over the years, my Shelby AC Cobra 427 S/C Replica is about the most fun car I have ever owned; and if any of you ever get a chance to drive or own one; there is not another car on the road that is more fun. Mine does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, stops on a dime and handles like it is on rails. It is at it's root a full on race car, so if you ever get a chance to drive one, respect the power or it will bite you really bad. It is just hard to find a mechanic that can still work on these old style cars; even though most of the running gear is all regular Ford parts. Sorry to get off subject here, but it just shows I love British cars and audio gear.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by mike in ca; 06-02-13 at 01:10 PM.
post #785 of 944 Old 06-02-13, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
mike in ca wrote: View Post
Any idea why the TRINNOV setup put all the center channel information to my right main and put the right main information to the center channel? Like I said, when i set it up manually it worked as it should, so my connections are not the problem. I made sure to face the TRINNOV mic in the correct direction as well. Once I get the new HDMI cable and get the OSD back up, I will give it another shot, but I found that another anomaly that I so far, can not figure out.

Thanks

Mike
thats odd, did you put the mic on a small tripod at ear level at the listening position? I am sure you have done thins but are you certain you have the speaker connections correct on the back of the receiver?

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #786 of 944 Old 06-02-13, 01:29 PM
Shackster

Yes I used a tripod and manually checked the connections, but like I said; when i turned off the TRINNOV the sound information came through the proper speakers. Weird Huh!
post #787 of 944 Old 06-02-13, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Ya, the remaping is way off, I would run Trinnov again.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #788 of 944 Old 06-02-13, 01:37 PM
Shackster

Yeah, even when I was setting it up, you know how it displays a visual image of all the speakers and lights up the speaker that the test tone is going through at the time. Well each tone came through the proper lighted speaker, so it should have worked, but i will give it another shot when i get the OSD back in operation when i get the new HDMI cable.
post #789 of 944 Old 06-02-13, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Good plan, make sure its done when there are no external noises in the house. That can also mess things up.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #790 of 944 Old 06-05-13, 02:32 PM
Shackster

That's some good tech support right there.

Keep playing around with Trinnov. Use 3D Remapping and either Flat or Natural for the EQ for the best results. Once you dial it in, its worth all the trouble.