Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 80 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #791 of 944 Old 06-06-13, 11:05 PM
Shackster
cconklin1

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Quote:
mike in ca wrote: View Post
Thanks again. You are a wealth of knowledge on these receivers, and like you said, it does have it's quirks.

Any idea why the TRINNOV setup put all the center channel information to my right main and put the right main information to the center channel? Like I said, when i set it up manually it worked as it should, so my connections are not the problem. I made sure to face the TRINNOV mic in the correct direction as well. Once I get the new HDMI cable and get the OSD back up, I will give it another shot, but I found that another anomaly that I so far, can not figure out.
Had exactly the same thing happen one time I ran trinnov as well. Just reset and do it again. It is one of its many quirks. As far as cables go, I have had FANTASTIC luck with the free redmere cables that consistently pop up on newegg. I must have some sort of disease as I just can't pass up free HDMI cables and have amassed about 40 of them! Redid my entire theater with them ans they work great and are super easy on the connectors due to their light weight. Work great with my Darbee Darblet as well! I highly recommend them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #792 of 944 Old 06-06-13, 11:18 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

WHAT! Free redmere cables!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what, when, how and were........too excited as I already know were (newegg) but how and when?

BeeMan458 wrote:

It's easier for you to prove I'm crazy than it is for me to prove I'm not.
post #793 of 944 Old 06-12-13, 01:01 PM
Shackster

I've been eyeballing this receiver for a while. I'm finally moving into my new house and getting ready to upgrade my receiver. I've read great reports of the final product that Trinnov produces, but the receiver has been around for quite a few years. Do you guys think this receiver can still hold it's grounds against the newer receiver as far as sound quality. I don't need networking through the receiver, so thats not a big deal. I'm talking pure sound quality for movies, and maybe 20-30% music.
post #794 of 944 Old 06-12-13, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
thucker wrote: View Post
Do you guys think this receiver can still hold it's grounds against the newer receiver as far as sound quality. I don't need networking through the receiver, so thats not a big deal. I'm talking pure sound quality for movies, and maybe 20-30% music.
As far as sound quality, absolutely! Trinnov is really amazing and it does not seem like we will ever see it in another receiver any time soon. The 972 has its operational quirks but once you figure out how to get around them it really is no a big deal considering its only $600!

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #795 of 944 Old 06-12-13, 02:09 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Thucker - I will be going full 5.1 surround using Trinnov next week and will be posting my impressions in this thread.

As far as music, I am a 2 channel audiophile from way back, and feel the R-972 has the goods. Just put this AVR back into my system recently, did a Trinnov calibration this morning, sitting listening as I type. A receiver wouldn't be my first choice for a music only system, I have a passive pre integrated that does a slightly better job, but for a mixed HT/music system it does a very good job.

My biggest interest is in how this machine handles 5.1 DVD-A and SACD's. Most people cannot place their speakers perfectly and I am in that camp with respect to my surrounds and center channel. Those three channels will be compromised and I am counting on Trinnov to fix that for me. Movie watching will also be enhanced, of course.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #796 of 944 Old 06-12-13, 05:05 PM
Shackster

Thank you for the feedbacks fellas.

I'll have a dedicated room at the new house that can actually have a front stage for a change. I've been using my current system in my living room with everything in a corner. It's a nightmare arrangement for sound.
post #797 of 944 Old 06-19-13, 09:10 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

I'm looking at tripods for the Trinnov mics, does it use the standard size thread? Mic female opening looks smaller than my Canon point and shoot.

Here is the tripod.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-WEIFENG-...torefresh=true

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #798 of 944 Old 06-19-13, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Yes, its the standard thread.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #799 of 944 Old 06-19-13, 09:34 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
I'm looking at tripods for the Trinnov mics, does it use the standard size thread? Mic female opening looks smaller than my Canon point and shoot.

Here is the tripod.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-WEIFENG-...torefresh=true
I think there are two common thread sizes used on tripods and the Trinnov mic uses the smaller one. It did not fit on my tripod or my friends. I think you can get an adapter for the smaller size.
post #800 of 944 Old 06-19-13, 11:22 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

This set-up will be more than the tripod but it will be the only thing you need especially if you do REW measurements:

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-Stands-M...boom+mic+stand

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-MY200-Un...ef=pd_sim_MI_7

http://www.amazon.com/CM01-Camera-Di...f=pd_sim_MI_11

The last is what I use to attach the Trinnov mic but it also fits Audyssey mics as well. The mic clip should be added since it is only $2.50 but in the whole order the shipping is free.

BeeMan458 wrote:

It's easier for you to prove I'm crazy than it is for me to prove I'm not.