Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 82 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #811 of 944 Old 09-05-13, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Try doing a hard reset before sending it back.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 944 Old 09-05-13, 12:28 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Thanks I will give that a try hopefully it can be solved with something that easy. I would hate to ship this thing off and be without it for who knows how long.
post #813 of 944 Old 09-06-13, 07:37 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

So I did a hard reset several times and HDMI inputs 2,3 and 4 still do not work.
Has anyone had to send one of these in for repairs? any idea on the turnaround time?

post #814 of 944 Old 09-06-13, 12:59 PM
Shackster

Call Eugene in Sherwood tech support at 714 739-2000 and ask.

Jeff
post #815 of 944 Old 09-06-13, 01:10 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
Stereojeff wrote: View Post
Call Eugene in Sherwood tech support at 714 739-2000 and ask.

Jeff
Thanks for that number, I will give him a call when I get home.
post #816 of 944 Old 09-30-13, 10:17 PM
Shackster

Been lurking here since I bought two R972 refurbs from 1saleaday. Unfortunately both had to go back to Sherwood for repair, but they're fine now (although typically quirky). IMO the R972's flaws are more than offset by its sound quality, and these forums have been a tremendous asset in helping me maximize that! (Then again I drive old British cars and Fiats, so have a high tolerance for finicky products.)

My biggest regret is not having bought a third unit for the family room. If anyone here decides to give up their R972 (for less than the $599 new price of course), I'd love to hear about it - whether purchased new or refurbished, working or not. Please email me at bd (at) busdepot (dotcom).

Thanks!
post #817 of 944 Old 11-06-13, 10:25 AM

Hello. I just purchased a refurb R-972 to try out as an alternative to my Marantz AV-7005. Setup seems to have gone well, including with the 3db+ bass files, but I am concerned about the SACD processing by the R-972. I have an Oppo BDP-93 hooked to HDMI 1 to play multi-channel SACD discs. What I don't understand is why the R-972 is seemingly down sampling the Oppo output -- the screen says PCM 44.1 MHz. In the Oppo Audio Format Setup, HDMI Audio is set to Bitstream, Coaxial/Optical Output is set to LPCM, the LPCM Rate Limit is set at 192k and the SACD Output is set for PCM. Switching HDMI Audio to LPCM makes no difference, and in fact, changing SACD Output to DSD (obviously not supported by the R-972) yields the same result (rather than not playing at all). Anyway, SACD sounds awful this way. What am I doing wrong? Thanks. JCR

P.S. the audio remastering button does not double the PCM notation, so that wouldn't seem to be the answer.
post #818 of 944 Old 12-08-13, 08:10 AM

Just purchased my 2nd Sherwood Newcastle R-972 for my 2nd room, have the 1st about 1 1/2 years. With the new one playing a blu-ray only plays stereo not surround using hdmi. Same brand player, so I took the player and hdmifrom the first and connected it to the 2nd still only stereo while it played surround on the 1st. Noticed when first starting the new one the on screen menu froze so I shut it off and unplugged then the menu worked, doing trinnov it did not recognize the right front and left surround as no sound out of them but redid trinnov and then it worked. Tried different hdmi inputs, does surround with satellite hdmi input. The instruction manual is lacking. Which amp setting to use on 2nd bi-amp, surround back, on 1st 7 speakers on 2nd 5 speakers. Wonder if my 2nd is defective?
post #819 of 944 Old 12-08-13, 08:11 AM

You can get them for $499 brand new
post #820 of 944 Old 12-26-13, 10:30 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Steve2150 wrote: View Post
You can get them for $499 brand new
Not for long....AC4L is down to LT 10, and according to one user posting on AVS (and something I confirmed when I PM'd them to see if it were true), once this last set is sold, that's it - as in "once they're gone, they're gone forever".

FYI I bought an R-972 in late August, as part of an experiment I'm doing to compare to Audyssey XT32/Pro. Short version is that I'm using an Oppo 103 as a source for BluRay as well as TiVo and Apple TV via HDMI input, letting the R-972 apply Trinnov to that one HDMI input from the Oppo (with the Oppo outputting audio as LPCM), and using my existing Denon 4311 as an amp for the pre-out signal. The general idea is to use the Sherwood as a kind of REQ processor with benefits, and minimize its A/V sync liabilities. I also have a MiniDSP I'm using to integrate multiple subs. It's the "Rube Goldberg"/Frankenstein approach.

I've had some time issues due to work and a newborn, but I'm setting it up this weekend.

Wish me luck...

Last edited by sdrucker; 12-30-13 at 05:20 PM.