Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 88 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #871 of 944 Old 09-04-14, 02:25 AM
Shackster

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

I talked to the tech this morning and he said that I should talk to the person I got it from.

I don't believe they have more of these units so I either return it or live with the broken USB port.

That port is useful only for loading the bass targets as far as I am concerned. So if I can upload the bass targets using the RS232 then it's a non issue.

I'll sent an email to the seller to see what they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 944 Old 09-17-14, 11:38 PM
Shackster

Hello everyone, I recently purchased sherwood 972 and cannot get the trinnov set up to locate any of the speakers. If I get lucky I sometime get info for the front right. I only get three beeps before it moves on to the next speaker. I have tried adjusting the height of the tripod, moving the mic left and right, tilting the mic with no success. This I my second unit the first unit I ordered I could not get he trinnov to locate the speakers, so I returned it thinking it's a faulty unit. Any suggestions, I too called the 1800 number for sherwood and the tech guy wasn't any help. I would like to try and trouble shoot this unit because I have a feeling I may be doing something incorrectly. Even without the trinnov I like the way this receiver sounds
post #873 of 944 Old 09-18-14, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

That's an odd issue, are you pointing the mic up towards the ceiling? Are you certain that you have the phase correct for all your speaker wires?

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #874 of 944 Old 09-18-14, 01:43 PM
Shackster

I have the mic positioned where the red dot point to the front of the room and the prongs are pointing up. I will double check the phase on all speakers. Any other suggestions?
post #875 of 944 Old 09-18-14, 03:07 PM
Shackster

It's not a problem with speaker phase. Even if it were, Trinnov would simply correct the phase when it remapped.

Be sure the mic cable is fully inserted into the R-972. Then try a full reset. If neither solves your problem, it needs technical help.

Jeff
post #876 of 944 Old 09-18-14, 07:44 PM
Shackster

Well, I checked the phase on all of the speaker connections and all of them were correct. I also try what stereo Jeff recommended about the reset( I followed the instructions on page 1) and still no success with the trinnov feature. I am pretty bummed out because I was really looking forward to using the unit. Stereojeff what do you mean by technical help? Shipping it to manufacturer or calling the 1800 technical support number? I am determined to make it work and will be happy to trouble shoot it more if anyone has any other suggestions???

Thanks for you help so far guys!
post #877 of 944 Old 09-18-14, 07:52 PM
Shackster

Technical help as in service station repair.

Jeff
post #878 of 944 Old 09-18-14, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

How high off the floor do you have the mic, are your main speakers at ear level?
Try changing the "toe-in" of the speakers.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #879 of 944 Old 09-18-14, 11:05 PM
Shackster

I have tried placing the mic 3 ft off the ground, ear level, 4ft and 5ft. I have also made sure the mic was perfectly level on the tripod, I even tried angling the mic, with no luck. By toe in do you mean angle the speaker in towards each other a little? If so I tried that and that's is how I got the front right speaker to register. I was only able to get the front right speaker and I tried the set up 7 or so times. Mic in different parts of the room. Speakers are at the following heights:

Front towers are about 41" tall
Center is 26" off the floor
Surrounds are 55" from floor on in rear wall (couch backs up into wall)

I am a little apprehensive to ship this unit back to the seller since I already changed it out once and got almost the same results. The previous receiver would only read the front left speaker. I have even swapped the speakers around to make sure here wasn't something wrong with speakers and regardless of which speaker I use it only reads the front right.

Last edited by Ls1tx; 09-18-14 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #880 of 944 Old 09-18-14, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

hmm, I'm thinking something is wrong with the mic. Makes me wonder where the person you are getting these R972s from as all new stock was sold out many months ago. I'm leery about this.

Home theater:

Living room system: