Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 90 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #891 of 944 Old 09-23-14, 11:56 AM
Shackster

Quote:
tlkreddy wrote: View Post
Thank you islandman2020 for responding. Please advice if my connections are wrong. Oppo BDP-93 Video2 to R972 Video1 through HDMI(Audioquest COFFEE with DBS) and FL,C,FR,SR,SL pre outs of R972 to Emotiva XPA-5. SBR and SBL to the SURROUND BACK/MULTI connections of R972. The R972 Video1 is set to Trinnov calibrated position, FLAT,2D Spatial, CinemaEQ ON. The 3D spatial is good for sweet spot only and the dialogue moves to right or left when sitting 2ft right or left to sweet spot.
Not surprising, since the Sherwood's implementation of Trinnov only allows a single measurement, and 3D Remapping is sensitive to height and azimuth (horizontal) placement. You can measure and save up to three individual measurement/calibration positions, so in theory you could simply switch positions on Video 1 Output, or save a separate Video output to work with the Oppo 93 (currently HDMI 2, if that's what you mean by Video 2 Input in your first sentence). Then you would use all your other Video 1 Output settings with it (Flat, 2D or 3D Remapping. etc), with the exception of a different Measurement position for a location other than the sweet spot.

The "virtual" outputs are very handy. Even though I have just one HDMI video input (reserved for an Oppo 103 with two HDMI inputs I use for TiVo and either Apple TV or REW measuring), my R-972 is set up for five outputs: 7.1 no EQ (for testing purposes), 7.1 Music w/o remapping, 7.1 Music with 3D Remapping, 7.1 Cinema with 2D Remapping, and finally 7.1 Cinema with 3D Remapping. I also have a separate analog two-channel CD setting with Trinnov enabled - which you can do as the dedicated two-channel analog input can get calibrated - but I've found that I prefer multichannel upmixing so it's unused.

One nice thing about the R-972, and in some ways ahead of its time compared even to Audyssey-capable AVRs today, is the ability to switch between measurements and use Flat vs. a "Natural" (gently tilted) target curve. Also, due to the use of full range FIR and restricted bandwidth IIR filters, you can selectively EQ speakers only up to 300 Hz if you see fit, a/k/a the so-called Audiophile setting. For more information about Trinnov in its Sherwood form, see here: http://www.cahoyt.com/Trinnov/R972Trinnov.pdf

As to tech support advice, unfortunately at this point you're best off checking for advice here or on AVS Forum when it comes to the R-972, since apparently Sherwood USA no longer exists except as a placeholder name for value AVRs and Bluetooth/WiFi products (soundbars and speakers), with support outsourced to American Audio/Video (see the email and phone contact info on the Sherwood USA website), which is an importer/distributor of CE products according to their website. From your descriptions, the support person clearly doesn't have knowledge of basic pre/pro functionality, let alone the R-972. A sad end to a once SOTA product.

BTW I feed the 7 pre-outs from the Sherwood into the EXT. IN of a Denon AVR I use as an amp (as well as a conventional AVR with Audyssey XT32 engaged for other sources), and it works fine with Trinnov pre-out.

Last edited by sdrucker; 09-23-14 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #892 of 944 Old 09-23-14, 12:23 PM
Shackster

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Speaking of warranties, has anybody that has bought from AC4L in the past had to invoke warranty support this year? They sold their units with a three year warranty if I remember correctly, but just wondering how (or if) they're replacing any units sent back since the sale of receivers stopped in December of last year.
post #893 of 944 Old 09-23-14, 04:16 PM

Thank you sdrucker for taking time to explain and makes sense to me and appreciate it.

post #894 of 944 Old 09-24-14, 02:48 PM
Shackster

Hello all, I called the number that was posted for Eugene, but it's just a recording no real option to leave a message. Guess I will either return the unit for a refund (select is not willing to exchange it again) or I could keep it and not have the trinnov feature. For people that have owned the r972 and other recovers in the sub$700 range. Was the sound of the Sherwood comparable, I was blown away by how good this receiver sounded even without the auto eq compared toy previous entry level yamaha. I would hate to return it only to get a fully functioning not that sounds worst. I am wondering if the reason I think the sherwood sounds so nice is bc I am stepping up from a $100 yamaha I bought 8 yrs ago or if it's Because the sherwood is a better than most unit. If there are other reliever that are comparable (since I may have to move on from the sherwood) any suggestions on what to get? I am new to hometheater.

My speaker set up is as follows:
Front towers : boston acoustics rs334
Center : boston acoustic vs325c
Surrounds: dayton audio me625w (in walls)
Subwoofer: focal chorus sw700

Thanks

Last edited by Ls1tx; 09-24-14 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Added info
post #895 of 944 Old 09-24-14, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

A $100 receiver compared to a receiver that originally sold for $1800 is a big improvement just on its own. There were some real improvements made in DACs and such in around 2006 where the gap was really closed between the high end boutique units and lower end sub $500 units. You would very likely hear the same difference in any manufacturers receivers now compaird to your old Yamaha. Sadly its Trinnov that makes the R972 stand out and without that its really a wash.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #896 of 944 Old 09-24-14, 03:19 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Ls1tx wrote: View Post
Hello all, I called the number that was posted for Eugene, but it's just a recording no real option to leave a message. Guess I will either return the unit for a refund (select is not willing to exchange it again) or I could keep it and not have the trinnov feature. For people that have owned the r972 and other recovers in the sub$700 range. Was the sound of the Sherwood comparable, I was blown away by how good this receiver sounded even without the auto eq compared toy previous entry level yamaha. I would hate to return it only to get a fully functioning not that sounds worst. I am wondering if the reason I think the sherwood sounds so nice is bc I am stepping up from a $100 yamaha I bought 8 yrs ago or if it's Because the sherwood is a better than most unit. If there are other reliever that are comparable (since I may have to move on from the sherwood) any suggestions on what to get? I am new to hometheater.

My speaker set up is as follows:
Front towers : boston acoustics rs334
Center : boston acoustic vs325c
Surrounds: dayton audio me625w (in walls)
Subwoofer: focal chorus sw700

Thanks
One obvious thought: what volume are you using for the Trinnov cal? I'd try reference (0 on the volume) or close to it. Also, have you verified that all your speakers work without any EQ (setting=None on the relevant "video"/HDMI input), and that you have all speakers recognized on the Setup screen (i.e. speakers set to small for front, center and surrounds) and the subwoofer=yes? I do know that with the subs you sometimes have to raise their volume to get the sub channel recognized. And as far as I know the manual settings for level and distance are ignored by the Trinnov cal. However, you still have to define the right speakers + sub being present for the Sherwood implementation of Trinnov to recognize them.

I also take it that the mic you've got is the one with the Trinnov Audio label on front, and that it's plugged into the mic jack on the back of the receiver.

BTW I'm more of an AVS guy than a frequent poster here, but FWIW I'm upgrading to a Trinnov Altitude later this year or early next, so my R-972, which I bought in 9/13 from AC4L with a three year warranty at the time, will be available.
post #897 of 944 Old 09-24-14, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

The volume on the r972 is not adjustable during Trinnov. It automatically adjusts it level to 75db during its first sweep.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #898 of 944 Old 09-24-14, 03:40 PM
Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
The volume on the r972 is not adjustable during Trinnov. It automatically adjusts it level to 75db during its first sweep.
You're right: I forgot that in my setup I have the R-972 plugged on EXT. IN into the Denon and adjusted the volume on my 4311 a bit to get my sub(s) picked up by the cal, when I didn't want to play with the trims on my subs for other reasons (wanting to keep them intact to compare the R-972 to Audyssey). I'd vaguely remembered some guys on the other forum finding that different db levels made a difference in how well the cal picked up speakers, but that may have been to do using an amp with a gain control (i.e. a spare AVR), or just related to sub trim.

FWIW when I did my cals I had reference=0 to be conservative, and other than the sub issue and a minor one with getting a surround recognized initially, running the cal isn't difficult once you get the hang of positioning the mic to aim for 0 degrees center azimuth.
post #899 of 944 Old 11-04-14, 10:56 AM
Shackster

Need HDMI Board

The HDMI board in one of my R972's has failed. Sherwood/Inkel has no more. Does anyone have a working used board they can sell me? Please reply ASAP by email to bd (at) busdepot (dotcom). Thanks.
post #900 of 944 Old 11-04-14, 11:22 AM
Shackster

Re: Need HDMI Board

[QUOTE=busdepot;974049]The HDMI board in one of my R972's has failed. Sherwood/Inkel has no more. Does anyone have a working used board they can sell me? Please reply ASAP by email to bd (at) busdepot (dotcom). Thanks.[/QUOTE\]

busdepot, see if you can find out if other Sherwood's use the same HDMI board as the R-972. I have seen other Sherwood models with HDMI at <99.00 on Ebay. It may be possible to buy another model Sherwood at a reasonable price and have the HDMI boards swapped. Also, be sure to contact support@accessories4less.com
the last official distributor for the R-972.

Best of Luck!

Devlon