Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 93 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #921 of 944 Old 02-14-15, 10:58 PM
Shackster

bguzman

My System
Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

I got mine virtually new from a fellow Shakster. He used it for a couple of weeks but could not deal with the quirks. He bought it new when the price first dropped at A4L.

In Both Main HT Living Room HT
SIGHT
Mitsubishi ~ Samsung ~ Panasonic ~ Pioneer ~ Oppo ~ Marantz ~ Toshiba
SOUND
Polk ~ Klipsch ~ Sherwood/Newcastle ~ Pro-Ject ~ Def Tech ~ B&W ~ Klipsch ~ Infinity ~ Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #922 of 944 Old 02-15-15, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Sorry to hear that, do you have it plugged into a good surg protector?

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #923 of 944 Old 02-15-15, 02:56 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

That is too bad to hear about the problems some are having. I have (2) 972's and have not had any problems besides the usual quirks and 1 is used everyday.

I think I have had 1 of them for close to 3 years already, wow how time flies.

BeeMan458 wrote:

It's easier for you to prove I'm crazy than it is for me to prove I'm not.

post #924 of 944 Old 02-15-15, 10:46 PM
Shackster

bguzman

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Sorry to hear that, do you have it plugged into a good surg protector?
Yes, the same one I have plugged several receivers in with out any problems.

In Both Main HT Living Room HT
SIGHT
Mitsubishi ~ Samsung ~ Panasonic ~ Pioneer ~ Oppo ~ Marantz ~ Toshiba
SOUND
Polk ~ Klipsch ~ Sherwood/Newcastle ~ Pro-Ject ~ Def Tech ~ B&W ~ Klipsch ~ Infinity ~ Yamaha
post #925 of 944 Old 03-20-15, 01:29 PM
Caffinated Zen

Hello Gentlemen -

I have been following this forum and another similar site regarding my issues with the HDMI input boards on my 972. Both failed just before the end of the year. I have spoken to the same people (GG) mentioned above, and while he was kind enough to suggest I speak with a former Sherwood employee / Newcastle guru, we were unable to remedy my issues. I did get the email stating that Sherwood would not be able to honor the warranty due to lack of usable parts.

This is my first post. I am not bashing Sherwood or the receiver. It was great while it worked. My question is, has anyone attempted, or would anyone be interested in pursuing legal recourse? There are specific Federal laws that protect consumers from manufacturers that do not honor their stated or implied warranty.

My receiver worked for almost a year to the day. It was new/open box.

Just throwing this on the wall to see if anything sticks. I am pretty upset at how Sherwood is handling this and will not just "bend over and take it..."

Just a guy with a bricked receiver....

CZ
post #926 of 944 Old 03-20-15, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

@CZ, where did you purchase the recever?

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #927 of 944 Old 03-21-15, 02:49 PM
Caffinated Zen

Not sure if I'm allowed to say. Let's just go with a popular online retailer who sells "Peripheral at a Discount"....

It was a new item, open box. It was sold with a full 3 year manufacturer warranty.

Thanks for the reply.

CZ
post #928 of 944 Old 03-21-15, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Accessories4less? They were the only reliable place to get the R972 other places were sketchy at best. "Open box" always is a concern to me. That's always a red flag as it could be anything.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #929 of 944 Old 03-21-15, 08:33 PM
Caffinated Zen

Yes, that would be the place. It was sold with a full mfr warranty, so I wasn't too concerned. In fact, at the time it was the only make/model home theater receiver they were carrying with the three year. That was in fact a major selling point when I purchased.

It had quirks, but performed well for a year and change, then fizzle. A4L was great to work with, but according to this and other forums, quite a few people have had the HDMI failures, and all have gotten a similar song and dance from Sherwood. That is the reason for my OP.

Thanks,

CZ
post #930 of 944 Old 05-17-15, 09:00 PM
Shackster

Was happily enjoying my 7 month old R-972 (new in box from Accessories 4 Less from private seller).. Had finished a game of XBOX One with it, put it in StandBy mode.. Turned it on yesterday.. lights up like usual for the video selection I picked.. but no video.. In fact no video at all.. and ignores any attempt to try to get into setup mode using front panel controls and remote. I've tried everything (including reset, unplug, etc., etc.).. Other odd thing.. There was no odd pops or hisses.. nothing.. didn't lose power during the night.. runs through an AC line filter to clean AC signal..

I'm totally stumped.. even tried running component and removed all HDMI to see if I can get to setup.. Audio is working.. most all the controls work on the remote.. I can still switch video modes and hear the click as it tries to handshake..

ANY ideas are appreciated at this point.. I've written StereoJeff (formally from Sherwood Newcastle) but haven't heard back.. Any suggestions are welcome.. Does anyone have the latest firmware (1.47I).. Tempted to try to reload firmware.. :-(

Jay S.

Last edited by JaySinCT; 05-18-15 at 09:42 AM.