Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread - Page 94 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #931 of 944 Old 11-04-15, 03:26 PM
wes
Shackster

wes

Re: Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 Official Thread

Too bad it s discontinued Trinnov is now into the JBL Synthesis

Bowers and Wilkins 800 Diamond & 802 Diamond - B&W 802D2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 944 Old 11-11-15, 02:18 PM
Shackster

Quote:
wes wrote: View Post
Too bad it s discontinued Trinnov is now into the JBL Synthesis
While the Synthesis processor is based on Trinnov's Altitude, the JBL does not include Trinnov's Optimizer. It will be used with JBL's ARCOS room correction.

Jeff
post #933 of 944 Old 02-29-16, 02:57 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

I recently built an 18" sub and am using an Behringer iNuke 6000 DSP amp to power the sub. When I run the Trinnov setup it puts the sub at -15dB every time (any lower on the gain and the sub does not show up at all) With it running at -15dB there is just not enough signal for the amp to perform properly and it only is outputting a small fraction of its potential power.
If I turn Trinnov off and manually set the level in the receiver it works great. BTW I do have the +6dB file installed on the receiver.
Is there any kind of workaround for this where I can keep Trinnov running and still use my sub without resorting to some kind of signal booster?

Thanks!

post #934 of 944 Old 02-29-16, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Are you certain that the +6db file has truly taken it did not go the first time I tried. Also what level do you have the sub set at on the sub it's self.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #935 of 944 Old 02-29-16, 08:42 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Are you certain that the +6db file has truly taken it did not go the first time I tried. Also what level do you have the sub set at on the sub it's self.
Well when installing the +6dB file it gave the "completed" message. I seem to recall a way of checking if it was actually installed but I can not find the post with the instructions.
When running Trinnov I had the level on the sub amp at about the 9'o clock position. That was the lowest position I could use and still have Trinnov find the sub.
post #936 of 944 Old 04-26-16, 03:19 PM
Shackster

All,

Looking for some guidance (Jeff, perhaps you can help). I've got two of these now.. and maybe re-posting some issues in the hopes some "new light" might be shed. My original was working absolutely fine and one day I lost all video and the ability to activate "setup" from either the front panel or the remote. Audio remained fine. Picked up a second one that was supposedly fine.. Well, that one arrived with all video and setup working, but no audio (I mean no audio not even test tones).. So I'm thinking that there has to be one good unit perhaps between these two!!! I've tried all the obvious things like reset, etc.. nothing makes a difference in either one (I did get my money back on the second and got to keep it).

Is there ANYONE out there that still works on these that perhaps could make one good one from the two? Any ideas on the second one without audio? Pulled the covers and even though I've built quite a few PCs in my time, some of these connections and how to detach/re-attach are pretty foreign.. At some point will give up the ghost on these two, but hoping for one last ray of light as I said... I've even still got the R865 I had when I stepped up to the 972!! Replaced the 972 with Denon 4311CI which is a very capable receiver with Audessey (full) but I do miss the Trinnov optimization..

Any and all thoughts are VERY welcome.. Thanks..

Jay S.
post #937 of 944 Old 04-26-16, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Well, I would guess that the first one has a HDMI board failure. The second one not so sure. Have you tried doing a full reset on both receivers?

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #938 of 944 Old 04-26-16, 05:53 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Well, I would guess that the first one has a HDMI board failure. The second one not so sure. Have you tried doing a full reset on both receivers?
Yes on the reset (unless there is another unpublished reset I'm not aware of)... I agree about the HDMI board and since the second has video was hoping I could open up the cases and swap the HDMI board over to the first. It's easy enough to get into the case, even remove the screws in back to loosen the board. The issue is the connectors.. There is a bridge connector across from the HDMI board to the board with digital audio inputs that I REALLY didn't want to force.. there are a couple of ribbon/flex cable connections where I can't seem to find an "unlock" mechanism.. I'm not a novice at inside electronics, but there are just some things inside this puppy I'm not familiar with..

Anyone ever swap an HDMI board in these receivers or know of someone who can???

Would appreciate any info (and thanks for the reply Tony).
post #939 of 944 Old 04-26-16, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
To reset the R-972 to factory settings:
Once in Standby Mode, press and hold down the STANDBY & MEMO/ENTER buttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds. This will reset the unit and it will turn on automatically. If the reset was successful, you should notice that the receiver powers up at 87.5 FM .
This is how you do the reset ^^

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #940 of 944 Old 04-26-16, 07:00 PM
Shackster

Quote:
This is how you do the reset ^^

Did that many times.. unfortunately